Can licensed hunters be accompanied by non-licensed observers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Question for the MDS crowd:

I'm a licensed hunter and would like to take one of my non-licensed friends hunting with me as an observer to introduce him to it. The idea is that I show/teach, he just observes and learns without touching the gun or bow.

What I have in mind is to try to teach the things that I know won't be covered in the Hunter Safety class such as finding a good place to hunt, how to field dress, etc. Anybody know if this is prohibited or have experience with this?

I checked the Hunting & Trapping guide and searched online but can't find this specifically addressed anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I might be wrong as I didn't look at the regs, but in most states, if he doesn't have a gun/bow and doesn't help to call, dress or remove the game, I think it's OK.

Edit: you might call DNR to confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    As you have described the observer's limited role, you are good to go! And well done too! We need more responsible hunters out there! Let us know how it goes!

hutchinsonkw

Dec 18, 2012
    Central Md
    You are good to go. I have done the same with my girlfriend to introduce her to hunting. I asked dnr and was told she has to be strictly an observer.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I would think that they should also have written permission to be on the land too.

If it is your land, no. Private land is ask, but since they aren't hunting, they probably don't need the express written permission so long as the land owner knows they will be on the property (courtesy thing).

If you mean more than being a strict observer if private land, it doesn't matter, no license the only thing you can do is observe, even if you own the property. The only exceptions to that is the actual land owner(s), their spouses and their children can hunt the property without a hunting license. Any other people including other immediate relatives would need a license.

If you are observing pretty much none of the hunting rules apply (but wear blaze orange anyway!!!). An exception would probably be public lands where total number of hunters is limited. Observers may not be allowed then, but definitely check DNR about that.

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    If it is your land, no. Private land is ask, but since they aren't hunting, they probably don't need the express written permission so long as the land owner knows they will be on the property (courtesy thing).

If you mean more than being a strict observer if private land, it doesn't matter, no license the only thing you can do is observe, even if you own the property. The only exceptions to that is the actual land owner(s), their spouses and their children can hunt the property without a hunting license. Any other people including other immediate relatives would need a license.

If you are observing pretty much none of the hunting rules apply (but wear blaze orange anyway!!!). An exception would probably be public lands where total number of hunters is limited. Observers may not be allowed then, but definitely check DNR about that.

I would agree with this.:thumbsup:

marcwells

Aug 7, 2022
    United States
    Question for the MDS crowd:

I'm a licensed hunter and would like to take one of my non-licensed friends hunting with me as an observer to introduce him to it. The idea is that I show/teach, he just observes and learns without touching the gun or bow.

What I have in mind is to try to teach the things that I know won't be covered in the Hunter Safety class such as finding a good place to hunt, how to field dress, etc. Anybody know if this is prohibited or have experience with this?

I checked the Hunting & Trapping guide and searched online but can't find this specifically addressed anywhere can i go hunting with someone without a license.

Thanks in advance!
    Does anyone know the rules for bringing a non-hunter in the field other than the obvious being the non-hunter is not allowed to shoot? I want to take my girlfriend out to watch a hunt and hadn't thought much of it until one of my buddies said I should be careful and that technically she needs a license, HIP number, and duck stamp to be out there. I told him he had it wrong and I plan to follow it up with a call to the DEC to be sure. I thought someone out there would have a good idea. Any thoughts?

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    There was a thread a while back on an online Hunter Safety Course (Texas?) that you can use for your MD Hunter's license. I don't have time to search for it. Your buddies would be able to hunt with you.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm sure you do not need a permit to walk in the woods. Yet.
    Should be good to go. Wear proper attire depending on the season.
    Yes as well as everything else already being answered.

So long as they are just in an observational capacity and aren't doing anything related to the hunt itself, good to go. Though IIRC MD DOES require anyone accompanying the hunter to wear the appropriate high vis clothing based on the season/game. I am not positive on that, but it for sure as heck is the smart thing to do.

I don't think DNR is going to gig you if your girlfriend, kid, neighbor, or work buddy nudges you to point out a deer you haven't seen. Probably don't have them arm deep in a deer chest cavity or covered in blood if a NRP officer shows up. And for sure as heck don't let them carry whatever hunting implements at any point in time no matter what (doesn't matter if you are dragging a deer out, you carry your bow/rifle, not your non-participating buddy).

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Now if the 'observer' had his hunting privileges suspended and the 'hunter' is his gf who barely made it through hunter safety class, NRP is gonna have questions.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    The word the lawman uses is participate in the hunt. The observer is not allowed to participate, which means calling, setting decoys, carrying your bag, stand or decoy, help finding downed game, driving deer, picking up your empty shells.
    Depends on how hard nose a game warden can be. Some can be over ambitious.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    The word the lawman uses is participate in the hunt. The observer is not allowed to participate, which means calling, setting decoys, carrying your bag, stand or decoy, help finding downed game, driving deer, picking up your empty shells.
    Depends on how hard nose a game warden can be. Some can be over ambitious.
    I have NEVER heard of this before. For as long as I can remember, kids, girlfriends, random buddies, etc have helped folks look for deer, carry gear, drag deer, and pretty much everything except pull the trigger. My understanding was always that if you didn't have a gun you weren't hunting.

Note that I did not grow up in, nor do I currently reside in Maryland. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they were weird like that there

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    From about age 6 I used to go with my father rabbit and pheasant hunting, and sometimes deer hunting. I was the beagle, and could get into all the tight little briar patches to kick up the bunnies ( I used to get stuck so bad he’d have to come in to get me out). I did this for years, including helping gut and drag deer. I got my license when I was 12. I was no different than any other kid I knew, we participated all the time but didn’t hunt until we could.

I suppose an actual definition wouldn’t be a bad thing to get from DNR.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Don't forget in MD there is also the Apprentice license so this person CAN hunt with you.
    This was new as of few years ago.

My father's (RIP) first hunt about a decade ago was a similar program in Va. Then he got his Tx online license then MD and Va.
    Bagged a big buck on his first hunt. My Brother in law screamed "This just ain't fair".

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I have NEVER heard of this before. For as long as I can remember, kids, girlfriends, random buddies, etc have helped folks look for deer, carry gear, drag deer, and pretty much everything except pull the trigger. My understanding was always that if you didn't have a gun you weren't hunting.

Note that I did not grow up in, nor do I currently reside in Maryland. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they were weird like that there
    That is what everyone overlooks. The number of guns used in the hunt.

Bowhunting season isn't a big deal, because people don't carry extra bows. When hunters start carrying extra muzzle loading handguns or legal revolvers.

This is where extra scrutiny will get applied, counting the number of bodies versus the number of guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom