Carrying a handgun on apartment property?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobbygege

Mar 5, 2014
    I think the answer to my question is "yes", but I'm not certain.

Without a CCW, can you legally carry a handgun in the lobby and/or on the grounds of your apartment complex?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Common grounds, betting no.

But if your willing to risk a few 4-203 charges, then by all means.

BTW - 4-203 charges carry a 3 year sentence, and are disqualifying misdemeanors (state/federal level).

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    yes you can carry a handgun in your apt complex in a case or enclosed holster unloaded to your car to the range (or approved by regs).. thats about it :)

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Fuel- meet fire!

The part about all these laws (preaching to the choir) that amazes me- what about those individuals that fall in to the category of "no fixed address". I read the moco police blotter on a regular basis and many of those arrested are of "no fixed address". Now when does having an address become a requirement to own a firearm? If one has no fixed address (mental problems aside) and otherwise is legal to possess/own a firearm how can they be restricted to what does not exist?

And yes- the OP has been covered ad nauseum here about public common areas/apartments etc- not in this state if your a unconnected, non business owner, or have been raped two or more times... If that is even a qualifier anymore.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Fuel- meet fire!

The part about all these laws (preaching to the choir) that amazes me- what about those individuals that fall in to the category of "no fixed address". I read the moco police blotter on a regular basis and many of those arrested are of "no fixed address". Now when does having an address become a requirement to own a firearm? If one has no fixed address (mental problems aside) and otherwise is legal to possess/own a firearm how can they be restricted to what does not exist?

And yes- the OP has been covered ad nauseum here about public common areas/apartments etc- not in this state if your a unconnected, non business owner, or have been raped two or more times... If that is even a qualifier anymore.

it shouldnt be...

unless the said offender did something else. on a run some sort.
    no drivers license... no proof of billing address.etc

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    it shouldnt be...

unless the said offender did something else. on a run some sort.
    no drivers license... no proof of billing address.etc
    Assuming they are not mentally deficient, and no priors- how would they ever be in violation of a wear/carry prohibition 4-203(?) violation if "everywhere is home"?

Grasping for straws...

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Assuming they are not mentally deficient, and no priors- how would they ever be in violation of a wear/carry prohibition 4-203(?) violation if "everywhere is home"?

Grasping for straws...

without knowing the full details its hard to say what law they broke.

link an example. what are the charges etc.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    without knowing the full details its hard to say what law they broke.

link an example. what are the charges etc.
    No example to give- no charges to reference. The laws in MD effectively prohibit handgun ownership if a individual does not have a "residence". How can a individual only possess a handgun legally if a) in their home/residence, or b) while unloaded in transport between home and range, business, or gun store/smith. If one has no home, they would not be perpetually going to a gun store or range and are always in a "common area". Obviously the obligatory school/gov building, etc would be an exception- but the laws effectively limit lawful handgun ownership to individuals who have a residence.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    No example to give- no charges to reference. The laws in MD effectively prohibit handgun ownership if a individual does not have a "residence". How can a individual only possess a handgun legally if a) in their home/residence, or b) while unloaded in transport between home and range, business, or gun store/smith. If one has no home, they would not be perpetually going to a gun store or range and are always in a "common area". Obviously the obligatory school/gov building, etc would be an exception- but the laws effectively limit lawful handgun ownership to individuals who have a residence.
    home doesnt need to be your own.

let say...i still live in my mothers basement.. i dont pay rent...my name is not on the deed etc.

that house is considered my residence as long i can prove it (via dl or id or bills).

if that make sense.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    home doesnt need to be your own.

let say...i still live in my mothers basement.. i dont pay rent...my name is not on the deed etc.

that house is considered my residence as long i can prove it (via dl or id or bills).

if that make sense.
    Correct- but you would have a "fixed address". I believe squatters law is something like thirty days then one has to be evicted via the courts. That is not who I'm trying to describe.

The point I'm trying to make is an individual that has no address- moved out of their apartment at the end of the lease, sold all their furniture and decided to live out of a shopping cart. Left on good terms but prefers to not have a address. This individual has never been in trouble with the law, is mentally sound, average intelligence, is a legal us citizen, pays taxes, has a job (let's say garbage man - to avoid the "stink" arguments), yet he would prefer to live without an address, mobile, all his possessions fit in a duffel bag. With out having a home, and he's not the business owner, how can he own/possess a handgun in MD with out constantly being in violation of the wear/carry restrictions.

Edit: a shopping cart that was lawfully purchased- just in case.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    What are the apt complex's rules? It's private property so they decide what you can do. I'd guess they won't approve no matter what MD law might say.

IANAL.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Correct- but you would have a "fixed address". I believe squatters law is something like thirty days then one has to be evicted via the courts.

The point I'm trying to make is an individual that has no address- moved out of their apartment at the end of the lease, sold all their furniture and decided to live out of a shopping cart. Left on good terms but prefers to not have a address. This individual has never been in trouble with the law, is mentally sound, average intelligence, is a legal us citizen, pays taxes, has a job (let's say garbage man - to avoid the "stink" arguments), yet he would prefer to live without an address, mobile, all his possessions fit in a duffel bag. With out having a home, and he's not the business owner, how can he own/possess a handgun in MD with out constantly being in violation of the wear/carry restrictions.

no way it will be kosher for the said person to be living in his car with a handgun period.

sucks but thats reality as far as i know.

only thing to make it legal is store the gun at friend or family house while the person is at work.

state doesnt prohibit that person owning a gun... may have issue about storage or buying a gun.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    no way it will be kosher for the said person to be living in his car with a handgun period.

sucks but thats reality as far as i know.

only thing to make it legal is store the gun at friend or family house while the person is at work.
    No car, no friends, no family. Just one guy, with no priors, no home (shopping cart/duffel bag) and in Maryland apparently no equal protection or 2a rights.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    No car, no friends. Just one guy, with no priors, no home (shopping cart/duffel bag) and in Maryland apparently no equal protection or 2a rights.

they have protection and full rights. but if they cant follow the md law they cant exercise it.

it sucks.. we have constitutional rights.. but to certain extent. welcome to md.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom