• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    SNI , unless I blinked , you didn't include the bowhunting/ handgun Bill in your sumation. This is an actual victory , that I didn't expect to get through. I might have to dig out crossbow , and actual venture off my own property and purchase a Md Hunting Lic.

( Yes , this is signifigent. For 10yr plus - have been avoiding my former favored places in western Md , and going to Va/ WV because they honor my Civil Rights , and Md soesn't , and my $ follows. )

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That's not true at all, my friend.

Don't worry, Mopar, I've put my foot in my mouth in this manner, too. Remember, there were people doing this long before you or I came along. They have done a lot that isn't common knowledge. Once the next session comes we forget the last.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    SNI , unless I blinked , you didn't include the bowhunting/ handgun Bill in your sumation. This is an actual victory , that I didn't expect to get through. I might have to dig out crossbow , and actual venture off my own property and purchase a Md Hunting Lic.

( Yes , this is signifigent. For 10yr plus - have been avoiding my former favored places in western Md , and going to Va/ WV because they honor my Civil Rights , and Md soesn't , and my $ follows. )

Was in an earlier post. Added what passed this year to the wrap up post. :)

I know it was one of your closely tracked bills.

Thank you for all of your time and efforts this year hanging down there, testifying, writing and keeping folks informed what was going on down there, my friend.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    That's not true at all, my friend.

And thank YOU for kicking off the session establishing all the bill threads, supporting the efforts in Annapolis and for everything you do/have done to help preserve the 2A in Maryland past, present (and future).

Can't wait to meet you one of these days, even though I hope there is some sort of vertical compensator (maybe a stepstool?) in the mix when that does finally happen. 8)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    And thank YOU for kicking off the session establishing all the bill threads, supporting the efforts in Annapolis and for everything you do/have done to help preserve the 2A in Maryland past, present (and future).

Can't wait to meet you one of these days, even though I hope there is some sort of vertical compensator (maybe a stepstool?) in the mix when that does finally happen. 8)

Having seen both of you, I suggest skipping the step stool and going straight for the ladder. :D

Mr H

Banana'd
    We kept the ammo and firearms tax from going to a separate revenue stream and leaving it open to gradual increase by pointing out the corruption going on with DDA funding with a first class MDS research effort.

We kept them from removing the 8 day release option. That was one heck of an effort by all. Circles and arrows included

These are the biggies this time around, IMO.

We eked out a slim overall 'plus' this year, but we need to understand that there was no way they were going to allow pro-gun bills to be brought forward, thus preventing us from claiming huge victories.

We didn't cede ground, though, which will be seen as both big and 'meh', and even by some a loss.

The biggest thing we did was to lay the groundwork for continued pressure in coming years, and an interaction among 2A groups that was somewhat lacking in prior years.

Now, we focus on elections, and shifting the power structure.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I'll gladly go back down to Annapolis anytime to testify, as unfortunate the need is to do so.

Thanks to all for the info and planning!

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Regarding SB231, it sounds as if you still need a carry permit. From the bill:

10 (2) THE DEPARTMENT MAY NOT PROHIBIT A LICENSED BOW
    11 HUNTER FROM OPENLY CARRYING A HANDGUN THAT THE HUNTER IS
    12 OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED TO CARRY UNDER § 4–203 OF THE CRIMINAL LAW
    13 ARTICLE IF THE BOW HUNTER:

14 (I) IS AT LEAST 21 YEARS OLD;

15 (II) IS HUNTING IN DEER MANAGEMENT REGION A AS
    16 DEFINED BY THE DEPARTMENT’S GUIDE TO HUNTING AND TRAPPING;

17 (III) IS CARRYING THE HANDGUN FOR PERSONAL
    18 PROTECTION; AND

19 (IV) DOES NOT USE THE HANDGUN TO KILL WILDLIFE
    20 WOUNDED BY A VERTICAL BOW OR CROSSBOW.

4-203 states you can't carry basically unless you happen to be one of the few licensed to carry. To me, this just says that if you have a carry permit, the DNR can't tell you not to carry it.

Am I missing something?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Regarding SB231, it sounds as if you still need a carry permit. From the bill:

10 (2) THE DEPARTMENT MAY NOT PROHIBIT A LICENSED BOW
    11 HUNTER FROM OPENLY CARRYING A HANDGUN THAT THE HUNTER IS
    12 OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED TO CARRY UNDER § 4–203 OF THE CRIMINAL LAW
    13 ARTICLE IF THE BOW HUNTER:

14 (I) IS AT LEAST 21 YEARS OLD;

15 (II) IS HUNTING IN DEER MANAGEMENT REGION A AS
    16 DEFINED BY THE DEPARTMENT’S GUIDE TO HUNTING AND TRAPPING;

17 (III) IS CARRYING THE HANDGUN FOR PERSONAL
    18 PROTECTION; AND

19 (IV) DOES NOT USE THE HANDGUN TO KILL WILDLIFE
    20 WOUNDED BY A VERTICAL BOW OR CROSSBOW.

4-203 states you can't carry basically unless you happen to be one of the few licensed to carry. To me, this just says that if you have a carry permit, the DNR can't tell you not to carry it.

Am I missing something?

Nope. Was pointed out during the hearings...

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So the shell casing bill never went anywhere?

Interesting story here....The Senate Budget committee put in an amendment for a report from MSP on the program. I believe they had 4 questions;

Number of crimes solved with the program, last time the machine was used, and a couple of others I do not remember. Yes, these are all questions that have been asked and answered and even repeated. But my guess would be that if we can get the Senate budget office to see the report from our side and then have them submit a bill to cancel the program and rescind the law, then we have the ability to go at it from both sides of the street.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Interesting story here....The Senate Budget committee put in an amendment for a report from MSP on the program. I believe they had 4 questions;

Number of crimes solved with the program, last time the machine was used, and a couple of others I do not remember. Yes, these are all questions that have been asked and answered and even repeated. But my guess would be that if we can get the Senate budget office to see the report from our side and then have them submit a bill to cancel the program and rescind the law, then we have the ability to go at it from both sides of the street.

Smigiel tried that on the House side by reporting the facts (machine sold, program defunct) during the budgetary discussions trying to remove the budget line item as an alternative tact, even reported that Vallario wouldn't let the repeal bill outta the drawer (that guy has some nerve reporting on his committee chair on the House floor! ;)). McDermott jumped in and backed him up. Lol, the budget guy said, well we still have the requirement, so we have to fund it. Then to put the cherry on top, Dumais stood up and asked her colleagues to "resist" the amendment, since the MSP spent the money "wisely" last year and acknowledged it was a discretionary funding stream. Great, we just give state agencies money to spend as they see fit...

SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    Smigiel tried that on the House side by reporting the facts (machine sold, program defunct) during the budgetary discussions trying to remove the budget line item as an alternative tact, even reported that Vallario wouldn't let the repeal bill outta the drawer (that guy has some nerve reporting on his committee chair on the House floor! ;)). McDermott jumped in and backed him up. Lol, the budget guy said, well we still have the requirement, so we have to fund it. Then to put the cherry on top, Dumais stood up and asked her colleagues to "resist" the amendment, since the MSP spent the money "wisely" last year and acknowledged it was a discretionary funding stream. Great, we just give state agencies money to spend as they see fit...

Unbelievable. So we still have to deal with shell casing so MSP can have a little extra doe to play with? They are breaking the law by not recording the shall casing images into a "pertinent databases" as required, but no one seems to care about that. Combine that with what Dumais said and you have nothing less than corruption. What a bunch of pathetic lowlifes.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Unbelievable. So we still have to deal with shell casing so MSP can have a little extra doe to play with? They are breaking the law by not recording the shall casing images into a "pertinent databases" as required, but no one seems to care about that. Combine that with what Dumais said and you have nothing less than corruption. What a bunch of pathetic lowlifes.
    Yep. They have no problem making things more difficult for us for absolutely NO REASON AT ALL, because they can put money into a program that doesn't exist and spend it somewhere else.....

gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    I am a big dummy, but does anyone else see some significance in Maryland passing a law that says a handgun can be carried for self defense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom