• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    I just had Clyde's Sport Shop in Halethorpe fax their FFL to a dealer in OH.

$50 transfer fee
    +$10 MD State Police paperwork
    +$20 chamber lock (they do not allow you to bring your own)
    +$15 if firearm does not come with a spent shell casing

WOW. They should be driven out of business. That's just wow.

Krinklesac

Mar 21, 2013
    That's just what we need - drive another full service family sporting goods store out of business because someone doesn't like a fee. Clydes has been an outstanding Baltimore area store for a great many years. They've
    provided great service on an individual basis for as long as I can remember. Far longer than corporate sporting goods stores. Should we make the effort to drive all businesses away because of a price?

spicedcrab

Feb 10, 2013
    the dealers have the control of their customers fee's, they will determine how much is best to charge, if they charge too much, their customers decrease, too low and they may not make enough to pay the bills. they will work out were it needs to be and in the long run it usually works out as being fair for the most part. (Not always though)

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I just had to pay $75 for an AR stripped receiver transfer fee. That price is up from what I paid 2 months ago. Anyone know who in the Baltimore area has the best prices?

All FFL as far as I can tell have raised there xfer fee. It is because of the noncompliance of the MSP. Many are simple out of space and having to either pay for more safes or are paying for off site storage. In both cases this cost money. Remember we may be getting upset that our hold times are 60 to 70 days right now and growing but they have to have a way to securely store them for 2 to 3 months vs 7 days before newton.

Thanks
    Robert

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Drive out 70 to Mt. Airy and see Lou at shooters discount. 41 first 25 for additional regulated.

Last time I talked to Lou, a couple of weeks ago, he was NOT doing any transfers do to lack of space.

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I agree about trying to keep smaller local businesses in business but, and this is a big but, increasing service fees because everyone wants to purchase before 10/1 is a negative way to run a business in my eyes.

While I understand that some businesses are having a storage problem, should the customer who is just supplying more business be punished by higher fees?

I know that the local businesses want you to purchase from them but if the firearm that the customer is looking for is not available locally, coupled with a short time between now and 10/1 makes it even tougher for someone on a budget to afford something before 10/1.

Reading the various posts, I see long term members who lament when a $1500 firearm used to go for $700, plus I see people selling new or used firearms for more than msrp because everyone wants to buy before 10/1.

I sure wish I started looking a lot sooner, I could have saved hundreds of dollars on the cost of the firearm and also saved on the fees.

--------------------------------------------

“When all other rights are taken away, the right of rebellion is made perfect.” – Thomas Paine, Dissertation on 1st Principles of Gov., 1795

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I agree about trying to keep smaller local businesses in business but, and this is a big but, increasing service fees because everyone wants to purchase before 10/1 is a negative way to run a business in my eyes.

Spend an hour at any FFL and you'll appreciate why. Lack of storage space is one big issue, plus added insurance costs for all that extra overhead. FFLs are also compensating for added customer service time. Fielding countless calls asking "is my XXX ready for pickup" adds to the actual cost to transfer a firearm. Some of these calls are from customers who are understandably upset and have to be calmed down, repeatedly. It's big drain on employees that could logging items or helping new customers.

I also empathize with FFLs who in many cases are going to lose their primary income after Oct 1. Many of them make their bread and butter on items which will be banned or more tightly regulated in a few months.

The situation sucks all around. I blame the MSP, MOM, and complicit politicians for causing this. FFLs are just caught in the crossfire.

LandinD

Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    This has been one of the biggest hangups for me in purchasing my next regulated firearm. Ive spent the past several months buying non-regulated so I wouldnt have to deal with a 2 month wait and possible transfer fees if I buy the firearm elsewhere. I am not finally looking at buying another regulated firearm since I wont be able to after oct 1 and most places Ive looked or visit regularly are out of space or have doubled their fees for transer. I paid 50 not long ago to transfer a 10/22 and thats not even regulated.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN

While I understand that some businesses are having a storage problem, should the customer who is just supplying more business be punished by higher fees?

I know that the local businesses want you to purchase from them but if the firearm that the customer is looking for is not available locally, coupled with a short time between now and 10/1 makes it even tougher for someone on a budget to afford something before 10/1.

Reading the various posts, I see long term members who lament when a $1500 firearm used to go for $700, plus I see people selling new or used firearms for more than msrp because everyone wants to buy before 10/1.

I sure wish I started looking a lot sooner, I could have saved hundreds of dollars on the cost of the firearm and also saved on the fees.

--------------------------------------------

“When all other rights are taken away, the right of rebellion is made perfect.” – Thomas Paine, Dissertation on 1st Principles of Gov., 1795

I don't agree with you. They aren't raising the fee to squeeze more money out of people. They are doing it because there expenses have gone up thanks to a government that isn't doing it job. We all pay for crappy government even when we don't realize it.

Thanks
    Robert

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I will concede that some of them have space issues, but the majority of them can't be that tight on space, which tells me that some are raising their fees to match other vendors and unfortunately, it is what the market will bear with the shear volume of people needing to use this service.
    I accept the fact that in a capitalist market, the law of supply and demand is fully in play right now.
    With that said, after the craziness subsides, how many customers will then stay away from businesses that raised their rates abnormally high?

It is very easy for a business (does not matter what kind) to lose a customer but very hard, if not impossible, to regain that customer once lost.

My other point is that the customers are being punished for being customers.
    It's kind of like the new law just enacted in VA that levies a tax on owners of hybrid cars since the state is losing gas taxes due to the low fuel usage of these cars. Is it fair for VA to levy this tax on someone because they were trying to be eco-friendly and to save money?

The end result, is that the end consumer usually gets the short end of the stick.

Brian
    ----------------------------------------

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials." — George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I don't agree with you. They aren't raising the fee to squeeze more money out of people. They are doing it because there expenses have gone up thanks to a government that isn't doing it job. We all pay for crappy government even when we don't realize it.

Nah, they are raising the fees because they CAN. If all the crying about them being short on space were true, what about the shops that haven't raised prices? Are they assumed to be going out of business any minute now?

I think not. These shops raised fees (for the exact same service) because their future is unknown and rather than be creative and think out of the box with their business they have seemingly decided it would be better to rape every single remaining customer for every penny they can (while they can).

It's pretty obvious really. :tdown:

Last edited:

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I've had numerous things sent to Baltimore's Best Pawn in Finksburg. When I went to do the paperwork on my M1A, they informed me the transfer fee was now $100+$10. There was some commentary on the fees and none related to their costs.

Last edited:

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Nah, they are raising the fees because the CAN. If all the crying about them being short on space were true, what about the shops that haven't raised prices? Are they assumed to be going out of business any minute now?

I think not. These shops raised fees (for the exact same service) because their future is unknown and rather than be creative and think out of the box with their business they have seemingly decided it would be better to rape every single remaining customer for every penny they can (while they can).

:thumbsup: Lack of inventory and or greed - Plus they can legally release firearm after 8 days if no response from MSP, but choose not to.

TheSPkid

Sep 24, 2008
    Severna Park
    Nah, they are raising the fees because the CAN. If all the crying about them being short on space were true, what about the shops that haven't raised prices? Are they assumed to be going out of business any minute now?

+1.

manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    FFLs are also compensating for added customer service time. Fielding countless calls asking "is my XXX ready for pickup" adds to the actual cost to transfer a firearm. Some of these calls are from customers who are understandably upset and have to be calmed down, repeatedly. It's big drain on employees that could logging items or helping new customers.
    A lot of good points here, but this is one is where I blame the customer. Everyone knows the situation, and it's not the dealer's fault. My paperwork has been submitted, and I am waiting for them to call me when it is ready for pickup. I am not counting the days. If you want a good relationship with your FFL, you need to treat them right too.

Apr 27, 2010
    My transfer fees are $50 for regulated and $30 for non regulated. I am located in Havre de Grace and am more then willing to do transfers. Feel free to give us a call. Thanks. 443-617-4277.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom