• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Smigiel tried that on the House side by reporting the facts (machine sold, program defunct) during the budgetary discussions trying to remove the budget line item as an alternative tact, even reported that Vallario wouldn't let the repeal bill outta the drawer (that guy has some nerve reporting on his committee chair on the House floor! ;)). McDermott jumped in and backed him up. Lol, the budget guy said, well we still have the requirement, so we have to fund it. Then to put the cherry on top, Dumais stood up and asked her colleagues to "resist" the amendment, since the MSP spent the money "wisely" last year and acknowledged it was a discretionary funding stream. Great, we just give state agencies money to spend as they see fit...

This is a different tact from a different committee, the committee asked for the information in a report from MSP. MSP has to respond, we will have to wait and see if it makes a difference next session.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    This is a different tact from a different committee, the committee asked for the information in a report from MSP. MSP has to respond, we will have to wait and see if it makes a difference next session.

Yep, got that. Just regurgitating this years line of bs. Another year, another how many shell casings in the barrel, AND how much $$$ on the consumer end??? So what, right?

Never imagined it was this bad in Maryland...

3 months to get a ban in place, 6+ years to get a defunct program defunded and repealed.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hold up MX and SNI. Go back to your 4-203. Hunting is already an aproved reason to use a handgun. Unloaded transport per usual guidelines to/ from the place of hunting.

The problem that was just corrected was that the Natural Resources Code specifically excluded "while bowhunting during the bowhunting season", even for the anointed few w/ unrestricted Permits.

Under the new law , you may now carry handguns ( of certain bbl length , sight system , and not used to hunt anything else ). The anointed may conceal , the rest openly.

As it already is , if you posses a valid hunting licsense ( or are exempt ) you may transport by usual methods throughout the state to place of hunting ( so long as Somthing is in season & huntable w/ handgun ) , strap on your handgun and stroll thru the woods ( following regs for blaze orange , etc ).

All we're doing is giving parity to bow hunters.( A few more specific details about specific handguns and specific game , but the short version for non-hunters ).

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hold up MX and SNI. Go back to your 4-203. Hunting is already an aproved reason to use a handgun. Unloaded transport per usual guidelines to/ from the place of hunting.

The problem that was just corrected was that the Natural Resources Code specifically excluded "while bowhunting during the bowhunting season", even for the anointed few w/ unrestricted Permits.

Under the new law , you may now carry handguns ( of certain bbl length , sight system , and not used to hunt anything else ). The anointed may conceal , the rest openly.

As it already is , if you posses a valid hunting licsense ( or are exempt ) you may transport by usual methods throughout the state to place of hunting ( so long as Somthing is in season & huntable w/ handgun ) , strap on your handgun and stroll thru the woods ( following regs for blaze orange , etc ).

All we're doing is giving parity to bow hunters.( A few more specific details about specific handguns and specific game , but the short version for non-hunters ).

The lead in paragraph from SB231 of interest:
    (2) THE DEPARTMENT MAY NOT PROHIBIT A LICENSED BOW HUNTER FROM OPENLY CARRYING A HANDGUN THAT THE HUNTER IS OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED TO CARRY UNDER § 4–203 OF THE CRIMINAL LAW ARTICLE IF THE BOW HUNTER:
    Here's two possible applicable sections from 4-203(b):
    (2) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person to whom a permit to wear, carry, or transport the handgun has been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

During the hearing for this bill (I listened online to the senate committee hearing and may have heard wrong...), the sponsor highlighted that a person with a carry permit was currently prohibited from carrying while bow hunting under DNR code and that was the fix with this bill. So it sounded like 4-203(b)(2) was what SB231 was focusing on.... But since the bill didn't actually call that section of 4-203 out, you're saying it opens up invocation of 4-203(b)(4)...

And you're saying that Dumais and Simmons (specifically), along with everyone else on HJC, and Frosh (during the Senate floor vote) voted to allowanyoneto carry a loaded handgun while bow hunting regardless of whether they have a carry permit?

This is curious... " wearing, carrying, or transporting... while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;". (specifically removed the stuff in the middle for verbiage application and bolded the curious part).

Hmmmmmm.... I am going back and listening again.

SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    Interesting story here....The Senate Budget committee put in an amendment for a report from MSP on the program. I believe they had 4 questions;

Number of crimes solved with the program, last time the machine was used, and a couple of others I do not remember. Yes, these are all questions that have been asked and answered and even repeated. But my guess would be that if we can get the Senate budget office to see the report from our side and then have them submit a bill to cancel the program and rescind the law, then we have the ability to go at it from both sides of the street.

I think this is a huge step in the right direction. MSP is being held accountable for the program as they should be. I am sure the report will be full of smoke and mirrors, unlike the 2004 report that was produced by MSP employees when they had a backbone. They are now just political pawns as we observed from the pathetic written testimonies presented by them at the hearings. I expect this report to be just as ridiculous. The good news is, many more people will see it and critique it. This increases the likelihood of any ruse presented by MSP to be seen through.

Because the other Committee is now involved and aware of the issue, Vallario cannot as easily hide the bill to repeal the law in his drawer like he has year after year. I know I am not the only one to get in their faces about this bill this year. Thank you for everyone's hard work. I look forward to making the same effort next year and getting this wasteful law off the books.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Interesting story here....The Senate Budget committee put in an amendment for a report from MSP on the program. I believe they had 4 questions;

Number of crimes solved with the program, last time the machine was used, and a couple of others I do not remember. Yes, these are all questions that have been asked and answered and even repeated. But my guess would be that if we can get the Senate budget office to see the report from our side and then have them submit a bill to cancel the program and rescind the law, then we have the ability to go at it from both sides of the street.

Do you know which enrolled bill the amendment is attached to? Can't find it under sb170...

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado

Coyote are in season year round and huntable with a handgun as long as you have the $5 furbearer stamp. There is no blaze orange requirement to hunt them... :innocent0

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You go there CSM , I had been thinking of groundhog.

And yes , ONE of the points raised was about the chosen few being forced to disarm specifically while bowhunting.

But keep in mind of the COMAR regarding no firearms in State Forrests , and the exception for hunting. Add a cpl of animals with year round , or nearly year round season, huntable with handguns. Suddenly Hunter Safety is not just for HQL's anymore.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Nice to see a few bills make it through! Thanks for all of the hard work!

As for the shell casing law - if it looks like a tax and smells like a tax, then that is probably what it is. It is a tax that is levied against gun owners, plus it is a burden on gun sellers, so I am sure they want to keep it on the books forever. It will be interesting to see the MSP report and what action gets taken after that document is published.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom