• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • That is actually a good idea.

Excellent idea. A lot of people in gov't don't understand private business, how it works or is organized. They may have no conception of any relationship among individuals and entities other than employee/employer - independent contractor's not something they can understand. Make the explanation as simple as possible - so the average 5th grader could understand it. You're not dealing with realtors - or lawyers.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    So I guess by similar logic a bank owner would need a letter signed the the Federal Reserve chairman and a Dr running his own practice would need a letter from the surgeon general? :bigwhoop:

FoxtrotAviator

Apr 7, 2013
    I'm just curious. I understand you are a business owner. Is that what you are using for your G&S ? Or are you specifying certain aspects of your work profile as your G&S? Such as Handling large sums of cash, deposits , etc. or personally responsible for items of high value. Dangerous work atmosphere, etc.
    You may have listed this in your other posts. I just didn't see any.
    I'm just trying to get a better understanding of your particular situation in this JOKE of a state we live in.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I'm just curious. I understand you are a business owner. Is that what you are using for your G&S ? Or are you specifying certain aspects of your work profile as your G&S? Such as Handling large sums of cash, deposits , etc. or personally responsible for items of high value. Dangerous work atmosphere, etc.
    You may have listed this in your other posts. I just didn't see any.
    I'm just trying to get a better understanding of your particular situation in this JOKE of a state we live in.

Just being a business owner does not qualify you. I listed some scenarios and activities I conduct that are generally accepted as "G&S".

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    If your potential buyers are anything like my last four potential renters, a copy of their court records should be enough all by itself. I had people with everything from traffic violations to Attempted Murder.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    What is interesting about this to me is that they pretty carefully create a legal record in cases in which a reasonable G&S has been established, but they still will not issue a permit. Thus, the sympathetic view of the trooper, who reasonably thinks the permit ought to be granted, but is not involved in the actual politics.

Many applicants really don't meet the G&S under MD law (whether you agree with the law or not, it is what it is.) Those applicants seem to be summarily refused.

On the other hand, there are those that do reasonably meet a G&S standard, in which case the board comes up with a further thin legal rationale for refusal. Here, it is demanding that the employer certify necessity. In my case, though I had established good G&S based on threats with police reports, etc., it was that these had occurred at my residence, where I was already "legally permitted" to carry a firearm.

This won't change until the personnel on the board are changed, and/or the new MSP superintendent actually decides to apply the law as it is written. What irks me as much as anything, is the Orwellian application of G&S in this state, which allows diminution of rights under the color of cleverly worded legalisms.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    hey Tim you could always come up here, Heck I would even let you do the gun shows with me, maybe even give you a spot for a Realtor sign ( small one) on the table.

I understand your pain , the current police don't even want the retired ones to have guns. they make them jump thru some big hoops just to get their permits.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    What is interesting about this to me is that they pretty carefully create a legal record in cases in which a reasonable G&S has been established, but they still will not issue a permit. Thus, the sympathetic view of the trooper, who reasonably thinks the permit ought to be granted, but is not involved in the actual politics.

Many applicants really don't meet the G&S under MD law (whether you agree with the law or not, it is what it is.) Those applicants seem to be summarily refused.

On the other hand, there are those that do reasonably meet a G&S standard, in which case the board comes up with a further thin legal rationale for refusal. Here, it is demanding that the employer certify necessity. In my case, though I had established good G&S based on threats with police reports, etc., it was that these had occurred at my residence, where I was already "legally permitted" to carry a firearm.

This won't change until the personnel on the board are changed, and/or the new MSP superintendent actually decides to apply the law as it is written. What irks me as much as anything, is the Orwellian application of G&S in this state, which allows diminution of rights under the color of cleverly worded legalisms.

I understand what you are saying, but they are not my employer.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Long and short for those who haven't seen my other posts, I am self-employed(Realtor). They want the brokerage whom I am affiliated with to write a letter that states they "want" me to be armed while working and affiliated with this broker. The brokerage will not permit my manager to sign such a letter and I completely understand why. I am furious as I meet all of the "G&S" reasons and my interviewing trooper said I looked like a standard case for them.

IT'S ON!

screen_shot_2015-02-25_at_3.17.04_pm.png
    I would have signed for you. ;)

I am not in the real estate business, how hard is it for you to get a brokers license?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I think it's ridiculous that the state wants you to rely on the whim of a random third party to determine whether you are "allowed" to exercise your rights.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Tim, do you have your own actual company (LLC or s corp or something) and if so have that company write your letter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom