Carrying a handgun on apartment property?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Then again, maybe you missed my first sentence too. That's where I said I do have a permit. Now stop posting until the beer wears off.

Why would you do anything other than wear concealed? You are confusing things.

To have a permit and wear it "in such a way that causes others concern" is how?
    I am just having an issue with you saying it is ok to wear open if you have a permit. I have lived here a very long time. Never have I seen anyone wear a pistol open who did not have a police badge next to their holster or around their neck.
    That's is why I said to wear a pistol open even with a permit and report back to us how it works out.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    You missed the entire point of my post which was the fact that you proclaimed that a permit requires you to carry concealed (post #40)when in fact it does not. You can't tell me that you've never seen an armored guard wearing openly, without a police badge. He's not indiscriminately carrying on a way to cause concern. That's where the part about causing undue concern kicks in. I don't loose a lot of sleep worrying about weather someone catches a peek either since my pants aren't down around my ass, my Jordan's aren't untied and my foety isn't tucked in my ball sack. Umm in post #53 you were responding to me.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You missed the entire point of my post which was the fact that you proclaimed that a permit requires you to carry concealed (post #40)when in fact it does not. You can't tell me that you've never seen an armored guard wearing openly, without a police badge. He's not indiscriminately carrying on a way to cause concern. That's where the part about causing undue concern kicks in. I don't loose a lot of sleep worrying about weather someone catches a peek either since my pants aren't down around my ass, my Jordan's aren't untied and my foety isn't tucked in my ball sack. Umm in post #53 you were responding to me.

Look. You have a CCW permit for which you have GnS or do you? You say one can carry openly with it. Why don't you? Since it is not stated one may not carry openly.

You do know armed guard/security/private investigator permits are different, right? A uniformed ATM guy does not cause alarm because he is working in uniform as part of his job.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    You're semi getting it but now you're making exceptions for groups that you deem to be OK with not concealing. My point is still they you state a requirement that does not exist , but you won't admit the facts because you just might be wrong for once. Look, I for one don't agree with open carry because it takes away my advantage and could very well make me a target for a sneak attack so I don't do it except maybe I'm in the truck when I remove my coat in the winter and I font think a well dressed, person acting on a normal manner is any more disconcerting than a guard wearing a uniform shirt.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You're semi getting it but now you're making exceptions for groups that you deem to be OK with not concealing. My point is still they you state a requirement that does not exist , but you won't admit the facts because you just might be wrong for once. Look, I for one don't agree with open carry because it takes away advantage and could very well make me a target for a sneak attack so I don't do it except maybe I'm the truck when I robe my boat in the winter.

Poll everyone here who has a CCW permit and ask them if it would be wise to carry openly. I am not questioning you the pros and cons of open carry.
    It's a very fine line (since it is not stated yea or nay) to carry open when one has a CCW permit. THUS, they err on the side of caution and DON'T.

Oh yeah. I'll admit I am wrong by saying it does not say a CCW permit holder cannot carry open but in the same breath say it would be pretty damn stupid for someone to try and challenge it. But you seem to think otherwise and so that's why I asked why don't you do it if it is "ok"? But you can't answer that for some reason.
    This poor guy started a thread about being able to carry down to his apartment lobby/common area.

The simple and safe answer about carrying (if you have a concealed carry permit) is to carry concealed and not openly and be a test case to challenge exactly what you are chiding me about.
    Do you have a CCW permit or an armed guard license?

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Again , your response to him should have been along the line of "with a permit it'd wise to conceal if you carry out of your apt' buy instead, you stated something as fact that is not. Pure and simple. I never said anything about it not being stupid or challenging it so don't go nor did I say it was OK. I only stated what the facts are.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Again , your response to him should have been along the line of "with a permit it'd wise to conceal if you carry out of your apt' buy instead, you stated something SD fact that is not. Pure and simple. O never said anything g about it not being stupid so don't go nor did I say it was OK. I only stated what the facts are.

HE DOESN'T HAVE A PERMIT. He wanted to know if he could carry a fcking gun down to the lobby/mailbox/common areas of the apartment grounds.

NO.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Why would I state "IF you had a permit you can carry" when the topic was WITHOUT a CCW?
    Drink some more beer with those crabs and the permit you do not have.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You need a permit to carry a pistol concealed in Md when off of the property that you own.

You cannot walk outside of an apartment you lease with any pistol if you do not have a permit. It has to be concealed if you do have a permit.

Does NOT have to be concealed if you have a permit. Its a Permit to carry a Firearm. Concealed is not mentioned except in a letter from MSP when you receive the permit staying that you may have problems if you wear the handgun in a way that causes concern to other citizens.

I said this because MD does not have an OPEN CARRY permit. He asked about a gun being CONCEALED, without a permit.
    Unlike you, I am not a lawyer and am going to tell someone if they have a CCW permit that because even though it doesn't say anything to the contrary, that one MAY carry open while in possession of a CCW permit.

You on the other hand just went ahead and told him he could.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    And Maryland also does not have a Concealed Carry Permit. MD only issues a "Permit to Carry a Handgun" permit. If you have no knowledge of this basic fact then maybe you should stop giving advise on the subject. And NO I am not a lawyer and never said I was, so please don't go down that road.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    And Maryland also does not have a Concealed Carry Permit. MD only issues a "Permit to Carry a Handgun" permit. If you have no knowledge of this basic fact then maybe you should stop giving advise on the subject. And NO I am not a lawyer and never said I was, so please don't go down that road.

So, why don't we see people who have them oc ing? Those with a wear and carry permit.
    If you want to get into stupid semantics now.
    What permit do you have?
    That's what I thought.

Telling someone with a permit that's it's best to not oc because it isn't very clear, is hardly bad advice that could get someone into trouble with the law.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I told you , there's only one permit and that is the one I have for MD. I also have PA, FL, and UT.
    I never said your advise was not good. I only said that putting out out there as a requirement was not factual.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Md permits are permits to carry, open or concealed.

HOWEVER, there is a letter you receive with your permit that states if you cause the public undo apprehended danger that they may revoke your permit.

In other words, the average business owner who has a permit like myself, would be rolling the dice by carrying it openly. If a citizen became alarmed seeing me with a gun and called the police, the police would say I was causing the public undo apprehended danger and take my permit from me. As long as you are not brandishing a weapon you will not be arrested. You will just lose your permit.

Remember, in Maryland carrying a gun is a privilege not a right :(

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I tried to explain this starting g waaaay back in the thread but apparently you and I don't know what were talking about.;)

Look. Yes, there is only 1 permit issued, the wear and carry permit. This permit covers several different classifications.

Private Detective/Security Guard/Special Police/Armored Car Guards.
    Former police officers
    Corrections officers
    personal protection.
    Owner or employee of a business.

Which one are you covered under?
    You make it sound like if you have one, you can use it for everything.
    Again, you want to go into saying that one issued for personal protection doesn't state concealed carry only. Of course it doesn't and never will.

By you telling someone that it does not say you CANNOT carry openly, you are eluding to that it is ok and it has been discussed and argued ad infinitum that it is more or less going to cause public concern and get one hemmed up.

But ok, you win. NO, it does not state that it must be concealed carry only. Make ya feel good now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom