• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Studies show that relationships without kids last longer than relationships with kids. At least that is the most recent study I read. Thing is, why even get married if you aren't going to have kids. Sometimes, I wonder why people even get married at all, even when they want to have kids. Maybe for health insurance, like they are doing out in Washington State right now because of ObamaCare. Not even trying to get started on the entire marriage penalty income tax BS.

I read the same study. Marriages without kids were also happier.

I have been married for 19 years in April and wouldn't trade my wife for anything.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I read the same study. Marriages without kids were also happier.

I have been married for 19 years in April and wouldn't trade my wife for anything.

You've got me by about 10 years and 3 months, but I feel the same way. With that said, we have both made each other swear to one another that if the option is to save a child or one of us, the child gets saved. We have wonderful conversations don't we.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    I ought to let my wife read that study. Ever since we got married, she's talked and talked about kids. Kids, kids, kids. Children were not a prerequisite, but the prospect has always been very important to her. I'm a very independent person, never really cared much for children of my own — hell never thought I'd get married. I often wonder how our marriage will stand the test of raising children, it concerns me somewhat... If it were solely up to me, I'd rather not have children, yet I don't want to deny my wife of that. Strangely, I would probably lament if we were to never be able to have children of our own...

Edit: for clarity

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I ought to let my wife read that study. Ever since we got married, she's talked and talked about kids. Kids, kids, kids. Children were not a prerequisite, but the prospect has always been very important to her. I'm a very independent person, never really cared much for children of my own — hell never thought I'd get married. I often wonder how our marriage will stand the test of raising children, it concerns me somewhat... If it were solely up to me, I'd rather not have children, yet I don't want to deny my wife of that. Strangely, I would probably lament we would never be able to have children of our own...

Oh heck, that subject should have been discussed and ironed out well in advance of marriage. I know my wife and I discussed it at length and we both wanted kids. We both thought we wanted 4, but have decided 3 is plenty enough at this point.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    Oh heck, that subject should have been discussed and ironed out well in advance of marriage. I know my wife and I discussed it at length and we both wanted kids. We both thought we wanted 4, but have decided 3 is plenty enough at this point.

It was discussed, my wife knew who she was marrying.

PMD354

I will have been married to my wife for 39 years next St. Patrick's day, I figured that I would be a pretty damn dumb Irishman to forget my anniversary on St. Patrick's day. For the first 35 years she would let me have all of the long guns that I wanted but no pistols. She had a bad experience when she was babysitting her younger brother. He found thier fathers loaded 38, took it to the back yard and wound up clipping the neighbors young daughter's ear. One day I told her that I was going to the range and to my suprise she asked if she could come along. I said sure, I had asked her many many times before but always got "No you go I don't want to". I packed up a couple 22 semi-auto's, a M1 carbine and an AK-47. I let fire the 22's first then the M1 and finally the AK. As she was shooting I noticed that every time she pulled the trigger the grin on her face got bigger and bigger. About half way through the second 30 round AK mag she turned to me and said that she was mad at me. I asked why. She told me that she was mad at me because for all of those years I was having so much fun without her. I told her that when she got home I wanted her to do me a favor. I told her when she got home to go in the bathroom and look in the mirror and cuss out the person looking back at her. She now owns 3 pistols of her own and I now have a few of my own. Now can't go to the range without her which is fine with me. As it turns out she is not a bad shot and now knows how to handle all firearms safely.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    It was discussed, my wife knew who she was marrying.

Well, was the answer "No", "We shall see", "Definitely want kids", "1", "2", etc.

If the answer was "No", not good of her to now want kids after getting married. Had that happen to a friend of mine. He didn't want a kid and she knew it getting into the marriage. After marriage, she wanted one. He obliged her. They just got divorced. He loves his son though and life goes on.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I believe you can look to my initial post for your answer.

Children were not a prerequisite, but the prospect has always been very important to her.

Seems like there was no definitive answer. It wasn't a prerequisite, but you knew the subject was important to her. Any possibility she figured kids weren't off the table, since no kids wasn't a prerequisite?

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    lol - I never had any gun cuffs on me. If anything, cuffs would have come after marriage, but they haven't. Guess it is all related to the amount of money on hand.

Wait until you have kids, vacations, etc. Then things get fun in more ways than one. Almost 9 years after marriage, I say I have the greatest woman and family in the world.

Hey Fabsroman...
    Nice looking family ....yeah, even you! LOL!...and great place to take your family

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    Seems like there was no definitive answer. It wasn't a prerequisite, but you knew the subject was important to her. Any possibility she figured kids weren't off the table, since no kids wasn't a prerequisite?

Children aren't off of the table, they never were. All that I wrote about is that if it were up to me, I'd rather not, but that doesn't mean that I, or rather –we won't. She knows how I feel, but also that I'm humble enough and may change my mind further down the road. She would've married me regardless. And yes, this is a fact.

I'll state it again, I'm a very independent, somewhat introverted person – she understands this and married me. I am incredibly lucky and fortunate to have her in my life.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Hey Fabsroman...
    Nice looking family ....yeah, even you! LOL!...and great place to take your family

Thanks. I've been to DisneyWorld 4 times with my wife. Twice with the kids. The last time we went with the kids was 4 years ago. My daughter was 2 3/4 and my son 3/4 years old. I had a good time then. This time around, I had a great time. One of the best vacations ever that I have had at my in-laws in Florida. Heck, it might be one of the best vacations ever, period. Got to ride my bike a couple days, shoot clays, go to Disney World, see the kids open presents on Xmas. Oh yeah, bought a bunch of mags too. It really was hard to leave my in-laws place this time.

I think seeing the kids enjoy Disney so much made it all that much more special for me. Even while wearing my new Cabelas sweatshirt, my son was cold in the morning. Went to the character breakfast and then he wanted to go home when we got back outside. The sun came out though, it warmed up, and around 11:00 he was running from one line to another. At 9:00 at night he still did not want to leave and I was exhausted. Yep, it was a great vacation.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    lol - I never had any gun cuffs on me. If anything, cuffs would have come after marriage, but they haven't. Guess it is all related to the amount of money on hand.

Wait until you have kids, vacations, etc. Then things get fun in more ways than one. Almost 9 years after marriage, I say I have the greatest woman and family in the world.

There are not nor have there ever been any budgetary concerns in my household when it comes to firearms purchases. My "cuffs" were because my wife used to be scared of guns. Now that she is a shooter there is no reason to hold back on purchases.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I ought to let my wife read that study. Ever since we got married, she's talked and talked about kids. Kids, kids, kids. Children were not a prerequisite, but the prospect has always been very important to her. I'm a very independent person, never really cared much for children of my own — hell never thought I'd get married. I often wonder how our marriage will stand the test of raising children, it concerns me somewhat... If it were solely up to me, I'd rather not have children, yet I don't want to deny my wife of that. Strangely, I would probably lament if we were to never be able to have children of our own...

I wouldn't trade my kids for anything, either. Would my life be less complicated without kids? Absolutely. It is amazing to watch them grow, mature and learn. My kids are bright and very funny. Sure, they get annoying at times...like bed time. No doubt I'll want to bury them out back when they are teens. It has been a great journey so far, and I am very interested to see where the journey takes them. If I did not have a wife and kids, I would be a very different person today. I don't think it would be for the better, either.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I wouldn't trade my kids for anything, either. Would my life be less complicated without kids? Absolutely. It is amazing to watch them grow, mature and learn. My kids are bright and very funny. Sure, they get annoying at times...like bed time. No doubt I'll want to bury them out back when they are teens. It has been a great journey so far, and I am very interested to see where the journey takes them. If I did not have a wife and kids, I would be a very different person today. I don't think it would be for the better, either.
    :thumbsup: I seem to remember reading a survey of folks in their very senior years. Two points that stood out: 1) a vast majority said that they would have had even more kids, and 2) they wouldn't have worried so much about the appearance of their house and invited more people over even though it was 'messy'. I suspect that married couples with kids are happier than those without them, in the long term.

chrisflhtc

Jan 28, 2010
    Hagerstown
    :thumbsup:
    That sounds exactly like something I said a while back to my brother.I have an 11 and 14 year old with my wife. :D
    C

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom