.260 Remington (bolt-action), tips/advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Brad,

Its a little time off but you are more then welcome to come down with us on the next trip to see Ed shell. We are going down in Sept.

Appreciate it, all I need is a date and a idea of cost - I'll make it happen. It'd be great to have someone knowledgeable observe and make suggestions.

Thankfully, I don't think there's too many bad habits for him to un-teach with me. :o

Sounds like a pilgrimage to see the shaman. I am sure I would benefit from Ed's experience in reloading.

1 aspect at a time for me, too much info to absorb.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I'm in my "busy season" I hope to get back to playing with my 260. I got a couple hundred amax 140's to work up. Until then I'll be watching this thread.... Good luck!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Got back to it today, had the range entirely to myself for almost 2.5 hours, so it gave me a perfect opportunity to actually shoot without distractions.

First, some chrony verification. (And to give myself a chance to get settled in.)

Re-tested a 10-round batch of RL17, a batch I had actually taken my time with. 5 were made with Win LRP, the other 5 with CCI 200's.

39.6gr RL17, 142gr SMK, COL of 2.820" - Temperature was 82 degrees, rifle and ammo in the shade.

The CCI 200 batch: Max - 2701, Min - 2648, Avg - 2683, ES - 53, SD - 20.

Even though the numbers aren't the greatest, they did shoot quite well - with the exception of the 1 round I sent high, which was my 1st shot of the day - figures.

20150530_112047.jpg

The Win LRP batch: Max - 2715, Min - 2707, Avg - 2712, ES - 8, SD - 3.

Even though the numbers looked good, this batch didn't shoot that great. I think I may have found the 'scatter node' for this round/powder/primer combo.

20150530_115202.jpg

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The H414 batches tested a bit better this time around. Although I think I may have had 1 with a heavier than intended charge - my powder drop normally takes a few throws before it gets consistent after a powder change.

42.4 to 42.6gr H414, 142 SMK, COL of 2.820". 15 with CCI 200's, 15 with Win LRP - I'd meant to grab the batch with GM210M primers, but there's always another day.

Temp was 82 degrees, just starting to lose the shade.

Win LRP batch: Max - 2908 (heavy charge), Min - 2808, Avg - 2854, SD - 26, ES - 100. 10 rounds over the chrono, 5 w/out chrono attached.

Again, not great numbers, but they shot well - I admittedly blew it on 2 shots though, sent 1 high, pulled 1 low (left side of target).

20150530_140116.jpg

CCI 200 LRP batch: Max - 2847, Min - 2801, Avg - 2828, SD - 15, ES - 46. 10 rounds over the chrono, 5 on the target w/out chrono attached.

Numbers could be better, but I'm finding this load to do pretty well in the rifle (right side of target).

Guess I just needed to take a few days off, and make some minor adjustments. Not quite there yet, but getting closer. :)

Eta: I should probably start using a rear bag or rest...

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Tested the FGM210M batch today. Couldn't say anything about accuracy though, scope base got knocked loose when the rifle took a fall last night during cleaning - that WON'T happen again. :o

42.5gr H414, 142 SMK, COL 2.815", FGM210M. Temp: 86, humid. 10 rounds over the chrono.

Max - 2828
    Min - 2794
    Avg - 2807

SD - 10
    ES - 34

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Good info here... I have worked up a load for my .260 that works well:
    -44gr H4350
    -130gr Norma Golden Target
    -Remington brass
    -Federal Match primers

Having said that, Nosler is coming out with a 142gr Spitzer that is quoted to have a .719 BC... Holy Moly! Can't wait to try them in the .260.

Yoshi, have you gotten your hands on them yet?

I'm almost out of 142gr SMK's, so I figured I'd ask.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You too, eh?;)

Yeah. I was hoping Yoshi was the guinea pig this time around. :D

I've taken almost a month off, so it's time to get back in the swing of things and see if I can recapture some of that magic I had a couple of months ago with the .260 and my handloads.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I just got my TB suppressor(older unit, not the latest one) last week and some 140 gr Amax's and now I have zero time to devote:-( Thanks for the updates it def wet my whistle to get the 260 out again....

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm still debating on whether or not I'll go back to the basics after the 142gr SMK's are gone.

The variation I get from my powder drop with H414 is frustrating. Seriously considering just sticking with Varget and the 120/123gr rounds and giving up a little bit of range. My powder drop seems to throw more consistently with the extruded sticks.

Been trying to snag some H4350 for months, no luck so far.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For shyts and giggles loaded up a batch of RL17/142gr SMK's and ran those today, wasn't really going for groups or to get data - just to go out and shoot - knock some of the rust off.

Was pleasantly surprised to see that the loads at 41.1gr RL-17 were shooting quite nicely. Had a nice 10 round group that could be covered by a half dollar. Know they could do better though, shot my 10-string at the end of the day and by then fatigue was becoming apparent.

41.1gr RL-17, CCI 200's, COL of 2.805" - primers were showing slight signs of cratering, extracted without issue or excessive effort.

I have about 70 SMK's left, 20 to load, the rest are already loaded. So I'm going to have to make a decision soon.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I just happen to know where some h4350 and some smk 142's are sitting

Well, a little birdy got me some boxes of Nosler's 142gr with that very nice .719 BC, so that's a welcome surprise for me.

However, H4350 is something I've been holding out for since I got this rifle built - if you don't have a need for it, I'll gladly trade ya some Buffalo Bore in 10mm for it. :D

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Well, a little birdy got me some boxes of Nosler's 142gr with that very nice .719 BC, so that's a welcome surprise for me.

However, H4350 is something I've been holding out for since I got this rifle built - if you don't have a need for it, I'll gladly trade ya some Buffalo Bore in 10mm for it. :D

I might know where there is a bunch for trade, depending on what you have. Pm me if interested.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Guess I'll be the guinea pig for the Nosler Accubond Long Range 142's this time around.

I'll load 4 small batches for short-range initial testing (100 yards), but I have a feeling there will be a Delmarva trip in my future to see how they fly at 500 yards.

It really annoys me that the best I can manage (w/out a membership) is only 500 yards. Almost seems a waste.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Big thanks to Speed3 for the powder trade, been trying for quite some time now to get my mitts on some H4350 - and now I finally have some. :party29:

It's time to go play mad scientist. :evilgrin3

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Think I stumbled into my most stable load with H4350, it isn't necessarily the MOST accurate load - but it seems to be the most stable so far. I'll take stability any day of the week. :)

43.1gr's and the 142 Nosler's seem to be my butter zone after initial testing. Will have to make the drive to Delmarva to verify, and to chrony them.

I varied the COL, varied the brass, and varied the primers. With the exception of the Win LRP's, they all shot very consistently but with very subtle differences (although that could be me...).

The added bonus for me, the bore and the brass are quite clean - the bore almost looks as clean as it did before I left this morning.

If my velocities are stable, I'm calling an end to the testing.

I'd rather waste some barrel life shooting with Ed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom