• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    That's a nice one, Gunbroker? Seems like a REALLY good price on that one.

After shooting my dad's Swedish Mauser, I definitely must get one eventually. I think next is going to be a Finn Mosin though.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Geez Louise, you've made some good hauls recently!

I'll get burned one of these days. I've just gambled on a few things lately and they paid off.

I know how that goes (the burned part).
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained though.
    It's part of the thrill :)

After you've looked at everything you can, and evaluated all the information that's available, sometimes you just have to go with your gut feeling. More often than not, it's right.

vfr750f

Feb 2, 2008
    Polish P64 Grade 2 from AIM

Just opened - they had emailed a link for their Grade 2 P64s, so I decided to get another. I'm happy with the purchase.

Attachments

• DSC06595.jpg
      DSC06595.jpg
      84.5 KB · Views: 175
    • DSC06596.jpg
      DSC06596.jpg
      82.9 KB · Views: 177

necrodude

Aug 22, 2012
    PG county, MD
    Is there some special way to take off the front barrel band on the M48? I've been trying since yesterday to take it off but it just won't budge.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Is there some special way to take off the front barrel band on the M48? I've been trying since yesterday to take it off but it just won't budge.

push the side latch thingie in hard. it has a dimple on it that goes through the hole in the band. Should be easy to see. Mine was not easy, definitly not something I could do just by hand.
    I used a clamp with cardboard on both sides and then pushed in hard on mine.
    I use dowels or plastic rods to push/punch on the bands so I don't scratch.

Pull the metal thingie out to knock the rear band forwards. I use a plastic hammer on the sling side.
    Top handguard is held in with a metal C band (need to watch a vid to see what I'm talking about) you have to work it out without prying and damaging the wood.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    :sad20:
    push the side latch thingie in hard. it has a dimple on it that goes through the hole in the band. Should be easy to see. Mine was not easy, definitly not something I could do just by hand.
    I used a clamp with cardboard on both sides and then pushed in hard on mine.
    I use dowels or plastic rods to push/punch on the bands so I don't scratch.

Pull the metal thingie out to knock the rear band forwards. I use a plastic hammer on the sling side.
    Top handguard is held in with a metal C band (need to watch a vid to see what I'm talking about) you have to work it out without prying and damaging the wood.

Yeah, mine is extremely tight and I had to do just that. A clamp makes all the difference, gives you a free hand. I have some punches I made out of 1/2'' nylon rod ground down in different shapes on a bench grinder that work great for punching those bands without hurting the finish.

I wish I could say someone was that careful with the rifle before me, it was obviously beaten on with a hammer :sad20:

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Which one? She had a few nice ones this last time around.

You are going to be eating catchup and dry pasta if you don't stop buying guns!

I was going to post the link but she took it off the list instead of leaving it up for a while saying "SOLD", but it was one of the cheaper ones, with a post war stock. But I liked the looks of it, has honest bluing wear, and a shiny/sharp bore. Depending on how much I like this first one, I may or may not go looking for a better example next time.

You're right, I'm going to be eating toaster shakings and tang-sandwiches Bundy style if I'm not careful!

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I was going to post the link but she took it off the list instead of leaving it up for a while saying "SOLD", but it was one of the cheaper ones, with a post war stock. But I liked the looks of it, has honest bluing wear, and a shiny/sharp bore. Depending on how much I like this first one, I may or may not go looking for a better example next time.

You're right, I'm going to be eating toaster shakings and tang-sandwiches Bundy style if I'm not careful!

You will like your M39. I am not a Mosin collector but I have 3 M39s (I had 4) and 1500 rounds of Russian Surplus.

Nothing she sells is "cheap". Next time around, buy a Sako in a war time stock (she has nice run of the mill ones quite regularly) or a VKT if she offers one with a war time stock (I waited a year to find one of these with an Imperial Eagle that hadn't been ground). You can usually pick one of these up for $349 to $429.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    You will like your M39. I am not a Mosin collector but I have 3 M39s (I had 4) and 1500 rounds of Russian Surplus.

Nothing she sells is "cheap". Next time around, buy a Sako in a war time stock (she has nice run of the mill ones quite regularly) or a VKT if she offers one with a war time stock (I waited a year to find one of these with an Imperial Eagle that hadn't been ground). You can usually pick one of these up for $349 to $429.

There were a couple in wartime stocks but I just wasn't digging those, they were real dark. I liked the looks of this one, and for some reason wanted a Sako, so I went with it. It was one of the cheapest she had at 389. the cheapest was 379 at the time.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    There were a couple in wartime stocks but I just wasn't digging those, they were real dark. I liked the looks of this one, and for some reason wanted a Sako, so I went with it. It was one of the cheapest she had at 389. the cheapest was 379 at the time.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

I'm not criticizing your choice. 75% of the VKTs that she sells are in post war stocks. There is nothing wrong with them other than that they aren't period correct for a war time rifle. Some of them are quite nice and beautiful. Collectors (me included) seem to covet the war time stocks, is all. Personally, they just aren't for me because the history aspect. This last round had a few nice M39s in war time stocks but most of them are gone now. These were the 3 that I liked:

http://www.gunsnammo.com/5772X.htm

http://www.gunsnammo.com/21870X.htm

http://www.gunsnammo.com/3844X.htm

When I looked the other day, I think I didn't like what war time stocks were left. She will post more. My VKT is probably the best shooter of the 3 (maybe it's tied with my Sk.Y). My Sako is the prettiest of the three. Just be patient and you will find one that you like for what you want to spend.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I'm not criticizing your choice. 75% of the VKTs that she sells are in post war stocks. There is nothing wrong with them other than that they aren't period correct for a war time rifle. Some of them are quite nice and beautiful. Collectors (me included) seem to covet the war time stocks, is all. Personally, they just aren't for me because the history aspect. This last round had a few nice M39s in war time stocks but most of them are gone now. These were the 3 that I liked:

http://www.gunsnammo.com/5772X.htm

http://www.gunsnammo.com/21870X.htm

http://www.gunsnammo.com/3844X.htm

When I looked the other day, I think I didn't like what war time stocks were left. She will post more. My VKT is probably the best shooter of the 3 (maybe it's tied with my Sk.Y). My Sako is the prettiest of the three. Just be patient and you will find one that you like for what you want to spend.

Those 3 are pretty nice, I guess I tend to like the lighter stocks better. I've never even held one, and there isn't anyone around with one. So, I guess this purchase was

A) To add to my "Mosin" collection
    B) To add to my WWI-era rifle collection
    and

C) To see if I like these well enough to collect them separately

So I went in a little blind. I was hoping to find one in a wartime stock that I really liked, but the only one that caught my eye- someone had sanded down the grip area for some reason...

I'm excited to see just how different/better these are than my other Mosins in my collection.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    C) To see if I like these well enough to collect them separately

:lol2:

So I went in a little blind. I was hoping to find one in a wartime stock that I really liked, but the only one that caught my eye- someone had sanded down the grip area for some reason...

Good decision. Be patient but act quickly when you see one you like. I bought all of mine from PB.

I'm excited to see just how different/better these are than my other Mosins in my collection.

They aren't much different. The look like a Mosin, they feel similar and they work like a Mosin. The sights are better but still a battle sight. It's hard to articulate the reasons, but you will like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom