• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I know conceal means conceal, but I did notice Sam's Club in Annapolis had a notice on their entrance stating no open carry, so....conceal is ok.
    Signs hold no force of law in Maryland. They can ask you to leave which could happen if open carrying or for any other reason they want.

Retail establishments, malls are not prohibited places to carry by statue which is all that matters.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    My favorite indoor range has a no CCW sign. It annoys me …
    This is quite common at most ranges. They, generally, have this rule to avoid unholstering ND’s by customers of unknown proficiency. Basically, it has to do with safety, not the CC aspect, itself. You can simply reholster as soon as you walk out the door.

Right before I enter the range, I unholster my firearm, unload it, then put in my range case. I leave my holster on. As soon as I exit the range, I insert my carry mag and holster it.

Last edited:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Yes, and this is why I am careful about the "concealed is concealed" mentality. People seem to ignore the possibility of being banned.

If it is someplace I don't mind being banned from if I am found out, I'll carry (since the signs don't carry the force of law). I live within easy biking distance of my local mall, and on a good day I could walk. I'd rather not be banned. However, there are quite a few in the general area, and I do most of my shopping online these days anyway, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I print or my shirt rides up and I'm banned. A specialty shop that mattered to me to have access, I might not carry.

My favorite indoor range has a no CCW sign. It annoys me, I wish they didn't, but it is a great range, huge place, lots of amenities, they do online appointments so I won't have to wait forever for a lane, I do not want to be banned from the premises. So, I don't carry when I go there so I don't take that risk. Now, if I decide I like another one better that is close/convenient enough to where I live that I don't care if I'm banned, I may change my mind and start carrying when there. Not carrying when leaving a gun range, with bags in tow, has always made me nervous. Anyone with criminal intent could easily stake out the place, pretty much know anyone leaving with a backpack or range bag probably has (highly desirable) guns and rob you. This was one of the times pre-Bruen that I most strongly considered breaking the law and carrying (though I never did, relying on pepper spray and a knife if something happened), so if I find a range that is close and that I like nearly as much, I'll do the "concealed means concealed" thing there, but not until I find a potential replacement.

Anyway, people seem to discount the signs and tresspassing potential. I do weigh it pretty seriously in deciding if I will carry someplace that is posted. Of course, most do fall in the category of "concealed means concealed" since there aren't many businesses that are irreplaceable for me (a couple ranges and gun shops, a few restaurants, a couple bookshops, and most of them aren't posted).
    TL/DR

Does this range have metal detectors?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Yes, and this is why I am careful about the "concealed is concealed" mentality. People seem to ignore the possibility of being banned.

If it is someplace I don't mind being banned from if I am found out, I'll carry (since the signs don't carry the force of law). I live within easy biking distance of my local mall, and on a good day I could walk. I'd rather not be banned. However, there are quite a few in the general area, and I do most of my shopping online these days anyway, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I print or my shirt rides up and I'm banned. A specialty shop that mattered to me to have access, I might not carry.

My favorite indoor range has a no CCW sign. It annoys me, I wish they didn't, but it is a great range, huge place, lots of amenities, they do online appointments so I won't have to wait forever for a lane, I do not want to be banned from the premises. So, I don't carry when I go there so I don't take that risk. Now, if I decide I like another one better that is close/convenient enough to where I live that I don't care if I'm banned, I may change my mind and start carrying when there. Not carrying when leaving a gun range, with bags in tow, has always made me nervous. Anyone with criminal intent could easily stake out the place, pretty much know anyone leaving with a backpack or range bag probably has (highly desirable) guns and rob you. This was one of the times pre-Bruen that I most strongly considered breaking the law and carrying (though I never did, relying on pepper spray and a knife if something happened), so if I find a range that is close and that I like nearly as much, I'll do the "concealed means concealed" thing there, but not until I find a potential replacement.

Anyway, people seem to discount the signs and tresspassing potential. I do weigh it pretty seriously in deciding if I will carry someplace that is posted. Of course, most do fall in the category of "concealed means concealed" since there aren't many businesses that are irreplaceable for me (a couple ranges and gun shops, a few restaurants, a couple bookshops, and most of them aren't posted).
    Because the potential is extraordinarily small. If I’m in a business that finds out I’m carrying (not sure how they’d even find out) and asks me to leave, I leave and wouldn’t come back. Plenty of other stores around. You’re not going to get charged with trespassing unless you don’t leave. Even if a business puts your name on a list, they most likely wouldn’t even remember you the next time unless you’re a total assh*le.
    People overthink this stuff to death.
    BGOS is rampant.

iResq

Dec 27, 2022
    Severn
    Welcome from the Eastern Shore! Here’s a link if you want to support MDS.

Along the same lines, support MSI as well.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    Because the potential is extraordinarily small. If I’m in a business that finds out I’m carrying (not sure how they’d even find out) and asks me to leave, I leave and wouldn’t come back. Plenty of other stores around. You’re not going to get charged with trespassing unless you don’t leave. Even if a business puts your name on a list, they most likely wouldn’t even remember you the next time unless you’re a total assh*le.
    People overthink this stuff to death.
    BGOS is rampant.
    I'm not worried about being charged with trespassing, being trespassed is being told not to come back or you will be trespassing. If you refuse to leave or if you come back, then you are trespassing. I wouldn't count on them not remembering you when a criminal charge could result if you come back, so I would never come back. If they take your name and picture, they may remember you no matter how polite you are. When I was a teen in the '80s, the Columbia Mall was quick to kick out teens because of the "Mall Rats" and you didn't have to be a "Mall Rat" to be caught up in their overzealous enforcement. I was told to leave and threatened with banning for eating in the food court at 19 while in my Class A uniform when home from Army Basic Training. Was I being an AH, nope, just eating and talking with friends who were also eating (we were too young to hang out in bars, and too poor to go to a regular restaurant every time we wanted to eat and talk). When one of those friends came back a few days later, they were recognized and kicked out for returning (even though they hadn't been banned in the initial encounter and even though we were polite the entire time). While I had questioned them kicking out paying customers one of whom was in uniform, I did so respectfully and with all the "sirs" and other respectful language I had just had drummed into me in Basic Training, not in a disrespectful or argumentative manner. Anyway, with gun ranges, they use your name when you reserve a lane so if they take your name to ban you they don't have to recognize you if you try to come back later.

Also, like you say, If I'm carrying and asked to leave, I won't come back. I only care when at a business that I will want to come back to. A local mall may be a little inconvenient (I may have to drive 20-30min instead of 5min), a chain restaurant location may not be a big deal. But, a range I like, an independent shop or restaurant I like without a good alternative, and a very small number of other places that would be hard to replace, there I'm much more careful about looking for signs and not carrying if they are posted. There aren't many places on that list, mainly just a range and a gun store or two, but I am on the lookout at certain restaurants and shops (luckily, so far, most of the places where I would honor their sign if they were posted, aren't posted).

TL/DR

Does this range have metal detectors?
    No, but like I said in my initial post, I like this place (other than that rule) and don't want to be kicked out if I print or my shirt lifts up (unlikely, doesn't happen often, but it may only take once). I would assume also that gun range employees would be better attuned to printing than the general public (possibly not true, but more of them are likely gun people than in the general public).

Last edited:

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    This is quite common at most ranges. They, generally, have this rule to avoid unholstering ND’s by customers of unknown proficiency. Basically, it has to do with safety, not the CC aspect, itself. You can simply reholster as soon as you walk out the door.

Right before I enter the range, I unholster my firearm, unload it, then put in my range case. I leave my holster on. As soon as I exit the range, I insert my carry mag and holster it.
    True, it isn't uncommon, but there are ranges that aren't posted. I know that On Target used to be. I haven't been to the Cindy's Hot Shots in Glen Burnie, and they haven't opened at the old On Target location yet, so I don't know if they are posted. I used to like to go to Continental Arms in Timonium quite a bit, but they are a bit too far from where I live now to be convenient. Last time there (about a month ago) I noticed that they are posted no loaded guns unless you have a W&C license and that you have to let them know if you have a W&C and are carrying. I don't know if they allow you to carry on the range, or if you have to unload before entering the range and they only allow carry while in the store. Most other ranges I know are either posted, or too far away for me to use more than once every 2 or 3 years so I didn't pay attention last time I was there (I didn't have my W&C so it didn't matter either way). Most gun stores do not seem to be posted (though some are), and it would probably be more dangerous there (theoretically anyway- live ammo and loaded guns where you are handling and dry firing unloaded guns vs. on the range where you are shooting loaded guns).

The range I like has the rule store-wide, it isn't just for safety on the range. If you are only using their store, they don't allow carry either. My understanding is that the owner/owners are ex-cops who don't really approve of "civilian" carry. (Edit: removed sentence, revised another... there is enough info that it may be easy to figure out what range I'm talking about and I don't want to risk getting anyone in trouble.)

I had been thinking about posting a thread asking what ranges do and do not allow carry, but ended up not doing so. Maybe I'll go ahead and post it.

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Things have become so damn complicated now. I’ve got to keep at least 6 guns in my car at all times just to make sure I’m prepared to protect myself.

When I see these signs, I’m good with my preferred semi-auto.
    216f843bf6f3305ff9f48a40eee3e5fa.jpg

Except this store really doesn’t like 1911’s so Colt Python is good, Glock 9, no problem.
    6e0f5d23acb022d5136d45341feb0d4b.jpg

The starbucks that is used to frequent was pretty chill then one day, they decided that anyone carrying a Desert Eagle was not getting a double chi latte.
    9483144d8abdc4435ed516952a30ad67.jpg

Most commie owned franchises will outright ban AR’s so keeping an AK in the truck is sometimes necessary.
    5e27f80a86d0f33059d389c4abff01ee.jpg

And for those less informed store owners who still believe the AK variety are the most deadly weapons among us, I’ve got my super duper AR pistol with the ATF approved wrap around arm velcro killy thingy.
    fc6ada5c0a8df2be1ee407add6de2cf4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iResq

Dec 27, 2022
    Severn
    I don't think Cindy's has a posted rule. I don't think they even looked in my range bag last time I was there. I can't recall about Freestate either, though the did check my bag.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Freestate is hit or miss. Depends on who’s behind the desk. I’ve been going there since they opened. Sometimes I get the full inspection and other times just a smile and nod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom