MSP being ridiculous about my CCW app: Appeal Sent In!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    I thought the permit was for use only when conducting financial transactions for the business - not for taking a potential client to lunch ect...?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Restrictions do have weight now. They are now codified under SB281. If they determine you are outside your restrictions, you are carrying your gun on the same legal level as a felon who just got out of jail. I am willing to bet he would probably get lighter sentence too.

You're right, carrying outside of restrictions once only meant you could lose your permit (administrative), now it's punitive.

Have a legal explanation offered by your attorney , not an excuse offered during the incident

This is technically the best option if you know you are going to be detained/arrested. But if you can articulate to an officer who you are and why you have a gun, I.e. Prove your legitimacy being within the law, you may avoid the awkward ride down town in the first place. But you better be right and know your stuff. Highly situation dependent, get some legal advice and role-play (rehearse) interacting with police and other scenarios.

I have my interview tomorrow as an employee. I have suggested restriction language in my application.

Please explore them to stop giving restrictions at all. But as a last resort, giving them the vague words is a good idea to try.

I quoted exactly what my permit says.

Thanks for doing that. If a lot of people did that it would be possible to illustrate how arbitrary and capricious giving restrictions is.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Please explore them to stop giving restrictions at all. But as a last resort, giving them the vague words is a good idea to try.

Without a major change in direction from MSP, I do not foresee myself getting a restriction-less permit. That being said, my application stated:

"I am requesting a permit without restrictions. If MSP deems restrictions necessary, I am requesting the following restriction:..."

Can't hurt to ask, right? The "while transporting firearms" restriction would not work for me, though. What definition of firearm are we using, because if I'm transporting solely suppressors for T&E or coating, that wouldn't cover me.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Without a major change in direction from MSP, I do not foresee myself getting a restriction-less permit. That being said, my application stated:

"I am requesting a permit without restrictions. If MSP deems restrictions necessary, I am requesting the following restriction:..."

Can't hurt to ask, right? The "while transporting firearms" restriction would not work for me, though. What definition of firearm are we using, because if I'm transporting solely suppressors for T&E or coating, that wouldn't cover me.

If you are transporting a firearm(s), you can carry your firearm. Yep, makes sense to me. The FFL restriction is about as unrestricted as one can get.

The one you carry is also being transported, isn't it?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Without a doubt....as would the members of a jury have a different interpretation....

Hypothetically speaking, based on your restrictions, if you had to use your sidearm to defend yourself from an attacker while showing a home.....I would have no problem finding you innocent...

If you had to use it while pumping gas at the WaWa or while walking your dog...you might not get so lucky.....

Restrictions should be black and white.......

Note to self: If I ever have to use a firearm because someone tried to rob me at a WaWa where I was putting gas into my company vehicle at 4 in the morning after working all night remind defense attorney to strike the guy in the mask with the indian side kick from the jury pool.....

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Mine just says "while conducting business as a licensed real estate agent".

My permit was issued based on my occupation as a real estate agent. The only restriction listed is that my permit is ONLY valid for use "during real estate business activities".

There was no additional information provided by my broker. The only additional document I provided was a copy of my current real estate certificate as the one I had proved to my interviewing trooper was an expired wallet card.

Make sure you keep your current real estate card in your wallet. Keeping an expired one may cause some problems. :D

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Without a doubt....as would the members of a jury have a different interpretation....

Hypothetically speaking, based on your restrictions, if you had to use your sidearm to defend yourself from an attacker while showing a home.....I would have no problem finding you innocent...

If you had to use it while pumping gas at the WaWa or while walking your dog...you might not get so lucky.....

Restrictions should be black and white.......

And others (most in Md) would find him guilty as a mofo. I deal in reality. Maryland unless the jury is a troop of Boy Scouts with shooting merit badges is out for blood.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    And others (most in Md) would find him guilty as a mofo. I deal in reality. Maryland unless the jury is a troop of Boy Scouts with shooting merit badges is out for blood.
    Out for blood on law abiding citizens.

Not out for blood when it comes to thugs who are repeat offenders.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Nate, that's perfect.

If you can't get unrestricted, I think "while carrying a firearm" is essentially the same thing.

Also, if it says while transporting suppressor, how hard would it be to always have a suppressor with you? Rhetorical question. :)

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I have refused to bite on the MSP's bait of supplying a letter of sponsorship from my firm, or providing documented threats. Neither are required under the current Maryland statutes, and certainly not under any 2A decisions.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yeah , what post #42 said FSA crimilizing carry outside of restrictions.

From personal observation Permits had restrictions , no reason to think that wasn't the case back to 1972.

But meanwhile , be careful what you ( generic ) wask for. Usta be that most business related Permits had clear cut black & white restrictions. To wit : Between residence , business , and bank . Easy to understnd. The recent "while conducting business finiancial transactions undoubtedly does open more possbilities for Permit holders , but with the two edged sword of vagueness.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

How about "transport of high-value controlled items?"

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The public does not know that I am or am not working when they see me out and about.

You know. It's not about just working, it's about working in a vulnerable and/or dangerous situation. Showing a house by yourself @ 9pm in the "Hood" ...yes. Talking houses while your at a family picnic in a public park @ noon?......good luck.

I fully agree. While I was going to do a long post about this I decided not to. My late wife was an RE agent for 2 different companies during her time. I know what really constitutes business in the legal sense. She was 4' 10" and 110 lbs and if anybody needed a carry permit she did.

capinyoass

Apr 19, 2013
    Knew a guy who did night deposits for a 24hr grocery store, said cops pulled him over on the way back to the store a time or two checking the firearm was unloaded and secured, as "business" was concluded the minute the deposit door closed.

capinyoass

Apr 19, 2013
    Montoya, best of luck, I appreciate your effort in furthering our cause. I don't want to see you wind up with the shitty end of the stick.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Knew a guy who did night deposits for a 24hr grocery store, said cops pulled him over on the way back to the store a time or two checking the firearm was unloaded and secured, as "business" was concluded the minute the deposit door closed.

Montoya, best of luck, I appreciate your effort in furthering our cause. I don't want to see you wind up with the shitty end of the stick.

Business is typically sufficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom