• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoRandoGo

Jan 20, 2023
    Kent Island
    Hello all! Thanks for the add. New wear and carry permit holder here. Does anyone know if Westfield Annapolis Mall restrict firearms on their premises? Been trying to learn what businesses do and do not. Thanks.

iResq

Dec 27, 2022
    Severn
    My understanding is that a private business can choose who to do business with and who to refuse business so long as it's not based on bias against a protected class of people. Getting a criminal charge for trespass is something different.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    My understanding is that a private business can choose who to do business with and who to refuse business so long as it's not based on bias against a protected class of people. Getting a criminal charge for trespass is something different.

To whom is this addressed?

If you leave, you're not trespassing

Has nothing to do with transacting business

iResq

Dec 27, 2022
    Severn

Rbird. Being trespassed and being charged with trespass are two different things. You can't be charged with trespass without first being trespassed.

If I go into Lowe's and start using profanity and saying Home Depot is better, Lowe's can trespass me from the premises if they don't want me to come back . This is not a charge. They don't have to let me back in. If I go back, I then can be charged with trespassing.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

This

ca18thc

Sep 7, 2013

Unless you are LGBTQ

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Rbird. Being trespassed and being charged with trespass are two different things. You can't be charged with trespass without first being trespassed.

If I go into Lowe's and start using profanity and saying Home Depot is better, Lowe's can trespass me from the premises if they don't want me to come back . This is not a charge. They don't have to let me back in. If I go back, I then can be charged with trespassing.

That's exactly what he said

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

I see where the confusion is arising from semantics .

Tresspassing is a crime . that has specific legal elements .

" Tresspassing " someone as a Verb is a shorthand expression sometimes used by LE or the Retail Industry . What that context means is " Give a formal notice from owner or other person of authority to a Person that they are requested to leave premesis , and ( usually) to not return .

IF said person so notified then does actually depart ( or not return if so notified) , then no crime is committed .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Unless you are LGBTQ

You still could ( give. Formal request to leave property ) to an LGBTQ person , just that it can't be Because they are LG B TQ (or other enumerated protected class characteristics ) .

Say that you are proprietor of ca18thc Donut . Gun , and Speedboat emporium , and you request a particular disorderly individual to leave .

They sue , alleging you did so solely because they were LG etc . Your defense is that was immaterial , you requested them to leave because they were smashing donuts onto your speedboats while give profanity laced rant that motorboats murder the environment , and cause cancer .

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!

That would require the business to go to court. Thats not likely to happen as long as you are not causing a disturbance or worse. Concealed means concealed.

GoRandoGo

Jan 20, 2023
    Kent Island
    I know conceal means conceal, but I did notice Sam's Club in Annapolis had a notice on their entrance stating no open carry, so....conceal is ok.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I see where the confusion is arising from semantics .

Tresspassing is a crime . that has specific legal elements .

" Tresspassing " someone as a Verb is a shorthand expression sometimes used by LE or the Retail Industry . What that context means is " Give a formal notice from owner or other person of authority to a Person that they are requested to leave premesis , and ( usually) to not return .

IF said person so notified then does actually depart ( or not return if so notified) , then no crime is committed .
    Yes, and this is why I am careful about the "concealed is concealed" mentality. People seem to ignore the possibility of being banned.

If it is someplace I don't mind being banned from if I am found out, I'll carry (since the signs don't carry the force of law). I live within easy biking distance of my local mall, and on a good day I could walk. I'd rather not be banned. However, there are quite a few in the general area, and I do most of my shopping online these days anyway, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I print or my shirt rides up and I'm banned. A specialty shop that mattered to me to have access, I might not carry.

My favorite indoor range has a no CCW sign. It annoys me, I wish they didn't, but it is a great range, huge place, lots of amenities, they do online appointments so I won't have to wait forever for a lane, I do not want to be banned from the premises. So, I don't carry when I go there so I don't take that risk. Now, if I decide I like another one better that is close/convenient enough to where I live that I don't care if I'm banned, I may change my mind and start carrying when there. Not carrying when leaving a gun range, with bags in tow, has always made me nervous. Anyone with criminal intent could easily stake out the place, pretty much know anyone leaving with a backpack or range bag probably has (highly desirable) guns and rob you. This was one of the times pre-Bruen that I most strongly considered breaking the law and carrying (though I never did, relying on pepper spray and a knife if something happened), so if I find a range that is close and that I like nearly as much, I'll do the "concealed means concealed" thing there, but not until I find a potential replacement.

Anyway, people seem to discount the signs and tresspassing potential. I do weigh it pretty seriously in deciding if I will carry someplace that is posted. Of course, most do fall in the category of "concealed means concealed" since there aren't many businesses that are irreplaceable for me (a couple ranges and gun shops, a few restaurants, a couple bookshops, and most of them aren't posted).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom