• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Took awhile but here you go: a freeze frame from Delegate Mike Smigiel's video of his rejection by the old HPRB.

I take it this is Made Member Chairman Thomas with the fine nails and beautyful jewelry? (Cross-dressing pal J. Edgar Hoover would be soooooo envious).

Why is it that he, Miller, Busch, Raskin, and Rasapoopoo all resemble either Chester the Molester or the quintessential drunken old sot?

Soda

Dec 14, 2010
    Miller said the state attorney general told him the vote was sufficient to remove Jurgena from his position. Republicans said they believed the opposite and would request a written opinion from the attorney general's office.

Yeah, I can save the Republicans time and just tell them what Frosh is going to say about it...

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I agree. But since there have been NO board minutes taken and published until the current full board was seated, one overturn of an MSP LD denial would be an uptick in the trend.

I'd love to see the ladies go "full-throated Constitutional" now that they've been confirmed. Perhaps that was what they've been waiting for. Only time will tell.
    We can hope.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Recently, Richard Jurgena stopped by the Patriot Picket at the Statehouse to express his support, and to tell us not to let up.

Owing to his pending confirmation battle we kept the visit low key and quietly snapped a pic. He simply asked us to sit on the photo until his fate was known. Today, he was victimized by Sen. Ratskin's McCarthy tactics. We can share this photo now and say we are proud to stand with him wherever the fight takes us.

We congratulate you Richard Jurgena for not hiding the 2A light under your cowboy hat. You are a great American!
    Amen

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    He declares his devotion to Constitutional Rights, and a wish to serve Marylanders in what is essentially an unpaid job. And for that he is labeled an ideologue, lacking in "balance", and shown the door.

Mr. Jurgena won his vote tally 23-22 but did not reach the 24 votes needed to be confirmed. Senate President Mike Miller announced he himself is a "proud gun owner" but abstained--like the coward he is--from voting on Mr. Jurgena, thus refusing to be the 24th vote because he said "the HPRB lacked balance"

Shame on the leftist Tunnel Rats in Annapolis.

Richard Jurgena, it would be an honor to join your posse when it's time to ride.
    The 23-22 vote was clearly pre determined. Maryland politics is such BS.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    This email seemed apropo - :lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Dear Friend,

I’m writing to ask for your help to elect my close friend Jamie Raskin as our Democratic nominee to congress to replace Chris Van Hollen.

For a decade, Jamie has been the State Senator from Silver Spring and Takoma Park and he has been correctly described as “one of the nation’s most talented state legislators” (the Huffington Post), Montgomery County’s “most responsive state legislator” (Silver Spring Voice), and “smart, passionate, and progressive” (Washington Jewish Week).

Jamie and I served together in the Senate for many years, and I can tell you that he has the legislative skill, work ethic and passion to replace Chris in the 8th District. He will rapidly become a significant intellectual force in the national Democratic Party.

Jamie is a renowned professor of constitutional law at American University and I came to rely on his deep constitutional knowledge, his parliamentary skill and his ability to bring people together to make positive change. We worked closely in the Senate to pass important legislation, including one of the toughest gun safety laws in America. Together we made sure Maryland banned military-style assault weapons and instituted a fingerprint licensing program for handguns. With firearm violence out of control in America, we need Jamie in Washington to challenge the NRA’s phony constitutional claims and bring common-sense Maryland-style reforms to Congress. I also watched Jamie lead historic fights on the Senate floor to pass marriage equality, abolish the death penalty, restore voting rights for ex-felons and enact important voting and campaign finance reforms.

I hope you’ll join me in supporting Jamie’s campaign today by signing up to help spread his message of effective and proven progressive leadership. Click here to join Jamie’s grassroots campaign and make sure that every voter in the 8th District knows about his “string of legislative accomplishments”.

I believe Jamie’s extraordinary record in Annapolis and brilliant career as a law professor make him a worthy successor to Chris Van Hollen, who himself spent more than a decade in Annapolis learning the art of the legislative process before running for Congress.

We need Jamie in Congress because unlike his competition he is a leader with a proven record.

I was just out last weekend knocking on doors for Jamie. It’s a lot of fun and I hope you’ll join the effort. Click here to sign up for a volunteer shift to benefit Jamie Raskin’s surging campaign for Congress.

Best,

Brian Frosh

P.S. To learn more about Jamie, his record of effective progressive leadership, and his exciting grassroots campaign, please visit his website www.jamieraskin.com.
    Constitutional law professor. Where have I heard that bs before? :rolleyes:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Took awhile but here you go: a freeze frame from Delegate Mike Smigiel's video of his rejection by the old HPRB.

I take it this is Made Member Chairman Thomas with the fine nails and beautyful jewelry? (Cross-dressing pal J. Edgar Hoover would be soooooo envious).
    I will reserve comment for the water cooler. :rolleyes:

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    It looks like one senator was absent for the vote. If so, 23/22/1 should have resulted in Mr. Jurgena's retention - no?

I'm not familiar with the letter of the law, but I'm assuming that a majority of the Senate is required to vote for confirmation, not just a majority of those that show up to vote. Twenty three yeas is a majority of those that voted today, but it's not a majority of the entire Senate, which has 47 members.

Separately, how is the world treating you these days, sir?

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Why is it that he, Miller, Busch, Raskin, and Rasapoopoo all resemble either Chester the Molester or the quintessential drunken old sot?

Who said they can't be both??!

Roger that, good buddy X 2= da trut

This action was Ratskin desperately seeking something for his next mimeograph flyer...to take on the Popular Kids: Van Hollen, Matthews and Trone for that congressional seat.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I can still hear him asking us "who invited you all here," and telling me "its time for you to get out" at the very first meeting I attended when he wanted to deliberate behind locked MSP doors.

but but,, Raskin was lamenting at what a fine job the HPRB had always done before Rebel Force
    UFunmBy.jpg
    ended up occupying it.

AGCLVP

Jan 27, 2009
    HANDGUN PERMIT REVIEW BOARD – NOMINEES & CONFIRMATION STATUS

6. Jacques R. Cowan District 33
    Member of the Handgun Permit Review Board; appointed to serve remainder of a term of three years from March 27, 2013 and a term of three years from March 27, 2016
    nominee #6 Adopted (29-16)

7. Richard Lee Jurgena District 15
    Member of the Handgun Permit Review Board; appointed to serve remainder of a term of three years from March 27, 2014
    nominee #7
    Motion Special Order until 4/8 (Senator Rosapepe) Rejected (10-36)
    nominee #7 Rejected for want of constitutional majority (23-22)

8. Patricia S. West District 44
    Member of the Handgun Permit Review Board; appointed to serve a term of three years from March 27, 2014
    nominee #8 Adopted (33-13)

9. Courtney M. White District 41
    Member of the Handgun Permit Review Board; appointed to serve a term of three years from March 27, 2014
    nominee #9 Adopted (29-17)

10. Robert D.H. Wilson District 36
    Member of the Handgun Permit Review Board; appointed to serve a term of three years from March 27, 2015
    nominee #10 Adopted (29-17)

Senate Rules

Page 63 Section 79 Majority Vote.

Except as otherwise specifically provided by these Rules, each question shall be determined by a majority vote of the Members present

The operative term is “present” and not voting. Twenty-four (24) votes were needed and the 23-22 vote caused the nomination to be rejected.

Page 54-55 Section 61 refers to a majority of the total membership not just those present and/or voting but this only applies to bills or joint resolutions.

There are a total 47 Senators; 46 members were present. Senator Lisa Gladden is on medical leave. Senate President Mike Miller abstained from voting.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

6. Jacques R. Cowan District 33
    Member of the Handgun Permit Review Board; appointed to serve remainder of a term of three years from March 27, 2013 and a term of three years from March 27, 2016
    nominee #6 Adopted (29-16)

7. Richard Lee Jurgena District 15
    Member of the Handgun Permit Review Board; appointed to serve remainder of a term of three years from March 27, 2014
    nominee #7
    Motion Special Order until 4/8 (Senator Rosapepe) Rejected (10-36)
    nominee #7 Rejected for want of constitutional majority (23-22)

8. Patricia S. West District 44
    nominee #8 Adopted (33-13)

9. Courtney M. White District 41
    nominee #9 Adopted (29-17)

10. Robert D.H. Wilson District 36
    Member of the Handgun Permit Review Board; appointed to serve a term of three years from March 27, 2015
    nominee #10 Adopted (29-17)

Senate Rules

Page 63 Section 79 Majority Vote.

Except as otherwise specifically provided by these Rules, each question shall be determined by a majority vote of the Members present

The operative term is “present” and not voting. Twenty-four (24) votes were needed and the 23-22 vote caused the nomination to be rejected.

Page 54-55 Section 61 refers to a majority of the total membership not just those present and/or voting but this only applies to bills or joint resolutions.

There are a total 47 Senators; 46 members were present. Senator Lisa Gladden is on medical leave. Senate President Mike Miller abstained from voting.

And there is the weasel. His lack of a vote is the equivalent to a "nay" vote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom