• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tunasalad

Aug 27, 2013
    Hi,

I'm trying to get back into shooting. I have no idea how anything works. Better safe, right?

I had a 10/22 in California ten years ago. That required an FFL and a 10-day waiting period.

I'm looking to buy my friend's Saiga .308. Just want to cover my bases.

Sorry if this isn't the right place for these questions.

1. Is a Saiga .308 an unregulated gun? Is there a list I can check? No FFL? No waiting period? No papers? Can I just hand my friend some cash and drive off with the gun?

2. Speaking of driving off with the gun, what are the transportation restrictions? Locked box in the trunk? What about pickup trucks (no lockbox in bed)?

3. Can I transport a loaded magazine?

4. What are the restrictions on magazines? Can I grab some 20-round magazines? 24-round magazines? Can I buy a 24-round magazine in VA then drive home to MD? Will this change in October?

5. Know a good outdoor range? I'm in central MD but I'm willing to drive.

6. What's happening in October?

Thanks guys! I appreciate any info you can give me, even if it's just "go ask over there."

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Hi,

I'm trying to get back into shooting. I have no idea how anything works. Better safe, right?

I had a 10/22 in California ten years ago. That required an FFL and a 10-day waiting period.

I'm looking to buy my friend's Saiga .308. Just want to cover my bases.

Sorry if this isn't the right place for these questions.

1. Is a Saiga .308 an unregulated gun? Is there a list I can check? No FFL? No waiting period? No papers? Can I just hand my friend some cash and drive off with the gun?

2. Speaking of driving off with the gun, what are the transportation restrictions? Locked box in the trunk? What about pickup trucks (no lockbox in bed)?

3. Can I transport a loaded magazine?

4. What are the restrictions on magazines? Can I grab some 20-round magazines? 24-round magazines? Can I buy a 24-round magazine in VA then drive home to MD? Will this change in October?

5. Know a good outdoor range? I'm in central MD but I'm willing to drive.

6. What's happening in October?

Thanks guys! I appreciate any info you can give me, even if it's just "go ask over there."

http://www.mdshooters.com/search.php

welcome to the forum :D

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 378

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Hidey Ho from SMIBville. Start with the entire MD2a forum. Then the Nat 2a forum. Well settle in with some sweet lemonade(official beverage) and get back to us when you finish those.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Welcome! You found us just in time. You have just one month to either buy soon-to-be-banned long guns, or at least get in purchase orders for them.

Is a Saiga .308 an unregulated gun?

I thought Siaga's were considered sporters.

I thought so too. I think unconverted Saigas are unregulated cash-and-carry, but I'm really not sure.

If it is Regulated, you and your friend can do the transfer at a State Police Barracks. Leave the gun in the trunk of the car, go in and tell them you want to do a transfer. Fee is $10, check only, no cash.

Unregulated long guns require no paperwork, though most of us recommend checking ID and writing a bill of sale. It's good for both parties to keep a record of such matters.

what are the transportation restrictions?

Any long gun, Regulated or not, can be transported pretty much without restriction, as long as it's unloaded. It is not required to be locked up or even really inaccessible. I sometimes carry rifles for days on end back and forth to work, in case I get a chance to stop at the range after work. I drove around most of last week with a Regulated M1A in my truck. Of course I was discrete, the rifle was in a case stashed out of sight, the truck was locked, and no one knew about it. Yes, I could transport dead bodies under the same conditions, and just because I didn't get arrested doesn't make it legal. But under the law: rifle transport, legal. Dead body transport, illegal.

Handguns need to be in a case or "enclosed holster" and unloaded. No mention of locks. There are restrictions on destinations: place of sale, gunsmith, formal or informal target practice, dog obedience training, etc. The law does not require direct to-and-from travel, nor does the law forbid stops or side trips.

In any case, the burden is on you to prove you're not transporting illegally. The policeman is entirely within his rights to make the arrest and let you argue the legalities in court. Welcome to Maryland. Keep the guns out of sight, cased, ammo separate.

Can I transport a loaded magazine?

Yes. If you search, you may find the Attorney General's letter supporting that posted on this forum somewhere. It may be prudent to unload them anyway. I usually don't, but since you can transport dead bodies in your trunk as long as you don't get caught, that doesn't prove anything.

Can I buy a 24-round magazine in VA then drive home to MD? Will this change in October?

Yes. No. The law only bans transferring ownership or manufacturing within the state. You may legally buy 30 rounders out of state and bring them back for personal use. You can take them to the range and use them. The only change under the new law is from 20 rounds to ten. You can buy 20 rounders here today, but in October, you'll have to get them out of state. Get your online orders in now, but don't lose sleep over it.

Know a good outdoor range?

The best range is the AGC on Marriottsville Road. http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/ You join any one of the Associated Clubs ($10 to $50 per year), then buy a range badge, $150 November through January (14 months) or $75 July through January (7 months). Open 364 days a year, never any waiting to shoot. 100 yard range with 100 positions, 50 yard pistol range with 50 positions, 200 yard rifle range with about 12 positions. Trap. Archery. Indoor air pistols. Never a wait, shoot all day.

Hap Baker at the Carroll County landfill, pay-per-visit (membership available). Rifle and pistol. Limited positions.

There are others, Cresap near Frederick, Elk Neck, etc. Also many private clubs have activities open to non-members for a small range fee. TCSC has good ones, York IWLA, Delta Peach Bottom, Anne Arundel F&G, etc.

What's happening in October?

A crime-free Paradise on Earth will emerge right here in O'Malleyland.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    :wave: Greetings!
    You'll find all your answers somewhere here! As previously suggested, MD 2A forum and the National 2A are great places to start.

Colonel129

Aug 15, 2013
    Baltimore City
    Welcome! You found us just in time. You have just one month to either buy soon-to-be-banned long guns, or at least get in purchase orders for them.

I thought so too. I think unconverted Saigas are unregulated cash-and-carry, but I'm really not sure.

If it is Regulated, you and your friend can do the transfer at a State Police Barracks. Leave the gun in the trunk of the car, go in and tell them you want to do a transfer. Fee is $10, check only, no cash.

Unregulated long guns require no paperwork, though most of us recommend checking ID and writing a bill of sale. It's good for both parties to keep a record of such matters.

Any long gun, Regulated or not, can be transported pretty much without restriction, as long as it's unloaded. It is not required to be locked up or even really inaccessible. I sometimes carry rifles for days on end back and forth to work, in case I get a chance to stop at the range after work. I drove around most of last week with a Regulated M1A in my truck. Of course I was discrete, the rifle was in a case stashed out of sight, the truck was locked, and no one knew about it. Yes, I could transport dead bodies under the same conditions, and just because I didn't get arrested doesn't make it legal. But under the law: rifle transport, legal. Dead body transport, illegal.

Handguns need to be in a case or "enclosed holster" and unloaded. No mention of locks. There are restrictions on destinations: place of sale, gunsmith, formal or informal target practice, dog obedience training, etc. The law does not require direct to-and-from travel, nor does the law forbid stops or side trips.

In any case, the burden is on you to prove you're not transporting illegally. The policeman is entirely within his rights to make the arrest and let you argue the legalities in court. Welcome to Maryland. Keep the guns out of sight, cased, ammo separate.

Yes. If you search, you may find the Attorney General's letter supporting that posted on this forum somewhere. It may be prudent to unload them anyway. I usually don't, but since you can transport dead bodies in your trunk as long as you don't get caught, that doesn't prove anything.

Yes. No. The law only bans transferring ownership or manufacturing within the state. You may legally buy 30 rounders out of state and bring them back for personal use. You can take them to the range and use them. The only change under the new law is from 20 rounds to ten. You can buy 20 rounders here today, but in October, you'll have to get them out of state. Get your online orders in now, but don't lose sleep over it.

The best range is the AGC on Marriottsville Road. http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/ You join any one of the Associated Clubs ($10 to $50 per year), then buy a range badge, $150 November through January (14 months) or $75 July through January (7 months). Open 364 days a year, never any waiting to shoot. 100 yard range with 100 positions, 50 yard pistol range with 50 positions, 200 yard rifle range with about 12 positions. Trap. Archery. Indoor air pistols. Never a wait, shoot all day.

Hap Baker at the Carroll County landfill, pay-per-visit (membership available). Rifle and pistol. Limited positions.

There are others, Cresap near Frederick, Elk Neck, etc. Also many private clubs have activities open to non-members for a small range fee. TCSC has good ones, York IWLA, Delta Peach Bottom, Anne Arundel F&G, etc.

A crime-free Paradise on Earth will emerge right here in O'Malleyland.

+1 for doing what you didn't have to :innocent0... I love forum members who help with information. Good man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom