• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Would be interested if I didn't have so many lowers sitting around already, at least one of which will become my 2nd 9mm AR.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    I love me some Andy and Engage, so anyone who wants to take this the wrong way can shove off. Andy and Ted did right by me back in the past and have my full loyalty. I do not want to see them invest in a product that takes a year to sell.

What is the market for a 9mm lower? How many 9mm AR-type platforms does Colt sell? Why do they not sell more? Lack of supply or lack of demand?

This is not a market I pay attention to, so please think about it, research it, and educate me. I don't want to see Engage invest in a market that isn't there. They're still sitting on a load of uppers that are slowly moving; that is money locked up that can't be used for other business purposes.

They fought harder than most or all in the fight against more gun control and I'd love to see their energy and compassion pay off, but I think Maryland is currently a losing battle. The next governor is going to be a key issue in the Maryland gun world and I'll bet Andy will let his vote be known, and I hope most of this board will as well, if you guys produce a candidate worth a hoot for our cause.

My concern going to the Glock mag route is that in the end it will be so expensive and the parts will be proprietary. You will have to buy our lower and our carrier. While from a business standpoint that might be good, its not fair to the customer and I've always been wary of anything that proprietary for my personal stuff.

So we go Glock mag route we'll have to include the carrier which will bump the cost up significantly. We'll also get people who say they'll do it themselves, dont do it right, and send the lower back (people do that all sort of stuff all the time). I think an entire package might run around $500. On our end, we'll now how have the money sunk into the lowers AND the carriers.

Also, we're making the new lowers to match our billet uppers which Im hoping will help move those. I don't think there is a super huge market for the 9mm lowers, but it will be something interesting.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    My concern going to the Glock mag route is that in the end it will be so expensive and the parts will be proprietary. You will have to buy our lower and our carrier. While from a business standpoint that might be good, its not fair to the customer and I've always been wary of anything that proprietary for my personal stuff.

So we go Glock mag route we'll have to include the carrier which will bump the cost up significantly. We'll also get people who say they'll do it themselves, dont do it right, and send the lower back (people do that all sort of stuff all the time). I think an entire package might run around $500. On our end, we'll now how have the money sunk into the lowers AND the carriers.

Also, we're making the new lowers to match our billet uppers which Im hoping will help move those. I don't think there is a super huge market for the 9mm lowers, but it will be something interesting.

While I was one of the guys asking about Glock mags back when, I think Andy's on the right track here. Especially with something like the AR, which is built totally around modularity and parts swapability, the less proprietary the better. Not that I wouldn't spend the money at Engage, but I'd rather have more choice, and so would all of the other people outside of Maryland who don't know Engage like we do, and like it or not the huge majority of the market for 9mm ARs is built around the Colt stick mags.

As I said earlier, I am in for one of these when you're ready to take deposits.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    While i totally understand your assertion about the glock mag lower/carrier, we can still hope that the market will grow to the point where they may be more marketable. Something else to consider, however, is why would a POS like a keltec sub2k be selling used for twice what they go for new. It aint their reliability and good looks.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    While i totally understand your assertion about the glock mag lower/carrier, we can still hope that the market will grow to the point where they may be more marketable. Something else to consider, however, is why would a POS like a keltec sub2k be selling used for twice what they go for new. It aint their reliability and good looks.

You know, that is an EXCELLENT point.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Have to go with Colt stick mags, that is the way to go ! So are the lowers ready yet....lol...

:party29: right on! (gotta love multi-quote)

We will have a 3D printed model available this week hopefully so we're progressing.

I got dibbs once you get it in the shop!! Need some pics!!

A lot of people shoot GLOCKs. I don't. I'd rather buy a Colt SMG mag I can resell for what I bought than stock up on GLOCK mags that I'll never resell.

This, I am with you. Plus everybody screaming about having Glock mags already, knowing good and well they will never shoot an AR15 rifle/pistol/sbr build with just a 15 or 17 round pistol mag. You will still find yourselves buying those 33 rounders. Plus there are decent Colt style mags available for around $20.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    This, I am with you. Plus everybody screaming about having Glock mags already, knowing good and well they will never shoot an AR15 rifle/pistol/sbr build with just a 15 or 17 round pistol mag. You will still find yourselves buying those 33 rounders. Plus there are decent Colt style mags available for around $20.

Acceptable compromise: make it take only 31/32 rd HK USP mags. They're on sale for $120 right now at Midway!

:lol2:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The money would be in a lower that took unmodified Uzi mags. The VMH blocks go for big money now. Not super hard to design, either, albeit the mag catch would need some thinking. If you want to look at my VMH block, I'll bring it in next week.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    There's already two companies making these Colt-style lowers... Engage may as well just rebrand the ones that that DDLES successor company is selling. Or CMMG.

There is room for 3, how many companies make standard AR15 lowers and they still sell (hundreds). Plus CMMG is not making what Engage intends to make and what DDLES (QC10) is currently making. The close cut mag well is what separates these from other 9mm lowers.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Also this thread was to gauge who would be interested in getting one and or putting up a deposit, they were not asking for suggestions on which way to go with the project. Some how that's what it turned into. The original post said it would be with Colt mags, not what mags would you like to see.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Also this thread was to gauge who would be interested in getting one and or putting up a deposit, they were not asking for suggestions on which way to go with the project. Some how that's what it turned into. The original post said it would be with Colt mags, not what mags would you like to see.
    I guess I missed the vote where they elected you to be forum policeman. I gave input. They can ignore it if they want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom