• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    looks like the anti-trolls are taking turns in the comments section. It's was elcid's turn and now I think mojosfun is going for the "king dumbass" crown

I named elcid89 and IsabellsF "Macho Libre and Cinday Lauper" mojosfun is Capt. Lou Albano. It's the tag team match of the century against Capt. America and his sidekick 2A ;)

One thing to take note of is this ...

OpinionWorks has totally changed their website overnight, removing their list of 'progressive clients' and making their business presentation a softer, gentler one. However, you can still find residule content on the internet Wayback Machine. GreenBook, an internet listing of market research firms, still has a partial client list.

They can run, but they can't hide.

Their corporate moto used to be "Finding Insights That Bring Results", now it's "Understand the attitudes and perceptions of the public. Know how to engage your audience." More like, manipulate the sheeple with slanted polling results and unsubstantiated data.

OpinionWorks and The Baltimore Sunpapers jumped the shark on this one.

Anyone else commenting should call this out loud and clear. Subscribers to the Sunpapers are being duped.

Attachments

• OpinionWorks 1.JPG
      OpinionWorks 1.JPG
      141.6 KB · Views: 229
    • OpinionWorks 2.jpg
      OpinionWorks 2.jpg
      64.7 KB · Views: 227

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My issue here is that the sample size is no where near the 3.5% percentage indicated by Tyeraxus post nor does 0.00013793% of a population (800 of 5.8mil) guarantee of confidence interval of 95%as implied.
    I wish I could be more clear here, so let me say it how it is: from a statistics perspective, it is the equivalent of denying the value of 2+2=4 because you don't know what "+" or "=" means, and you're really sure in your gut it should be 2+2=22. It is really, really embarrassing to see our community showing this kind of ignorance and then ignoring the people trying to help them understand because they don't like the results they're hearing.

The sample size is not supposed to be "3.5%" of the population. Polling 800 truly random voters in Maryland resulted in these results +-3.5%, and there is a ~95% chance the results are true within those limits. There's no bias in how these numbers were calculated; you plug them into a basic statistics equation and get results back.

Valid criticisms and questions are:
    1. What were the questions? Were they loaded?
    2. What was the polling method? Was it truly random?

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    People should be asked, "do you want the result of a law for 'no gun' zones?

Chicago = 500+ murders last year...more than most states. Do you really want this?

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Looks like the anti's arguing on there are starting to openly admit they're trolls working for the anti-gun campaigns.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I wish I could be more clear here, so let me say it how it is: from a statistics perspective, it is the equivalent of denying the value of 2+2=4 because you don't know what "+" or "=" means, and you're really sure in your gut it should be 2+2=22. It is really, really embarrassing to see our community showing this kind of ignorance and then ignoring the people trying to help them understand because they don't like the results they're hearing.

The sample size is not supposed to be "3.5%" of the population. Polling 800 truly random voters in Maryland resulted in these results +-3.5%, and there is a ~95% chance the results are true within those limits. There's no bias in how these numbers were calculated; you plug them into a basic statistics equation and get results back.

Would another valid concern be "Where do the respondents live?" or was that what you intended from the "random" question?

In general, Montgomery County has a different value system than the Eastern Shore. Would that affect the poll?

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Would another valid concern be "Where do the respondents live?" or was that what you intended from the "random" question?
    That is what I meant. But, honestly, I'd be a little shocked if they were systematically screwing up like that... the protocol for doing random sampling of a population of people is well-known and -established.

The most likely scenario is that this poll is correctly measuring the feelings of Marylanders on the questions is being asked. No, that's not a good thing for us, but denial is not going to help the cause. The questions may be loaded, but it's still cover for politicians to act.

IMHO, the most interesting part of the WaPo article was where there was a minor Democratic rebellion over retroactive licensing requirements. We may be in better shape than we think, or so I hope.

R357

Jun 23, 2009
    Upper Marlboro

Your proposition is based on a perfect distributed sampling,(random as you refered to it), however not with standing other factors such bears an objective relationship to the sampleing percentage of the population. If you are going to continue to defend a contradictory study based on assumptions the the polled population was ideal, and then contradict yourself by calling into question if the sample group was ideal, then maybe you could kindly refrain from calling others ignorant.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    The only opinion that counts is MoCo, PG, Bmore, Howard. And even then only "designated areas" of those places count anyways. They wouldn't get the same results polling in Poolesville, Brandywine or Taylorsville that they would in Rockville, Landover or Columbia. Some animals are more equal than others.

Ellegon

Ultimate Member
    Sep 15, 2012
    Parkville
    I named elcid89 and IsabellsF "Macho Libre and Cinday Lauper" mojosfun is Capt. Lou Albano. It's the tag team match of the century against Capt. America and his sidekick 2A ;)

One thing to take note of is this ...

OpinionWorks has totally changed their website overnight, removing their list of 'progressive clients' and making their business presentation a softer, gentler one. However, you can still find residule content on the internet Wayback Machine. GreenBook, an internet listing of market research firms, still has a partial client list.

They can run, but they can't hide.

Their corporate moto used to be "Finding Insights That Bring Results", now it's "Understand the attitudes and perceptions of the public. Know how to engage your audience." More like, manipulate the sheeple with slanted polling results and unsubstantiated data.

OpinionWorks and The Baltimore Sunpapers jumped the shark on this one.

Anyone else commenting should call this out loud and clear. Subscribers to the Sunpapers are being duped.

I've had many conversations with elcid. I believe he works in some capacity for Gansler. He's avoided a direct answer,but I believe he's part of the problem. Go back and re-read his responses. They sometimes state "we're working on this or we're looking into that".Be very careful with him I believe he is dangerous to our cause!!!

dirtybird

Mar 20, 2010
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-gun-poll-20130113,0,835835.story?track=rss

So... if the state gov plays out like this poll indicates, then we are in for some rough times. :sad20:

Anybody that doesn't think there is going to AWB in MD very soon and a mag capacity law is delusional. Really it's a wonder there was not one all along. Plan on it. Will not be surprised if it is made retro on the mags, (ie you have a year or so to sell or destroy them then flat illegal like the MA law. The numbers of fools willing to give up their rights for some imagined safety are overwhelming in MD. Good news is, there are lots of states that are stacked the other way.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    My issue here is that the sample size is no where near the 3.5% percentage indicated by Tyeraxus post nor does 0.00013793% of a population (800 of 5.8mil) guarantee of confidence interval of 95%as implied.

it is not 3.5% sampling - it is a (if truly random and proper sampling) a rsult within a 3.5% error of the result from polling 100% of the population.

so if done correctly the poll result of 46% with a 3.5% error is really 42.5%-49.5%

this poll could be simply scewed by the fact that conservatives tend to not like answering polls, etc...

R357

Jun 23, 2009
    Upper Marlboro
    it is not 3.5% sampling - it is a (if truly random and proper sampling) a rsult within a 3.5% error of the result from polling 100% of the population.

so if done correctly the poll result of 46% with a 3.5% error is really 42.5%-49.5%

this poll could be simply scewed by the fact that conservatives tend to not like answering polls, etc...

I understand the above, my comment was directed to the original presentation of the percentage by tyeraxus.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Your proposition is based on a perfect distributed sampling,(random as you refered to it), however not with standing other factors such bears an objective relationship to the sampleing percentage of the population.
    Try rewriting this into English that other people can understand, please. The method described should produce perfectly valid statistical results in the state of Maryland, as it has umpteen million times before.

If you are going to continue to defend a contradictory study based on assumptions the the polled population was ideal, and then contradict yourself by calling into question if the sample group was ideal, then maybe you could kindly refrain from calling others ignorant.
    What "assumption"? The article said it was 800 randomly-selected voters. I didn't contradict myself on anything. I said, here are a couple potentially valid criticisms of polls. Not, "this is a valid criticism of this particular poll".

Do you have some sort of specific criticism about their polling method? Put up or shut up. Right now, your criticism of the poll appears to be wholly based on "I didn't like the outcome, so I am going to invent problems out of whole cloth."

R357

Jun 23, 2009
    Upper Marlboro
    Try rewriting this into English that other people can understand, please. The method described should produce perfectly valid statistical results in the state of Maryland, as it has umpteen million times before.

What "assumption"? The article said it was 800 randomly-selected voters. I didn't contradict myself on anything. I said, here are a couple potentially valid criticisms of polls. Not, "this is a valid criticism of this particular poll".

Do you have some sort of specific criticism about their polling method? Put up or shut up. Right now, your criticism of the poll appears to be wholly based on "I didn't like the outcome, so I am going to invent problems out of whole cloth."

You can throw as many insults as you like out there, but your playing in the mud by yourself. My feelings regarding the poll and the assement that the confidence factor should not be short handed to 95% are of record and presented above.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I've had many conversations with elcid. I believe he works in some capacity for Gansler. He's avoided a direct answer,but I believe he's part of the problem. Go back and re-read his responses. They sometimes state "we're working on this or we're looking into that".Be very careful with him I believe he is dangerous to our cause!!!

He's a CPA in Hartford County; most likely working for or under contract to the state fom what I can tell based on interweb searches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom