Carrying a handgun on apartment property?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    they have protection and full rights. but if they cant follow the md law they cant exercise it.
    True- under maryland law- that individual is "effectively forbidden" by (IMO) what then becomes an unconstitutional law. Because it is effectively making it a requirement to have a "fixed address" to exercise a COTUS right. I doubt that would pass any level of scrutiny. (Assuming yet again its not a political hack judge interpretation of the law)

Edit: I already think it's a unconstitutional law, but that's not the argument here.

Dec 31, 2012
    I'd like to see the AG's "opinion" on this (not the apartment,but the homeless aspect) could get interesting.

The homeless can open carry long guns?

That would certainly make road side begging more interesting.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    I'd like to see the AG's "opinion" on this (not the apartment,but the homeless aspect) could get interesting.
    Any legal eagles want to draft up the question for opinion from the AG's office?

And if it were to be a 2a favorable opinion- it would really open the door further litigation on handguns outside the "home" and equal protection.

Just sent this to the AG office:

Recently I was asked what a person should do with a firearm should they become homeless.Could you please tell me what their options are.This is in reference to a handgun only, since open long gun carry is legal in Md.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Just sent this to the AG office:

Recently I was asked what a person should do with a firearm should they become homeless.Could you please tell me what their options are.This is in reference to a handgun only, since open long gun carry is legal in Md.
    Thank you!

OP -sorry about the thread hijack; however the answer was provided earlier. Mods- want to move the Off topic posts to a new thread "Homelessness and Handguns in MD"
    1x- thanks for the dialog.
    SRD- thanks for the AG inquiry.

you are the exception then. The other one was sent to a senator

Didn't open the other link you posted but assume it's the Kittleman response.If you don't ask,you'll never get answer.That is not directed towards you in any way,just a statement.When I asked about the enclosed holster/ case I never expected a response but the response I received was not what I expected either.IMO the opinion was better then what you/I would have assumed the answer would be.

bobbygege

Mar 5, 2014
    Thanks to all for your input.

The following sounds like it would be legal to carry on the grounds of my apartment complex.
    CARRYING AND TRANSPORTATION IN VEHICLES
    It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person. It is also unlawful for any person to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways, or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resides, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him.
    http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/maryland.aspx

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Consult an attorney that's versed in firearms laws/statutes, please.

Cause if you get it wrong, it's going to cost you.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Thanks to all for your input.

The following sounds like it would be legal to carry on the grounds of my apartment complex.
    CARRYING AND TRANSPORTATION IN VEHICLES
    It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person. It is also unlawful for any person to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways, or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resides, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him.
    http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/maryland.aspx

When you're home in your apartment(the property you're leasing), feel free to strap on a gun and carry to heart's content. In the common areas, you'll get busted. Theoretically, it's legal to carry a long gun for defense in md. If you're interested in being a test-case for something, that has a better shot.

bobbygege

Mar 5, 2014
    When you're home in your apartment(the property you're leasing), feel free to strap on a gun and carry to heart's content. In the common areas, you'll get busted. Theoretically, it's legal to carry a long gun for defense in md. If you're interested in being a test-case for something, that has a better shot.

My mailbox is in the lobby.
    Does this mean leaving my apartment to get my mail with a handgun strapped on is illegal?

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere

Does this mean leaving my apartment to get my mail with a handgun strapped on is illegal?

If it is a common area where other tenants can gain access and there is no agreement between you and the management company to allow you to carry a firearm, it would be ill advised for you to do so, therefore illegal. I'm not a lawyer.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

So are other resident's mailboxes in the lobby. That's a common area. You don't pay to have exclusive rights there. Other people use it too. So in effect, it's a public place not your residence. Your apt/residence is a small portion on that community land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom