• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    EdLEARy, Im enjoying ure comments. Very funny. IsabellaF is a special breed of special.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    EdLEARy, Im enjoying ure comments. Very funny. IsabellaF is a special breed of special.

I'm trying to read these people's comments... but I just can't. I can't take it. I can't deal with all that stupid at once. I feel like I'm losing brain cells just reading it.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'm trying to read these people's comments... but I just can't. I can't take it. I can't deal with all that stupid at once. I feel like I'm losing brain cells just reading it.

just skip around and read my responses to them. I'm enjoying myself.

WTHunter

Nov 15, 2012
    Parkville, MD
    You guys are wannabes. You watch Dirty Harry and think you can defend themselves with a gun. You are the impotent NRA white boys because you live in a fantasy world of Gawd wants me to have a gun, I've gotta defend myself from the big bad government. You pretend to know the Constitution, they don't and I laugh when you misquote Thom. Jefferson. You gotta love the moron who posted a video that he was going to start killing people if gun laws changed, a real revolutionary. You read these blogs and its like the question and answer session for the Village Idiot contest. 800 is a big enough sample from the genius statisticians, pathetic.

Quite frankly, my wife watches Lara Croft... and she CAN defend herself with her .45acp!:party29:

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Quite frankly, my wife watches Lara Croft... and she CAN defend herself with her .45acp!:party29:

I say if you think I'm some Dirty Harry wanna be that can't actually defend myself with a gun, then you're welcome to prove your point by trying to attack me. I guess you could say it would....

Make my day... :smoke:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    haha I liked this exchange...
    smokey0118 at 9:24 AM January 14, 2013
    You've said you can't think of a purpose for AR's and other semiautomatic rifles except to murder large groups of people. Millions of 5.56 and .223 rounds are sold every year....where are they going? How is this ammunition being used if there's no purpose other than murder? Shouldn't there be thousands of murders in md by rifle instead of....2? Just because your mind has trouble coming up with another use for a semiautomatic rifle other than killing innocent people doesn't mean the inanimate object is evil, it means you need to look inside and control those violent urges.

An ar is a tool. You argued that a handgun is more effective for home defense. You're arguing that a handheld hammer and a bucket of nails is a more effective tool than a nail-gun. It's just not true. Again, if rifles weren't wonderful in a CQB scenario(such as home defense), why would professional entry teams use them like they do?

gsnorris at 11:04 AM January 14, 2013

Actually, I saw numerous gun advocates argue that certain handguns are much better for home defense than a semi-automatic. This was right after Newtown. The first link that came up for me agrees:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/guns_home_defense.htm

<<For defensive use inside the home, particularly in populated areas, there are better choices than a rifle.>>

<<A high quality autoloader, owned and maintained by an experienced shooter, is a very good home defense weapon.>>

<<My top choice for a home defense gun is a revolver.>>

Needing a semi-automatic for home defense is thus not a compelling reason to avoid banning them. There are other, better weapons available that are less dangerous in the wrong hands

smokey0118 at 1:15 PM January 14, 2013

And I would come back to say chuckhawks is wrong. They also have an article saying the tikka t3 is a crappy plastic rifle and the embodiment of corner-cutting. They're just flat out wrong on some things.

http://how-i-did-it.org/drywall/results.html

The above link is a drywall penetration test comparing buckshot, handgun rounds, and .223. Look for yourself at the results. The light/fast .223 rounds in a ballistic tip break apart when they hit hard things(like walls) and overpenetrate LESS than the heavy/slow handgun projectiles. What's great is that while they overpenetrate through walls less, they are still much more effective at stopping a threat because they cause trauma from a big enough temporary cavity to rip tissue, especially with fragments from the bullets in there.

Being shoulder-fired, the AR is easier to rapidly make precise hits under stress than a handgun. So you get less overpenetration, more stopping power, greater likelihood of a hit(less of a liability), and 29 more shots in a standard magazine should you need them. It is better in every way for defense than a revolver, chuckhawks is just wrong.

gsnorris at 1:38 PM January 14, 2013

smokey, I could post dozens of other opinions by gun advocates that agree with him and not you. But that's not my point.

My point is, there are perfectly fine options out there that don't present such a danger to society when they fall into the wrong hands - which some inevitably do.

smokey0118 at 7:19 PM January 14, 2013

Your logic seems to be flawed. If we ignore the low rate of use of rifles in homicide completely when compared to handguns, and just focus on their operation and properties....what makes a gun not "present such a danger to society when they fall into the wrong hands". How is any answer to this question consistent with your assertion that carbines are not the most effective defensive tool?

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    You've said you can't think of a purpose for AR's and other semiautomatic rifles except to murder large groups of people. Millions of 5.56 and .223 rounds are sold every year....where are they going? How is this ammunition being used if there's no purpose other than murder? Shouldn't there be thousands of murders in md by rifle instead of....2?

That's a wonderful point that I never would've thought to make. Going to have to remember that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom