• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I have had some incredible service at the Eldersburg Walmart. And their shipments come in regularly now, or at least seem to be when I am there..... I get what I ask for, they are quite pleasant, and, actually getting to know the sporting goods associate, he is a very pleasant gentleman who isn't uncomfortable around gun people and actually was joking with me, said "Yeah, people love coming to Walmart for ammo, only place they can get their ammo and bread." Get it? Guns and butter? budum dum.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I like my local Dick's, and the one in Manassas. I don't like visiting the one in Fairfax that used to be the Galyan's. They rarely have anyone manning the gun counter, even though 1/3 of the people going there are headed that way.

kjf45

Jan 3, 2012
    Catonsville
    I have had some incredible service at the Eldersburg Walmart. And their shipments come in regularly now, or at least seem to be when I am there..... I get what I ask for, they are quite pleasant, and, actually getting to know the sporting goods associate, he is a very pleasant gentleman who isn't uncomfortable around gun people and actually was joking with me, said "Yeah, people love coming to Walmart for ammo, only place they can get their ammo and bread." Get it? Guns and butter? budum dum.

Yup no problems from me either at that walmart. Every time i go browsing by the case within minutes there is someone asking if i need something out of it. I went by one morning to pick up some ammo at around 6am the only guy with the key was up front on register had to wait a minute for him to come back but it was early. They have been getting shipments in weekly but you need to get some of it as soon as it hits the floor cause it goes fast.

Nov 23, 2010
    dicks bel air employees

i went through a similar ordeal a while ago. i used to stop in pretty regularly to shop ammo prices and cleaning supplies.
    i was probably turned off by the same employee and i wrote a similar post on mds about it.
    there are a couple of young guys who would drop everything to help, but this gentleman was a real ass. i have not been back since.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD

I am glad you had a good experience. EVERYTIME I go the Eldersburg Walmart, there is never anyone at the sporting gods counter. I go over to the automotive counter and they page someone. The one time I waited it took 10 minutes, maybe more. After that I just leave after 4 minutes. Now I never consider that store, but Westminster, Mt Airy and Hampstead Walmarts seem okay.

Mr H

Banana'd
    How do those Redneck Fairy Tales start??

"Y'all ain't gonna bleev this chit..."

Went to Dick's at lunch today, just to hit the clearance racks, and poke around a while.

Well, I found a $50 lightweight Columbia shirt for $15, and picked up a rifle sling I sorta need.

I get to the checkout, and the gal there asks for my birth date. I tell her "no thanks," thinking it was a demographic thing like the zip code or whatever, and she snaps, "No--we need it to sell this."

WTF???

"You're kidding... it's an ACCESSORY! Never mind, I don't need it THAT bad."

She gets bent and throws the sucker into a bin.

I'd have just left, but I really wanted the shirt.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    You had several choices
    since this is not an age required item you could have given her todays date and let her put it in her computer
    You could have pushed the point and let her know that there is no laws requiring an age limit on this however there are laws prohibiting the collection of unneeded personal information and taken it to the store manager

Mr H

Banana'd
    You had several choices
    since this is not an age required item you could have given her todays date and let her put it in her computer
    You could have pushed the point and let her know that there is no laws requiring an age limit on this however there are laws prohibiting the collection of unneeded personal information and taken it to the store manager

I saw the screen when I looked up... it appeared to specifically ask for DoB, and even giving a phony one (to me) would have been playing their game.

As for the law thing?? It was just a rifle sling. Not worth the time and agitation.

I can spend my money elsewhere.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Glen burnie never asks to see my id for ammo. They do ask my birthdate though when I buy ammo. When I use a bankcard, they ask to see my id because i have SEE I D on the back :)

Mr H

Banana'd
    Glen burnie never asks to see my id for ammo. They do ask my birthdate though when I buy ammo. When I use a bankcard, they ask to see my id because i have SEE I D on the back :)

I'd heard of the DoB for ammo bit, and I can understand--to a point.

But this was just ludicrous. I'm guessing that it would be the same for a case, scope cover, choke tubes...

I can get what I need elsewhere.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Dicks here in Tempe, AZ lost my business after they tried to get me to fill out some legal-ese paperwork in addition to a 4473. I refused to fill out their BS paperwork, they refused to sell me the rifle, then they refused to return the 4473 with all of my information on it, claiming that they needed to keep it in their records (correct) and that a copy of it is sent to their corporate office. I informed them that it's a felony to make any copies of a 4473, at which point they asked me to leave the store.

I called the ATF while in the parking lot.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Well, after reading through this entire thread, with a few exceptions it appears that corporate Dick's is indeed trying to live up to their name. To me, they are worth avoiding.

Now, as the one poster mentioned, will BJ's try to live up to theirs??? :lol2:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Well, after reading through this entire thread, with a few exceptions it appears that corporate Dick's is indeed trying to live up to their name. To me, they are worth avoiding.

Now, as the one poster mentioned, will BJ's try to live up to theirs??? :lol2:

If they're giving..., I may just have to renew my membership... :D

Mr H

Banana'd
    Was killing some time today while the wife was shopping with the granddaughter, and dropped into Dick's in Glen Burnie.

Surprisingly, there was actually someone behind the gun counter.

I asked him about what I encountered, and it was the first he'd ever heard of it, and figured it was some new chain policy. We chatted a little, and I got the feeling he was interested but out of the loop.

I mentioned that they could be losing business over this, and he actually seemed concerned over it.

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    I dont like Dicks either, bad service.:tdown:

Seems like every time I go to the Hunt Valley store, I get in line and there is always some broad ahead of me with a bunch of kids returning 15 thousand items, and causing a big delay. I like how Bass Pro has a seperate counter for customer service and returns.

The Hunt Valley Dicks sells rifles and rifle ammo, but not pistols or pistol ammo, go figure? And they dont sell hunting and fishing licenses either.

Dicks acts like they dont want your business.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I dont like Dicks either, bad service.:tdown:

Seems like every time I go to the Hunt Valley store, I get in line and there is always some broad ahead of me with a bunch of kids returning 15 thousand items, and causing a big delay. I like how Bass Pro has a seperate counter for customer service and returns.

The Hunt Valley Dicks sells rifles and rifle ammo, but not pistols or pistol ammo, go figure? And they dont sell hunting and fishing licenses either.

Dicks acts like they dont want your business.

As a [former] regular there...

They do sell handgun ammo there, but it's often scarce in the common calibers.

I've not known any Dick's to sell handguns (at least in MD).

They do fishing licenses there (at least they did last I knew), but you had to do it at the rear checkout. I don't know about hunting licenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom