Is the HQL still required to purchase handguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    No, you did well by getting the training you can never know too much. Before an HQL or W&C course, I ask students if they are prior law enforcement or military; I tell them that they can stay; however, they are exempt, and if they don't want to take the course, I will refund their money.
    Hey at least you offered and honestly it never hurts to pick some tips up you may have some info they never learned. My CCW class is tomorrow, I've shotguns for as long as I can remember and I am still going in to see if I can learn something new because I need the class no matter if I have 0 hours or 1000 hours of experiance with a handgun because Maryland wants hard proof.

Magerko

Nov 24, 2022
    Baltimore County
    No, you did well by getting the training you can never know too much. Before an HQL or W&C course, I ask students if they are prior law enforcement or military; I tell them that they can stay; however, they are exempt, and if they don't want to take the course, I will refund their money.
    My son's retired law enforcement, I was military, so I guess we both would have gotten the exemption, lol.

That's very cool of you to do for your students, shows that you're not out to squeeze every last dollar from people. IMHO, things like Honor, Integrity, and Loyalty are MUCH more valuable than making a few bucks. Can't even put a price on those traits, which sadly seem to be declining rapidly, but when I was growing up, those traits were the norm.

My instructor didn't offer to refund me, but personally, it really didn't matter, as I have no problem paying my way like everyone else. After all, you guys need to make a living and I wouldn't have taken him up on it anyway. I got up early that Saturday & Sunday, showered, ate breakfast, drank my typical pot of coffee, and was at the training center before the 9am start of the class. I even packed a lunch to eat, so no way I wasn't staying, lol.

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    It was when I went to get my prints for my CCW that I had to get 2 sets of prints. I asked the fingerprint lady why do I need 2 sets? They're digital, why can't they just make a digital copy off the first set? Why do I have to pay for 2 separate sets?

She explained that there needed to be 2 separate sets, probably due to the different code numbers that you mentioned. She also took my photo and adjusted the pic to the proper size for the CCW while I was there, didn't charge me for that since she used my cell phone, lol.

To add to the fingerprint chaos, when I finished CCW training, my instructor gave me a certificate for MD & FL. He had the fingerprint lady come in to take prints right after the end of the class. But of course, I couldn't take advantage of that because FL wants ink prints on their card, taken by either a law enforcement agency, or certified fingerprint person who is able to use a Law Enforcement stamp to certify the prints. I could have had everything wrapped up right there and had my FL permit a year ago.

But my fault, due to my work schedule, life, and general procrastination, I haven't made the trip down to the UMBC police office to get the prints, just a PIA. But I want that permit so I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and take the time to go down there. I need FL to be able to carry in DE, which the wife & I love going to.

Freestate gun range there near White Marsh does prints for FL permit. I think it's $25.. They stamp Baltimore City Po Po on it. I got my prints in Bel AIr @ Absolute. They stamp Bel Air Po Po on the card.

GenoBluzGtr

Mar 23, 2018
    I just made my FL CCW Fingerprint appointment at the Charles County Sheriff Fingerprint office in Waldorf Mall. They stamp with the CCSO stamp. $21. They had appointments next day, but I have to wait for FL to mail me their print cards. The fingerprint office said they can "mark them up to comply with FL rules", but I didn't want to risk the delay in sending those in with a chance of rejection, then needing to go back again, so I'm just waiting for the FL cards.

Oh, and FL also accepts a DD214 copy (uploaded in the online app) in lieu of the training, so, as a vet, I have not needed to pay for any training thus far for MD, PA, FL.

Last edited:

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD
    It did, but it will probably come back.

He shouldn't have to take any additional training since the Hunter Safety suficed.

Under State Statute, any hunter safety training was acceptable, wether or not it has a live fire component or not.

Then the law worked exactly as they designed it.
    Absolutely. It was designed as a hurdle to deter people from buying handguns. By the looks of many of these comments, it worked.

Magerko

Nov 24, 2022
    Baltimore County
    Freestate gun range there near White Marsh does prints for FL permit. I think it's $25.. They stamp Baltimore City Po Po on it. I got my prints in Bel AIr @ Absolute. They stamp Bel Air Po Po on the card.
    Thanks brother. I used to shoot at Freestate, but I don't like waiting an hour or two to get a lane so I've been going to Bel Air Gun Range for the last year and hardly ever have to wait.

I'll check out Freestate and Absolute in Bel Air for the prints, both are fairly close by.

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    I just made my FL CCW Fingerprint appointment at the Charles County Sheriff Fingerprint office in Waldorf Mall. They stamp with the CCSO stamp. $21. They had appointments next day, but I have to wait for FL to mail me their print cards. The fingerprint office said they can "mark them up to comply with FL rules", but I didn't want to risk the delay in sending those in with a chance of rejection, then needing to go back again, so I'm just waiting for the FL cards.

Oh, and FL also accepts a DD214 copy (uploaded in the online app) in lieu of the training, so, as a vet, I have not needed to pay for any training thus far for MD, PA, FL.

I used a Standard FBI card that was provided by Absolute and all went well with FL CCW.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    So where are we with this? I don't have the "The Sovereign Grants You Permission To Buy" card and I'd like to buy a handgun. It's funny, I used to have the right but the Democrats of Maryland took it away. They hate the law-abiding and love the criminals.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    So where are we with this? I don't have the "The Sovereign Grants You Permission To Buy" card and I'd like to buy a handgun. It's funny, I used to have the right but the Democrats of Maryland took it away. They hate the law-abiding and love the criminals.
    I think today's the due date before we can just go to a shop next Wednesday and put a handgun on hold for 7 days.

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    You are so close to the deadline that I would wait a few days, but there is always the chance that MD will elect to appeal the decision (En Blanc?) if they thought they would get a different opinion. I doubt that they would want to appeal to the Supreme Court

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    As mentioned MD AG Lackey Brown filed a petition Tuesday asking the full 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to hear the case, which would mean 15 judges instead of three (EN BANC).

So what’s the likelihood that will happen?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Just got a call from the MSP and said i need an HQL and pay up, mine expires 02-04-2024 What to do ????
    Mine expired in Oct. I had to pay up to renew. If you plan an getting anything new, then you will have to pay the man.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Just got a call from the MSP and said i need an HQL and pay up, mine expires 02-04-2024 What to do ????
    Interested to find out, Mine is June 2026

Also, for the OP.

Oh, how I long for the good ole' days, lol.

About 17 years or so ago, my son graduated from college and was entering the police academy. I decided to buy him a Glock .40 as a gift. I went into a local gun shop, found a preowned Glock I liked (the slide was engraved with "Property of San Antonio Police Dept"), asked the price, paid the guy, the guy handed me the gun and I was out the door in probably about 45 minutes or less.

No background checks, no fingerprints, no answering a never-ending list of questions. I just picked the gun I wanted, paid for the gun, and that was that, just like going to the grocery store.

Magerko, 4 pages and I have not seen one mention from anyone about "straw purchase"

In my "the OLD days," which means as I grew up from January 1964 till around the early 1980's, I had and owned 0 guns.
    I would not have thought twice about it possibly being illegal for my dad or stepdad or even stepdad's uncles to buy a hunting or even pistol to give to me as a gift. However, as we know, to do so now in the 2000's is viewed as quite illegal and labeled as a straw purchase. Does anyone know WHEN the law was enacted and enforced such that 77r's etc had language addressing the intent of the purchaser and was to be answered yes or no, if the purchase was intended solely for the applicant and no one else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom