• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Actually, they understood it quite well, the issue was several ways to handle it and the board decided to table the issue "pending MSP completing the investigation", instead of approving the permit. The board only has three choices and they have to have a legal reason for those reasons; Uphold the MSP decision, Overturn the MSP decision, Modify the MSP decision.

Technically they cannot "table the issue pending an action."

yeah, that's what I meant by they ignored it. The chairman reiterated at least 3 times to white AND jurgena that the motions they were trying to present were not viable. Then they go into closed session, come back, and roll with one of those "non-options."

I don't get the whole closed session thing either. It's either an open meeting or it's not...

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'm guessing the board wants to cross every T and dot the I's. In the end I predict the Colonel's a shoe-in.

No doubt.

It's still evident that individual members are looking at some of the good cases and putting then under a microscope to find a way out of overturning.

With the Cia guy one of them wanted to use his candor and overt nature about his former job against him. Almost saying he should keep his mouth shut about his past in order to avoid scrutiny.

One of the members tried to hold against the ex cop the fact that he waited 12 years after retiring to apply for a permit. Like you must fear for your safety immediately or lose the opportunity for life :rolleyes:

And even the longshot navy physicist. Points about the opm breach and security concerns were validated yet it was held against him that he applied before that happened and his documentation and support changed as world events unfolded.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    It has been back on page 2. I answered that Kenn Blanchard was approached and agreed to put his name in the hat. :party29:

My bad. I joined in the conversation late as I just decided to attend as of yesterday afternoon.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Lmao. This is my first meeting and I think my head is going to explode. I'm just spit balling here. Tim is taking detailed notes on his laptop. You'll have a more coherent report when he gets to it.

This entire process is insane. Except for the new chairman, these board members are RETARDED. jurgena sounds like a slightly alzheimers afflicted old man. Ms white is making things up on the fly. I can't believe these people get to make life changing decisions for people.

Jurgena's definitely a plus. Recall, he voted for the gent sitting next to you.

Last edited:

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Boy, right over ProtegeV's and dblas' heads . . . I was suggesting LR for the open Board seat! :lol2:

But I'll take Kenn Blanchard for the win :)

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    My application was poor timing and poor mindset. I wanted to apply as Joe Nobody and see what happened and do it on my own. But things changed and I thought I had a real chance. I didn't do an adequate job at presenting that information.
    That said my final circumstances seemed valid, Mr. Jurgena wanted to overturn, but does whether I can channel Ernest Hemingway in my application decided whether or not you get a proper consideration.

Last edited:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Jurgena's definitely a plus. Recall, voted for the gent sitting next to you.

yes, after sitting through the entire meeting I agree he's a good guy. But at times he definitely sounds confused. None of them are totally on point, but he's a least a plus.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    My application was poor timing and poor mindset. I wanted to apply as Joe Nobody and see what happened and do it on my own. But things changed and I thought I had a real chance. I didn't do an adequate job at presenting that information.
    That said my final circumstances seemed valid, Mr. Jurgena wanted to overturn, but does whether I can channel Ernest Hemingway in my application decided whether or not you get a proper consideration.

Edit: At this point I guess it's public record I'm the Navy (Civilian) Physicist.

I was rooting for ya. :party29:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Edit: At this point I guess it's public record I'm the Navy (Civilian) Physicist.

Tough nut to crack, don't be disappointed. Many fell for the DC euphoria too only to burn time and money. It is why dissent or opposing opinion is beneficial. Can keep a rational person's head out of the clouds. After the recent banishments, the Spiral of Silence may get even worse. People here do tend to prefer the herd, so be it.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    They had made up their mind in "closed session."

The revelations that the colonel presented in his final statements went right over the board's head. He presented his "smoking gun" and they ignored it. This due in large part because they just had no understanding of the facts presented.
    I'll defer to the judgement of those who have been around longer to view the process, but IMO the whole makeup of the board is a joke. These people don't even fully understand what they're doing. You may as well put me on a NASA panel about a mission to mars.

I'm guessing the board wants to cross every T and dot the I's. In the end I predict the Colonel's a shoe-in.

Could you please expand on the bolded parts? What was his smoking gun revelation? Why do you think he's a shoe-in?

Thanks.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Tough nut to crack, don't be disappointed. Many fell for the DC euphoria too only to burn time and money. It is why dissent or opposing opinion is beneficial. Can keep a rational person's head out of the clouds. After the recent banishments, the Spiral of Silence may get even worse. People here do tend to prefer the herd, so be it.

Not all, I know of several who have obtained DC permits. If they had listened to the Lone Nabob none would ever have applied....

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Could you please expand on the bolded parts? What was his smoking gun revelation? Why do you think he's a shoe-in?

Thanks.

Dblas could probably elucidate better than I.
    The colonel went to great lengths to point out how MSP had ignored him and either delayed or failed to follow through on parts of his app(background check, references, etc.)

The board had a problem overturning MSP with the process being "incomplete." During the short recess some people made him aware of some information that would render the board's trepidation moot. Such as the fact that a cjis check WAS done. IDK what the exact circumstances were, but the board sounded as if they had already made up their mind during their "closed session" and did not take any time to consider the applicants final statement.

The reason he's a shoe-in is because he has it all together. He has every reason in the world, WAY above and beyond, to get a permit. The only reason they delayed him is because the board feels that the MSP deserves more time to fully complete his background check.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    A few more thoughts about last night's HPRB meeting.

First, I believe we set an attendance record, at 20 observers. I would like to see this increase each successive meeting.

Second, one of the assertions made by the Maryland State Police was that a retired CIA Officer, who had all kinds of other so called "G&S" under Maryland's current permitting scheme, should not be allowed to exercise his right of self defense because he maintained an abbreviated job history under his LinkedIn profile.

I was lost as to why some HPRB members seemed to focus on the MSP's view that the applicant somehow forfeited his right to self defense simply because he maintained a LinkedIn profile.

Does a woman surrender the right not to be sexually assaulted because she wears a dress, instead of baggy sweatpants and an over sized sweater? Of course not.

Does a Law Enforcement Officer forfeit the right to self defense because he choose that as his or her profession? No.

Should a business owner lose his Maryland Handgun Permit because he or she advertises their product or service, or openly accepts cash?

Maryland's permitting scheme is moronic in conception, indefensible in purpose and unlawful in its execution.

One simply cant click somewhere to help us end this stupidity. Nor will complaints in an internet forum help much in advancing our shared cause.

One has to invest their time and money to end this ridiculousness.

You get the government you deserve.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Not all, I know of several who have obtained DC permits. If they had listened to the Lone Nabob none would ever have applied....

Those who beat the clock before the stay and really bulldogged DC , or others who were able to go over the hurdles higher than we have in Maryland.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    A few more thoughts about last night's HPRB meeting.

First, I believe we set an attendance record, at 20 observers. I would like to see this increase each successive meeting.

Second, one of the assertions made by the Maryland State Police was that a retired CIA Officer, who had all kinds of other so called "G&S" under Maryland's current permitting scheme, should not be allowed to exercise his right of self defense because he maintained an abbreviated job history under his LinkedIn profile.

I was lost as to why some HPRB members seemed to focus on the MSP's view that the applicant somehow forfeited his right to self defense simply because he maintained a LinkedIn profile.

Does a woman surrender the right not to be sexually assaulted because she wears a dress, instead of baggy sweatpants and an over sized sweater? Of course not.

Does a Law Enforcement Officer forfeit the right to self defense because he choose that as his or her profession? No.

Should a business owner lose his Maryland Handgun Permit because he or she advertises their product or service, or openly accepts cash?

Maryland's permitting scheme is moronic in conception, indefensible in purpose and unlawful in its execution.

One simply cant click somewhere to help us end this stupidity. Nor will complaints in an internet forum help much in advancing our shared cause.

One has to invest their time and money to end this ridiculousness.

You get the government you deserve.
    I saw a few familiar faces and introduced myself to a few new ones. I don't believe I had the pleasure of meeting you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom