Is the HQL still required to purchase handguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tony126

Sep 2, 2023
    Frederick
    I’m confused about the whole HQL Situation since the Court of Appeals has ruled the HQL is unconstitutional under the second amendment. Does that mean you don’t need to have an HQL to purchase a handgun in the state of Maryland. Since I don’t have my HQL yet?

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Decision goes into effect 21 days after the court’s ruling. But of course MSP decided to ignore the ruling.

IMG_2800.jpeg

Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Decision goes into effect 21 days after the court’s ruling. But of course MSP decided to ignore the ruling.

View attachment 441365
    They haven't ignored anything, if the State request an appeal the en Banc of the 4th Circuit, then all bets are off and the 21 days goes by the wayside until the appeal is acted on.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    They haven't ignored anything, if the State request an appeal the en Banc of the 4th Circuit, then all bets are off and the 21 days goes by the wayside until the appeal is acted on.
    Exactly what I was going to say after reading his post.

Imagine if MSP wrote that the HQL is only required for another 21 days UNLESS the State requests an en banc review. I guarantee that plenty of people would stop reading/comprehending from UNLESS on.

I sit here wondering how hard the State wants to push this matter. En Bank, Writ of Certiori to SCOTUS? Imagine an opinion from SCOTUS in our favor on the HQL.

I'm still waiting patiently to buy the 3 handguns I regret not buying back in 2013.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Maybe by next year I have a feeling it will go to SCOTUS unless the blue devils converse with Wes Moreless and tell him not to challenge the ruling and the if the 4th circuit does not issue a mandate.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Unfortunately, in my opinion, the HQL is not going away. Regardless of this decision, 4CA will not render an en banc decision until SCOTUS flips anti-2A. It will sit on it for decades if necessary.

And yes, I do donate money to the MSI HQL collection can.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Maybe by next year I have a feeling it will go to SCOTUS unless the blue devils converse with Wes Moreless and tell him not to challenge the ruling and the if the 4th circuit does not issue a mandate.
    The 4th Circuit has already issued it's mandate, it takes affect 21 days after the ruling was published. Unless the State requests En Banc.
    There is nothing more for the 4th Circuit to do unless there is a request from the State in 14 days.

It really is that simple.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Unfortunately, in my opinion, the HQL is not going away. Regardless of this decision, 4CA will not render an en banc decision until SCOTUS flips anti-2A. It will sit on it for decades if necessary.
    I doubt the 4th Circuit will sit on a case for multiple years without gaining the attention of SCOTUS and being reminded by them of the due process clause of the Constitution (like the did to the 2nd).

And yes, I do donate money to the MSI HQL collection can.
    More people should.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    The 4th Circuit has already issued it's mandate, it takes affect 21 days after the ruling was published. Unless the State requests En Banc.
    There is nothing more for the 4th Circuit to do unless there is a request from the State in 14 days.

It really is that simple.
    Thread over.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Could be anywhere between 2 weeks and next year
    Depending on what that prick in Annapolis decides to do
    We'll know in 12 days, what to expect, and you can expect the State to take the whole 14 days to make their decision and submit an En Banc request.
    I'll be happy when the morning of Dec 6 comes and there hasn't been a request or appeal submitted. Until then, it's still 50/50.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    I teach HQL classes, and because my costs are below average rates, I allow the student to do the application on their own. Recently, I had a student who had a few questions about the process, and it got me thinking about what someone has to go through to obtain an HQL. The training is essential. Otherwise, I wouldn't be doing it; however, the application fee, waiting period for approval, and the process as a whole seems unfair to the Maryland taxpayer.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I teach HQL classes, and because my costs are below average rates, I allow the student to do the application on their own. Recently, I had a student who had a few questions about the process, and it got me thinking about what someone has to go through to obtain an HQL. The training is essential. Otherwise, I wouldn't be doing it; however, the application fee, waiting period for approval, and the process as a whole seems unfair to the Maryland taxpayer.

Hunter Safety training in Maryland is free.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Any and all training is great. State mandated training is complete ********

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If you think State Mandated training is requirement to own a firearm, you are a part of the problem.

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD
    Hunter Safety training in Maryland is free.
    That is correct and that was my " get out of training free card" for my HQL when they first came out. Actually a hunters safety course or equivalent from any state can be used to exempt you from the HQL training requirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom