• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Hi all. I'm an old guy...60 years old...who has been shooting for about 20 years now in Idaho and Oregon. I was a late bloomer but it would be fair to say that I am now something of a "gun nut" in that I simply love to own and shoot quality firearms.

But life has changed a little bit. Our first grandchild was born at the end of October and what do new grandparents do when that happens but think about moving to be closer to that new little person. He is pretty much irresistible to his grandmother and to me. So...we are considering moving to be closer to our kids in Annapolis.

However, owning quite a few firearms as I do, the thought of moving to Maryland scares the daylights out of me. i shoot pistols (lots of NRA bullseye and a little bit of IDPA but lots of self-defense "practice" on my own). I shoot a lot of sporting clays and five stand. And I own a number of rifles and am just learning to shoot them. In particularly I would love to learn some precision longer range rifle shooting...500 yards? 1000 yards? I would love to get any thoughts y'all might share with me about everything from the availability of places to shoot to the number of competitions around (bullseye, IDPA, three gun etc. etc.) to the realities of gun ownership in the state of Maryland. Perhaps even some insight into what parts of Maryland might be more to my liking. Or thoughts about nearby Pennsylvania or Virginia.

While I am perfectly legal to buy firearms and have done so through my local FFL many, many times, I also own a large number of guns purchased FTF. Did I say I own a LOT of guns. I don't relish the nightmare scenario of having to get permission from the state of Maryland to continue to own all of the guns that I currently own.

So if anyone can shed some light for me on all of those questions, I would really appreciate it. I apologize if I don't know or follow all the correct protocols but if anyone would like to respond to my personal e-mail address, I would love to have some "conversations" there. It is "boisepaw@gmail.com".

Or if I need to start a new thread to ask those questions more generally, perhaps someone can help me figure out how to do that.

Thanks in advance!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 378

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Welcome to the forum.

Honestly I would look at living in VA, DE, then PA...might be able to flip DE and PA.

Maryland taxes your retirement, taxes you to death in all other aspects, has a high cost of living, houses are expensive, gun laws are complicated to impossible to understand and it just sucks.

Depending on what you own and when you bought it you might not even be able to bring certain firearms into MD. Most of these firearms are sporting rifles like AR-15's and AK's but there are some exceptions.

One word of advice is to make sure your children aren't moving anytime soon. Would suck to up and move to get close to them only to have them go somewhere else.

Stay away from MD.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Welcome to the forum.

Honestly I would look at living in VA, DE, then PA...might be able to flip DE and PA.

Maryland taxes your retirement, taxes you to death in all other aspects, has a high cost of living, houses are expensive, gun laws are complicated to impossible to understand and it just sucks.

Depending on what you own and when you bought it you might not even be able to bring certain firearms into MD. Most of these firearms are sporting rifles like AR-15's and AK's but there are some exceptions.

One word of advice is to make sure your children aren't moving anytime soon. Would suck to up and move to get close to them only to have them go somewhere else.

Stay away from MD.

What he said!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Don't move to Maryland - if owning, shooting and continuing to purchase guns is important to you, you don't want to be here. Of course it depends on where your grandchild is here in Maryland - find the closest town across the state line and move there - doesn't matter if it's VA, PA or DE. For me PA would be my first choice, with VA a close second and DE a distant third.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I moved to Pa in Sept......... STILL don't have my DL, maybe the end of this week. Gun friendly, taxes steep and very chickenshit rules and regs BUT beautiful country and out in the sticks a lot of bang for the buck.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Delaware is literally minutes from Annapolis ...not in the summertime though. Cheap too.

Maryland is simply, absolutely and irrevocably not a good idea. Ya gotta do what you gotta do though.

Best of luck with your decision.

I might consider renting was it me...

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Welcome aboard! Given your large firearms collection, don't move here. You'll regret it, especially the handgun qualification license, handgun roster, and all the banned long guns if you want to maintain and grow your collection unencumbered by a nanny state. Follow your gut instinct and look elsewhere. Between PA and VA, it's a tough choice. Most of PA is more laid back and old-fashioned. I love that lifestyle. Northern VA is major hustle, bustle, traffic, and high population density. Most of southeast and southwest VA are nice. All depends on the lifestyle you're looking for.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Eastern Shore of Maryland not too bad. Wicomico county has a very gun friendly sheriff and states attorney but Delaware is nice too. Close to the beach and Annapolis.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Good point. I forgot to mention WV. Very close to western and central MD. Very gun friendly. Not much hustle and bustle.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    like the others said, don't move here. your tax dollars will be wasted and this is NOT a free state. move to VA or DE.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    If you owned the pistols before 10-1-13, you don't need to do anything. Same for long guns.
    That's not right. Handguns are regulated firearms and need to be registered if he moves.
    It's not only AR's that are banned, some handguns, some rifles or specific configurations of rifles.

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/LicensingandRegistration/Registration/NewResident.aspx

From this page you can directly search long guns on this page:
    https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/LicensingandRegistration/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

to search handguns:
    https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/HandgunRoster.aspx

If you are into silencers forget DE.

You have to understand that people commute a long distance around here because of the cost of living (and the neighborhoods) around DC. People live on the eastern shore of MD (Across a bridge which frequently has accidents) to drive to DC or they drive from PA into Baltimore. We are right up there with Los Angeles in commute time.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You are mostly correct However his hand guns don't need to be on the roster for him to bring them. Only if they are purchased or transferred in MD. They still must be registered as you point out though. And regulated rifles are banned only if they were purchased after Oct 1, 2013. Pre 10-1 rifles that are regulated need only be registered

but my mistake

ETA-to keep it accurate I'm gonna delete my post-sorry for the confusion on my part.

Attached is the list of "regulated" long guns (now banned) unless you purchased them before 10-1-13. registration required. It cannot also be a copycat weapon with an OAL < 29", or 2 of the below features

Flash Hider
    folding stock
    grenande launcher

Guns not on the list are not regulated and need not be registered.

obviously IANAL (i'd be a crappy one)

Attachments

• 2014Regulated Firearms.pdf
      108.7 KB · Views: 227
    Last edited:

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I agree with Delaware. I would look into Bethany Beach. You can get a single family home a few minutes from the beach in the $350K-450K range. It's a family beach town, not too crowded. My in-laws moved there and we love going down in the summer for a week and even go down in the winter for a few weekends. Probably a 1 1/2 - 2 hour ride to Annapolis. Plenty of gun clubs / sportsman associations on the Eastern shore.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Please consider donating to the legal defense fund to support the UNITED CHALLENGE OF THE MARYLAND FIREARMS BAN[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom