• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Id start at the begining and start pouring boiling water down the bore and gas tube area, incl the actual gas tube. minimize contact with water and the wood on the gas tube.

This has always worked for me even with the most cosmo covered rifles. I do add some heavy duty degreaser which seems to help. I use the Zep Citrus stuff so the house smells nice. :) I also use one of my two sonic cleaners from Harbor Freight for all metal stuff. Works like a top. Boiling water, degreaser and it's clean in no time. Then dry, hit the stuff with a WD oil and air dry. Reassemble with normal lube, etc. and good to go. Barreled Receivers, etc. I put in a fiberglass tank ($25) and do the hot water/degreaser thing in it.

In one of my 56's my gas piston (not the small 'extension' installed under the rear sight) was badly corroded around the large gas seal area. I had to chuck it in a cordless drill and light hit it with emery cloth with oil (a few revolutions per time) until it would even go into the tube more than a 1/16th of an inch let alone move at all. Works good now.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I just got a text message from UPS saying my SKS will be delivered tomorrow. I ordered it Friday the 19th and never heard anything from Wideners.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    I just got a text message from UPS saying my SKS will be delivered tomorrow. I ordered it Friday the 19th and never heard anything from Wideners.

Same here.... I cked my order status online last night and it was still showing received/processing. Guess their shipping department is getting them out faster then their online system is updating. Can't wait to add another SKS to the family!

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Same here.... I cked my order status online last night and it was still showing received/processing. Guess their shipping department is getting them out faster then their online system is updating. Can't wait to add another SKS to the family!

Their order status thing never updates. The CZ82 I ordered a few months ago still says processing. I think they're trying to get the orders out so fast that they don't even bother sending out the "order shipped" emails.

CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    Id start at the begining and start pouring boiling water down the bore and gas tube area, incl the actual gas tube. minimize contact with water and the wood on the gas tube.

Funneled some boiling water through it the other night and a little more crap came out after doing that. I'll see if that works this weekend.

Ok. Here's what I found in mine. Push a cleaning swab though the gas tube with the gas piston and watch about 3 inches of cosmo come out.

Hit the gas tube and the barrel with Carb cleaner (Gumout) to really clean it up.

Hope that helps...

It looks clean after pouring boiling water through it, but I'll give that a try tonight. I noticed that the piston still sticks to the bottom of the gas tube. Not sure if that is normal or not.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    No. Keep cleaning. There's still crud or corrosion down there. When you have it clean, go to the auto parts store and get a tube of anti-seize. Put a little of the on the piston. A little goes a long way, so don't goop it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom