• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I "get it" with this and other arguments as to why we should have rights recognized. I suppose the "because it is a right you're denying us" argument just will not fly in Maryland.

I just don't like the "why do you need a gun" question. I don't need data on crime and reduction of it where guns are present. It's irrelevant. Because it's a RIGHT! Period.

Rant over.

I don't NEED a gun. It's MY RIGHT to HAVE one.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    The two guys who gutted the original bill were:
    1. Brian Frosh
    2. Papa Joe Vallario

I have no doubt that the noise we raised encouraged some of those changes, but, realistically, it wasn't our side that was driving it. Progress in a court case is always two weeks away; progress in the legislature always seems to be two years away. It gets tiring after a while.

Frosh gutted the bill? Did I miss something? It seemed it was entirely the work of gun owners and what the HJC (Vallario and friends) were willing to let go.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Was told No 2A bills were getting out of the House judiciary this year. The delegate is a judiciary member.

Vallario is desk drawering them.

Sounds like Vallario is holding them hostage for something he or the leadership wants. Or the votes aren't there to move them.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I'd have to think this is Mike and Mike refusing to allow any movement, because they're worried they might actually lose ground.

I would concur. Mike is normally interested in being best friends with whomever occupies the governor's mansion. The dems seem to have made a calculated decision to stonewall using the state of the state speech as an excuse.

King Mike is a weather vane. One minute he is sending letters about supporting gun rights the next he is jumping up and down for O'Malley's gun ban.

Remember how much left wing flak he caught for slots? Can't give Ehrlich the win but if O'Malley wants it hey sure why not.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I think the Mikes are in for some consternation...

Whoops. Thought you meant Mike Miller not Busch. House side Mike Busch. Yeah he sucks. Not much more to say there.

Maybe we need a true friend of gun owners like Casper Taylor back in there. He was one of those 'reasonable' types from a conservative area who always happened to support any Glendening gun grab. But hey he was from western Maryland so gun owners must be OK with it....

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Gets a little old doesn't it?

I am not a fan of the game but if they want something in return, the question is what and what it's worth to Hogan. If it is on 'principle' with them and the votes aren't there, well that's that.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Did you see the bill as it started? It was far worse than where it ended. And it was close to not becoming law. Almost did not get out of the committee

Might have been better if no changes were made and it died in committee. Granted, the politicians that wanted something passed agreed to the changes so they could get the votes to pass it. The AR-15 was almost taken off the list. Dumais had hinted that they were thinking about taking it off the list, and then O'Malley strong armed Vallario and others to keep it on the list.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Long past time for "Desk Drawer Joe" to go but Dumais will be no friend of ours. I still can't get past the picture of Joe V strong arming delegates to change their votes on a True Anti Crime bill that had passed.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Long past time for "Desk Drawer Joe" to go but Dumais will be no friend of ours. I still can't get past the picture of Joe V strong arming delegates to change their votes on a True Anti Crime bill that had passed.

Joe is/was just following orders.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Frosh gutted the bill? Did I miss something?
    You did. Frosh submitted the bill, and then performed surgery on it right there in his committee. IIRC, it went from one feature to two feature, thumbhole stocks got removed as a banned feature, and the infamous transportation clause got clarified to not be horrible. It was something of a surprise to everyone at the time, believe me.

Mr H

Banana'd
    You did. Frosh submitted the bill, and then performed surgery on it right there in his committee. IIRC, it went from one feature to two feature, thumbhole stocks got removed as a banned feature, and the infamous transportation clause got clarified to not be horrible. It was something of a surprise to everyone at the time, believe me.

Frankly, you are missing far too much of what actually happened to cover here.

In short, the changes were made because of pressure from the People writing and calling, the .orgs, and folks showing up in huge numbers.

If it had been up to Frosh, the bill would have been far worse.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You want to call me out? Two can play that game.

Frankly, you are missing far too much of what actually happened to cover here.
    That's your usual MO, isn't it? Claim that you've got secret squirrel knowledge that none of the rest of us have, and therefore we're wrong because only you know the truth. I know I'm not the only person on this board who's getting tired of your "I always know the real story" BS, mostly because you've never once revealed "the real story".

By all means, cover "what actually happened" here, because I think you have no idea what you're talking about. You're going to spout off some rah-rah crap about the protests, the emails, the testimony, whatever. It'll make everyone feel good, but it will be obscuring the truth of the simple fact that our enemies were the ones who changed that bill on their own terms for their own reasons, and were at best indirectly influenced by MSI's campaign against the bill.

In short, the changes were made because of pressure from the People writing and calling, the .orgs, and folks showing up in huge numbers.
    Never said otherwise. I am saying that Frosh himself gutted that bill to start with, and do you think he personally cared about all of those protests, beyond what was going to be necessary to pass it. And that's the key here: the changes were made to pass it, not to kill it. That's not us being in the driver's seat, that's us being the poor bastards in the back getting taken along for the ride.

MAKING A LOT OF NOISE IS NOT THE SAME AS MAKING A LOT OF PROGRESS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom