• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    Moving the October 20 thread back out to MD2A forum if all do not mind.
    One important reason is so GryphonII(The one and only Grython) can see the thread and comment and get his post count back up to get into the water cooler. Personally I think his participation in the thread is more important than any perceived secrecy gained from the water cooler.

I am starting this thread because my review(not hearing) is to be heard that evening supposedly. I will be back from Japan by a couple days, and likely jet-lagged but I will prop my eyelids open with toothpicks to stay awake and make it.

For those who have not attended before. (And hope to see you there).

6776 Reisterstown Road (South tower entrance) Central Hiring Unit Conference Room (first floor) Baltimore, Md., 21215

And the link with applehd's map.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3904214&postcount=50

Last edited:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    One important reason is so GryphonII(The one and only Grython) can see the thread and comment and get his post count back up to get into the water cooler. Personally I think his participation in the thread is more important than any perceived secrecy gained from the water cooler.

I am starting this thread because my review(not hearing) is to be heard that evening supposedly. I will be back from Japan by a couple days, and likely jet-lagged but I will prop my eyelids open with toothpicks to stay awake and make it.

6776 Reisterstown Road (South tower entrance) Central Hiring Unit Conference Room (first floor) Baltimore, Md., 21215

Nos morituri te salutamus

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012

Bad news:

The Handgun Permit Review Board meeting scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 6, is cancelled. The next scheduled meeting is Tuesday, Oct. 20.

Source: http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/agencies/hprb.shtml

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Bad news:

The Handgun Permit Review Board meeting scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 6, is cancelled. The next scheduled meeting is Tuesday, Oct. 20.

Source: http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/agencies/hprb.shtml

VJsw1MaU.jpeg

Just busting on you.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Here is the status of Maryland's Handgun Permit Review Board (in a nutshell). If you work with Gov. Hogan, please let him know:

Under Maryland Law, the Board is required by law review or hear appeals within 90 days.

When the Board lest met, it heard appeals from February 2015.

At least one individual has filed suit in circuit court, demanding his appeal be heard within the time required by law. The board misclassified his hearing request as a review and kept referring to it as a appeal of denial when it was an appeal of restrictions. The board also lost his paperwork at least once.

The Board enjoyed a summer recess.

The Board so far has declined to meet on the fifth Tuesday of last month or hear more than a handful of cases in order to resolve the backlog.

The Board has cancelled todays meeting, most likely because of bedbugs.

The Board has failed to disclose the extent of the current backlog, despite repeated inquiries.

Maryland's Open Meetings Compliance Board is investigating at least two complaints for failing to comply with Maryland's Open Meetings Law.

A Board seat remains unfilled.

Is this efficient government?

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Here is the status of Maryland's Handgun Permit Review Board (in a nutshell). If you work with Gov. Hogan, please let him know:

Under Maryland Law, the Board is required by law review or hear appeals within 90 days.

At least one individual has filed suit in circuit court, demanding his appeal be heard within the time required by law. The board misclassified his hearing request as a review and kept referring to it as a appeal of denial when it was an appeal of restrictions. The board also lost his paperwork at least once.

The Board so far has declined to meet on the fifth Tuesday of last month or hear more than a handful of cases in order to resolve the backlog.

The Board has failed to disclose the extent of the current backlog, despite repeated inquiries.

Maryland's Open Meetings Compliance Board is investigating at least two complaints for failing to comply with Maryland's Open Meetings Law.

since Hogan added new board members he already knows about the board. I would assume he has people to keep him informed about all the goings on in the government. I cant see how its on anyone but Hogan. but again, I work in the private sector where you have to produce all the time or your fired so my view of how this works may be off.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    When the Maryland State Police got behind in doing background checks in 2013 they brought in outside help in order to catch up to the regulatory requirement. If they cant process these applications fast enough, it appears to take the full 90 days for initial turn downs and who knows how long for an appeal, perhaps they need additional help again.

If they are this slow in all their investigations that may be one of the causes of the high crime rate.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

No, this is what passes for government in Maryland.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    When the Maryland State Police got behind in doing background checks in 2013 they brought in outside help in order to catch up to the regulatory requirement. If they cant process these applications fast enough, it appears to take the full 90 days for initial turn downs and who knows how long for an appeal, perhaps they need additional help again.

Maybe they can call Melwood. I'm sure they can run the shop better and more efficiently than the MSP.
    :innocent0

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.

If they are this slow in all their investigations that may be one of the causes of the high crime rate.

If they are going to bring in help from the Lottery department, or other persons who can not pass a background check (like they did with the 2013 backlog), looking at my private information, I will take a pass.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I think I am back, but am drinking small sips as if have been without water for more than a month. Don't want to drown trying to rehydrate. :)

Thanks Norton. Hopefully I am squared away.

Unfortunately, I will be out of town and will not be able to make the 10/20 meeting :(

Have heard nothing from the Board, but my appeal is only 60 days in. That's fine because I am still waiting for copies of the records I requested from MSP under the PIA. Hope to make the meeting on the 5th Tuesday of this month :rolleyes:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I think I am back, but am drinking small sips as if have been without water for more than a month. Don't want to drown trying to rehydrate. :)

Thanks Norton. Hopefully I am squared away.

Unfortunately, I will be out of town and will not be able to make the 10/20 meeting :(

Have heard nothing from the Board, but my appeal is only 60 days in. That's fine because I am still waiting for copies of the records I requested from MSP under the PIA. Hope to make the meeting on the 5th Tuesday of this month :rolleyes:
    Congrats on your account recovery. Glad you are back in the original form.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Oxymoron

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012

I believe the statistics demonstrate the Maryland State Police hardly ever file charges for straw purchases and almost never for committing perjury on firearm purchase applications.

Why even investigate crimes your not going to prosecute?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I believe the statistics demonstrate the Maryland State Police hardly ever file charges for straw purchases and almost never for committing perjury on firearm purchase applications.

Why even investigate crimes your not going to prosecute?

The decision to prosecute (or not) is made by the State's Attorney. The decision to investigate is made by the police agencies. If the State's Attorney never prosecutes, then there is no reason for the police to spend time and other resources to investigate. A chicken and egg problem that just spirals down. That's a matter of leadership and priorities.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The decision to prosecute (or not) is made by the State's Attorney. The decision to investigate is made by the police agencies. If the State's Attorney never prosecutes, then there is no reason for the police to spend time and other resources to investigate. A chicken and egg problem that just spirals down. That's a matter of leadership and priorities.

Since it is not their decision to prosecute they should do their job which is to investigate each and every crime and present the facts to the State's Attorney. Someday the people may wake up and start asking the hard questions but as it stands the State's Attorneys will just say we weren't presented any cases. By not investigating and presenting cases the police agencies are usurping the duties of the State's Attorneys.:tdown:

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia

The Attorney Generals Office has a dedicated 'Firearms Trafficking Unit' that handles most of these cases. There are even MSP troopers assigned to it I believe. These prosecutions are few and far between from what I've seen. Occasionally you will see something by a county State's Attorney but those are even rarer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom