Is the HQL still required to purchase handguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Interested to find out, Mine is June 2026

Also, for the OP.

Magerko, 4 pages and I have not seen one mention from anyone about "straw purchase"

In my "the OLD days," which means as I grew up from January 1964 till around the early 1980's, I had and owned 0 guns.
    I would not have thought twice about it possibly being illegal for my dad or stepdad or even stepdad's uncles to buy a hunting or even pistol to give to me as a gift. However, as we know, to do so now in the 2000's is viewed as quite illegal and labeled as a straw purchase. Does anyone know WHEN the law was enacted and enforced such that 77r's etc had language addressing the intent of the purchaser and was to be answered yes or no, if the purchase was intended solely for the applicant and no one else?
    No it's not illegal to buy a handgun as a gift for your son. Not a straw purchase unless he's prohibited.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    No it's not illegal to buy a handgun as a gift for your son. Not a straw purchase unless he's prohibited.
    Thanks for clarifying.
    Yet another way the MSP, MGA, Feds make it confusing to know every detail of the ever changing laws.

I wasn't sure, especially when they were trying to make it a crime to "transfer" your shotgun, 30-30 etc to your son, buddy etc to go hunting unless you went to an FFL to go through paperwork etc.

Same with , Or to let your wife use your .380 to practice with at the range, kill a perp in the house etc.

I just thought and apparently mistakenly so, that on the 77R and other forms, that question about is the purchaser buying the gun for themselves, as in if you say NO, it gets the flag as a straw purchase and is disallowed.

************** Disclaimer, NO one take my details on law as accurate, as can be seen in my statements above***********
    I get the gist of things, and when in doubt, I answer 100% in the person of ME, Myself and I. In other words, my answer is I ALWAYS am buying a gun for myself. Which of course is true 100% of the time. No other person's possession or transfer future use without a proper FFL transfer, is my intention for any purchase I make.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

rseymorejr, and anyone else.

In regards to "buying a gun for someone else"

If I were to see a long or hand gun in a store and wanted to buy it for someone else, wife, nephew, sis, friend, etc.

How would I legally do so as far as the paperwork goes? It has been said above, that it is not a straw purchase as long as the owner to be is not prohibited. Well, how does MSP etc verify this? Would I need to bring the recipient in and he, she, them need to show proof of HQL, pass the 77R and 4473 etc?

Fill in the missing pieces for me on how I could legally buy a weapon for someone else if I wanted to do so.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Maybe I misspoke. I believe that if I buy a handgun there is no law preventing me from giving it to my son, technically he would have to register the transaction and not pay $10. Or I could loan it to him for an indefinite time period. The older I get the less I seem to care about certain details. All this hinges on him not being prohibited

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Just got a call from the MSP and said i need an HQL and pay up, mine expires 02-04-2024 What to do ????
    If you are not planning on purchasing a handgun between 02-04-2014 and 02-10-2024 let it expire and apply for a new one with your W&C permit exemption on 02-05-2024. You should be good to go with your 'new' HQL before 02-10-2024

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    Maybe I misspoke. I believe that if I buy a handgun there is no law preventing me from giving it to my son, technically he would have to register the transaction and not pay $10. Or I could loan it to him for an indefinite time period. The older I get the less I seem to care about certain details. All this hinges on him not being prohibited
    Gifting is fine with immediate family; however, I usually suggest customers do a transfer with most firearms.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Just got a call from the MSP and said i need an HQL and pay up, mine expires 02-04-2024 What to do ????
    Go online, pay $20 and renew it.

msp hql

Who Should Apply?​

A person may not purchase, rent, or receive a handgun after October 1, 2013 unless they possess a valid Handgun Qualification License (HQL) issued by the Maryland State Police or qualify for exemption status.

Exceptions to possession of the HQL License​

1. A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
    2. Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States (Federal Law Enforcement), the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
    3. Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
    4. A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.
    5. Maryland licensed firearms dealers. (Sole Proprietors)

Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component​

1. Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
    2. Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
    3. Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
    4. Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
    5. Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
    6. Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.
    In accordance with the Firearm Safety Act of 2013, individuals who are voluntarily admitted to an inpatient psychiatric facility (either state, private or acute general), for a period of 30 consecutive days or more, or involuntarily certified and retained by an Administrative Law Judge may have to surrender their firearms and will be prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm unless an individual is granted relief from firearm disqualification. MDH makes available to persons who are prohibited from possessing certain firearms a process to apply for relief from these prohibitions.

-----------------

When Should I Renew?​

The initial Handgun Qualification License expires ten (10) years from the date of issuance.

A Handgun Qualification License may be renewed for successive periods of ten (10) years each if, at the time of an application for renewal, the applicant possesses the qualifications for the issuance of a license and submits a $20.00 nonrefundable application renewal fee. The Handgun Qualification License Renewal application should be submitted at least fourteen (14) days prior to the expiration of the current Handgun Qualification License.

Handgun Qualification License renewal applicants are NOT required to submit fingerprints or complete a firearms safety training course as part of the application for the renewal of an active Handgun Qualification License.

The EGOV System will email renewal reminders to Handgun Qualification License holders who hold an active license that will be expiring.
    It is the license holder’s responsibility to notify the Licensing Division of any email or address changes, in writing, within 30 days of any change. You may also log into your account and update your email or physical address under the demographics page.

THE HQL RENEWAL APPLICATION IS NOW ACTIVE.

Please refer to the below Instructions on how to submit a HQL renewal application:
    • Login to your eMDSP account.
    • Enter your User ID and Password. (If you have forgot your User ID and or Password, please click on Forgotten Password)
    • Click on Renew License.
    • Verify License and Click Continue (in yellow).
    • On the left side under Menu Click on Demographics. Please update the Demographics page (ex: address, phone #s and Driver's License information). Once updated click on Update at the bottom of the page.
    • Application Questions: Please answer the following questions by choosing the respective answer(s) from the drop-down menu(s) provided. Once all questions are answered, please Click on Submit at the bottom of the page.
    • Document Upload page- If you have any documents that you need to upload, please attach them to this page (ex. Expungement documents) if not, please Click on Next at the bottom of the page.
    • Please review your application and if everything is correct, Click on Pay Fees at the bottom of the page.
    • Checkout page- Click Transfer (this will take you to the Payment Processor).
    • Please enter your credit card information and Click Pay.
    • Receipt page will appear, confirming that the renewal application has been submitted.
    IMPORTANT REMINDER REGARDING HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE (HQL) RENEWALS: HQL renewal applications must be submitted prior to the expiration date of the current HQL. HQL renewal applications submitted after the expiration date will result in the rejection of the HQL renewal application and require a new HQL application be submitted with a new training certificate and proof of Livescan fingerprint submission.
    How Much Does It Cost?

Acceptable methods of payment include Visa or MasterCard

Original/Initial – $50.00 - Fingerprint Fees not included
    Renewal – $20.00 - Fingerprint not required

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore

Or ignore that, and limit yourself to buying more rifles and shotguns.

1706575960260.jpeg

1706575874571.gif

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fill in the missing pieces for me on how I could legally buy a weapon for someone else if I wanted to do so.

It comes down to intent and sequences.

At the extremes :

You see really cool gun , and think it would be great B Day gift for so & so . You buy it , wrap it up with a bow , and they are surprised by the fine gift . ( If in Maryland, subsequently comply with relevant transfer processes )
    Definitely a Gift .

So & So says to the effect of " Hey , when you go into town tomorrow, pick me up an Ultra Blaster Mark X , and here's the money " . Definite Straw .

Legitimate Gift , you purchase and become the owner of it , and then give it as a gift on your own initiative, solely for your own internal satisfaction of giving a gift .

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    It comes down to intent and sequences.

At the extremes :

You see really cool gun , and think it would be great B Day gift for so & so . You buy it , wrap it up with a bow , and they are surprised by the fine gift . ( If in Maryland, subsequently comply with relevant transfer processes )
    Definitely a Gift .

So & So says to the effect of " Hey , when you go into town tomorrow, pick me up an Ultra Blaster Mark X , and here's the money " . Definite Straw .

Legitimate Gift , you purchase and become the owner of it , and then give it as a gift on your own initiative, solely for your own internal satisfaction of giving a gift .
    Sounds like most really " Free States" would allow.

Magerko

Nov 24, 2022
    Baltimore County
    Magerko, 4 pages and I have not seen one mention from anyone about "straw purchase"

In my "the OLD days," which means as I grew up from January 1964 till around the early 1980's, I had and owned 0 guns.
    I would not have thought twice about it possibly being illegal for my dad or stepdad or even stepdad's uncles to buy a hunting or even pistol to give to me as a gift. However, as we know, to do so now in the 2000's is viewed as quite illegal and labeled as a straw purchase. Does anyone know WHEN the law was enacted and enforced such that 77r's etc had language addressing the intent of the purchaser and was to be answered yes or no, if the purchase was intended solely for the applicant and no one else?
    I don't know when the law was enacted, but I don't recall having to complete any forms back when I purchased the Glock for my son. I don't think it was an issue back then, because I didn't have to do fingerprints, wait 7 days to come back to pickup, or anything like that. These days, everything's different, but back then, guns didn't seem to be a big political issue, at least not that I remember.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I don't know when the law was enacted, but I don't recall having to complete any forms back when I purchased the Glock for my son. I don't think it was an issue back then, because I didn't have to do fingerprints, wait 7 days to come back to pickup, or anything like that. These days, everything's different, but back then, guns didn't seem to be a big political issue, at least not that I remember.
    Yup.

Apparently it is ok to buy a gun as a gift for someone like a relative as has been said above.

I have always had to fill out some forms up to an including one that was a statement about being shown the safety video.
    Only here since Oct 2013 have we had to do HQL's and go through all the hoops associated with that.

Let's hope we can retake America and get Constitutional carry and dispense of all the hamstringing of the libs.

Beebs

MDS Supporter
    Jan 12, 2024
    Southern MD
    I’m confused about the whole HQL Situation since the Court of Appeals has ruled the HQL is unconstitutional under the second amendment. Does that mean you don’t need to have an HQL to purchase a handgun in the state of Maryland. Since I don’t have my HQL yet?
    I wish the site for checking on gun laws wasn't so hard to navigate.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I wish the site for checking on gun laws wasn't so hard to navigate.
    I'm not aware of any one site that has all of the Maryland State firearms laws. What are you talking about?

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Oral argument before the entire Fourth Circuit is currently scheduled for March 21, 2024 in Richmond.
    Aw crap! Mine expires 4/24 and I already got my pocket picked for another 20 bucks for 10 years. Perhaps it’ll be a collectors item by the time they send the letter out!

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    So, don't have an HQL and don't want one. I have a spotless record and I'm not prohibited Can I buy, in Maryland, a handgun that is 50+ years old?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom