• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Here is a really stupid question. Are you guys measuring the OAL of your pistol with the brace extended all the way out? or with it all the way on?
    Also nothing on barrel that isn’t pinned and welded. Some say silver solder but I wouldn’t use that for this.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    What UPS store did you use? Do they all do it, and when is the end of the free tax stamp deadline? I may have to suck it up and do a couple I have.
    Here’s the link to setup appointment online and pre-register. I used one in Annapolis but looks like a lot of them do it. File was in my email by the time I got home.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    With brace fully extended. This is the way the ATF defines OAL (and I believe Maryland follows this convention.)
    All the way out. Actually longer with a shockwave blade/buffer tube than with a traditional tube/stock. Got my 10.5 to 31.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    OK... I'm still teetering on the edge of a decision. I believe that I saw that under the MDSP advisory, folks were now getting approval for braced pistols that are under 29" so long as you keep it in that configuration (i.e., don't put a regular stock on it, and MD still considers it a pistol). Can I ask for confirmation on that? Thanks.

This whole thing sickenates me, but I guess it's time to crap or get off the pot.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    OK... I'm still teetering on the edge of a decision. I believe that I saw that under the MDSP advisory, folks were now getting approval for braced pistols that are under 29" so long as you keep it in that configuration (i.e., don't put a regular stock on it, and MD still considers it a pistol). Can I ask for confirmation on that? Thanks.

This whole thing sickenates me, but I guess it's time to crap or get off the pot.
    I'm still on the pot... I'm thinking I'll just keep them as pistols with no braces for the time being and bury the braces in the backyard for down the road, along with my switches, FRT's, and binaries.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

My two submissions are exactly as you described, under 29” OAL braced pistols built as such. First one took 9 days to receive approval, second one is still out. Was my first time doing it also, very simple process with the eForm1.

Rabu Rabu

Operatoroperatoroperator
    Sep 10, 2012
    Cambridge, MD

Yes, the way my SOT explained it was that if you submit for the amnesty and get approved on a sub 29" centerfire semi-auto, it you can keep and continue using your brace as you currently are. As far as the feds are concerned it is now a 'stamped' form 1 firearm, and if our copycat laws go away, we can equip them with stocks, or for example, if you take it out of state and happen to have the means to swap the stock out.

According to him the only reason we have to keep braces on these is MD's copycat law, and the approved stamps say as much. However, if you happen to have a braced pistol that's 29" or longer, you can equip it with a stock, no foul when approved, just like a normal F1.

Last edited:

Tree Rat

Always a good target
    May 20, 2005
    Maybe already stated in the thread some where...If you FORM 1 your Pistol in this "amnesty" period, you can at a future date alter the SBR to another barrel length under 16", without submitting for another stamp.

Example: FORM-1 a CMMG Banshee Pistol, with brace, in 9mm or 45, with 8-inch barrel, then later add a 10.5-inch barrel, which also makes it compliant to MD >29 inch OAL law when adding a standard stock.

EDIT: 10.5 inch barrel SBR assumes the use of a standard 6-position carbine buffer tube, and at least a 7 plus inch stock to make 29 inch OAL. MAGPUL 7-position buffer tube and ACL-S stock will get you 29 inch or better, and perhaps allow for a slightly shorter barrel than 10.5, and still make 29 inch OAL for MD....YMMV.

Just passing on from experience.

TR

Last edited:

reckless1911

Nov 19, 2012
    Odenton
    question... does the free form 1 "work" for new lower purchase that might be made ? or are they verifying the serial to the date it was transferred to you to see if its before some date they have set for when this all kicked off?

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Yes, the way my SOT explained it was that if you submit for the amnesty and get approved on a sub 29" centerfire semi-auto, it you can keep and continue using your brace as you currently are. As far as the feds are concerned it is now a 'stamped' form 1 firearm, and if our copycat laws go away, we can equip them with stocks, or for example, if you take it out of state and happen to have the means to swap the stock out.

According to him the only reason we have to keep braces on these is MD's copycat law, and the approved stamps say as much. However, if you happen to have a braced pistol that's 29" or longer, you can equip it with a stock, no foul when approved, just like a normal F1.
    Thanks very much.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    question... does the free form 1 "work" for new lower purchase that might be made ? or are they verifying the serial to the date it was transferred to you to see if its before some date they have set for when this all kicked off?
    The rules state it cannot be past the date of them publishing the rule. January something. Who knows if they are actually verifying the date, but, do you want to take that chance?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You had to have had the gun or lower by 1/31/23 to qualify. Offer terminates on 5/31/23.

mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    Ok I am late to this game. Need fingerprints with the form 1. Just talked to the gun shop that does live scan and he said it won’t work because they don’t print the cards but I thought I could get the electronic live scan ones and apply on line? Do I need the card finger prints or can I attach the file from live scan?
    also what pictures do I need?
    Thanks
    Mike

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Ok I am late to this game. Need fingerprints with the form 1. Just talked to the gun shop that does live scan and he said it won’t work because they don’t print the cards but I thought I could get the electronic live scan ones and apply on line? Do I need the card finger prints or can I attach the file from live scan?
    Thanks
    Mike
    They probably dont have the ability to send the etf file. Its a different system to do the ones the state wants sent to em, and different for the one that lets them save or copy the file.

order a pack of 10 from amazon along with a pad, and start practicing. its not very hard, I have done 5 or 6 sets of my own at this point and never had a set rejected.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Thanks
    Mike
    Get prints at UPS store and you’ll get the ETF file. Very easy.

sygata

Feb 13, 2012
    In a theory, lets say I have a registered AR-15 SBR already, and a pistol with brace. I can just remove the brace from the pistol with the intent to use it on existing SBR, and I don't have to register or modify anything, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom