• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I love it when people talk about gun control, and then about repealing the death penalty, back to back.

"We are devoted to creating better working conditions, benefits, and greater job security for criminals throughout the state of Maryland."

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I did think it was interesting that the lady speaking in favor of repealing the death penalty said
    "People have their first gut reaction to the death penalty, and then they learn more and they often change their minds,"

We could kinda say the same thing about "assault weapons" and those ginormous clips.

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    Population of Maryland in 2011 was 5.8 million, so lets find 800 people and make it a poll and call it the hole states view..... Did that reporter from "the wire" write this article?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I love it when people talk about gun control, and then about repealing the death penalty, back to back.

"We are devoted to creating better working conditions, benefits, and greater job security for criminals throughout the state of Maryland."

And healthcare, a cleaner environment, better roads and bridges, free tuition for your children if you are an illegal, and conjugal visits from your same sex partner ... all for death row inmates.

Just don't ask for a firearm ...

What a Country State !!! :sarcasm:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Smokey hit that like the fist of god in the comments section
    On Dec 17th, the baltimore sun ran the poll question, "Should Congress ban assault weapons and large ammunition magazines?". It closed sometime between 11:13pm and 11:32pm on december 18th 2012. At 11:13 pm on december 18th, the poll had 8059 responses. 68%(5483) responded, "NO". Only 31%(2510) responded, "YES". Where is your news story showing that more than twice as many people voted that they are NOT in favor of an assault weapons ban and magazine capacity restrictions that people that are in favor of them? It was your own poll and much more valid, with 8,000 responses, instead of only 800 like in this poll?

It's a good thing we live in a constitutional republic where our constitution restricts our government from infringing on our right to keep and bear arms. If we lived in a democracy, where the whim of a mob could strip liberties, your poll cited in this article may pose a threat to my ability to defend myself. Since, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed", is VERY clear I don't need to worry about any unconstitutional infringement coming from annapolis this legislative session.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=97698

Capture.JPG

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    In a proper random sample, 800 people is MORE than enough to have a statistically valid conclusion. So, let's lay off the "OMG not enough people polled" whining, because it's flat-out wrong as a criticism of the poll. If it wasn't random, that's a much different issue... but I suspect it was.

Citing an internet poll as "contradictory evidence" is laughable. They're not scientific in any way, shape, or form. Hell, we've all seen how we jump on those... the people answering them are NOT representative of the population as a whole.

I was honestly surprised it was only 60% in favor of an AWB, truth be told. That's close enough that a motivated minority actually could derail it. The mag limit, ugh, that's not looking good.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    In a proper random sample, 800 people is MORE than enough to have a statistically valid conclusion. So, let's lay off the "OMG not enough people polled" whining, because it's flat-out wrong as a criticism of the poll. If it wasn't random, that's a much different issue... but I suspect it was.

Citing an internet poll as "contradictory evidence" is laughable. They're not scientific in any way, shape, or form. Hell, we've all seen how we jump on those... the people answering them are NOT representative of the population as a whole.

I was honestly surprised it was only 60% in favor of an AWB, truth be told. That's close enough that a motivated minority actually could derail it. The mag limit, ugh, that's not looking good.

How do you know 800 is enough to form a statistically relevant percent? I have no idea, but after reading this, I suspect that it may not be enough. :D

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    They could have called 800 hunters and gotten the same results. I almost went into debate mode yesterday with one. He is sorta ok with AR's ect, but "why do you need more than a 10 round magazine?" and " they are for hunting people". I said " 2A isn't about hunting" and he shut up. I hope he thinks about that. MDBGOS...

I had this same discussion with 4 hunters last night. This is what scares me. When I asked the difference between an AR (I described as a semi-auto rifle) & their hunting firearm, they realized there wasn't one. Most "AR's", are 5.56 (.223) much less powerful than their .308, .270 WSM, 7Mag, or .300 Win Mag's that they use.

When discussing no gun zones, I ask "Did the bully in their school pick on the linebacker or the nerd?" The easiest target.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    I dont get it. I see so much poll info, but not once in my life was I asked to provide answers to a poll like these. I heard that statistics show that 87% of all statistics are made up anyhow...

4 out of 5 dentists (it just so happens that 4 of the 5 work for this company).

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If you sequenced and phrased the questions right, you could find "strong support" for slavery.

One of my favorite arguments aggainst "the majority supports X", figured what the hell, been awhile since I got kicked off a website, posted a comment.

there was a time when the majority of Marylanders supported slavery too, what is popular is not neccesarily what is right. It doesn't matter how unpopular our right to keep and bear the means to effective defense is, it is not theirs to take or ours to give. Luckily the Sun's flagrant bias, and skewed polls are irrelevant in policymaking as long as there are enough people willing to stand up and protect their heritage of freedom. Unpopular rights are especially important to preserve, the freedom to say what you want, even if it might make others angry, the freedom to worship if/who we want reguardless of what the majority thinks, and the right to keep and bear arms in spite of those who do not belive the public should be empowered to defend themselves.

Smokey hit it too looks like, he saved the results of their last online poll and it's 8000+ responses LOL

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    One of my favorite arguments aggainst "the majority supports X", figured what the hell, been awhile since I got kicked off a website, posted a comment.

Smokey hit it too looks like, he saved the results of their last online poll and it's 8000+ responses LOL

You two just destroyed the whole article. :thumbsup:

I fully expect you both to be called at least a dozen different names by angry libs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom