Thinking about a 10mm pistol. What are your favorites?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    We will just have to agree to disagree. Is the anti-sig thing an engineering, ascetic, or company policy complaint?

I don't understand what you disagree with our the question.

I think he meant aesthetic (appreciation of beauty or taste) instead of ascetic (religious discipline or self denial).

You said "couldn't pay me to own a sig"..

So his question is, why not? Do you object to Sig's engineering, design, or something about the company itself?

I'm also curious. I respect your opinion but I've never, ever had a bad experience with a sig (P229, P220, P938).

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I have heard and experienced different opinions in shooting .40s out of 10s. I know guys who shoot .40s out of their 10s a lot with no complaints. I know guys who say never do this.

Anyone want to chime in? yea/nay.
    I have a friend who used to do that at one time. I gave him my opinion that you shouldn’t do it. I was afraid the rim would not catch the extractor correctly or not sit in the chamber correctly. I don’t know. At a basic level I think it’s best to stick with using the ammo designed to be used in a firearm.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I think he meant aesthetic (appreciation of beauty or taste) instead of ascetic (religious discipline or self denial).

You said "couldn't pay me to own a sig"..

So his question is, why not? Do you object to Sig's engineering, design, or something about the company itself?

I'm also curious. I respect your opinion but I've never, ever had a bad experience with a sig (P229, P220, P938).
    My experience with Sigs on the commercial side are not good. I believe the commercial products they make, ride on a reputation of past quality that no longer exists.

I'm sharing my experience. People are going to buy what they like regardless of what I share. They couldn't pay me to own one of their firearms.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    My experience with Sigs on the commercial side are not good. I believe the commercial products they make, ride on a reputation of past quality that no longer exists.

I'm sharing my experience. People are going to buy what they like regardless of what I share. They couldn't pay me to own one of their firearms.

I’ve had a gun store manager say Sig’s all metal guns are fine but they can’t seem to get their polymer guns right. I’ve no experience with Sigs other than my 210, 220 and 226 so I really can’t voice an informed opinion on their other products.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’ve had a gun store manager say Sig’s all metal guns are fine but they can’t seem to get their polymer guns right. I’ve no experience with Sigs other than my 210, 220 and 226 so I really can’t voice an informed opinion on their other products.
    My P365 has been great. I carry one and shoot it a lot. I’m an irrational H&K fanboy. When they come out with their modular microcompact 9mm, I will give the Sig to the wife.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I've got some 10s, and here are my thoughts.
    I bought a G40 put a 6moa RMR on it and ring 8x11 steel at 100 yards if I do my part. Great for ranch hunting, and can hunt deer in MD with the right loads.
    Bought a Springfield Armory 5in TRP just because i found a killer deal and 1911s are cool.
    Decided I needed a dependable woods carry gun I wouldn't cry about if I dropped it in a creek so I got a G20, and love it for its purpose.
    I have just for the first time ever put my hands on a Tisas.( I feel a little dirty). Co-worker has one in .45 and I gotta admit I was impressed with it for the $500 he paid for it. I know some of the foreign made 1911s have has issues with everything, but I'm giving serious thought to grabbing a $600 D10
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/tisas-1911-d10-10mm-5-8rd-stainless-cerakote-black-1911-d10.html
    and fitting some Brown. Baer, EGW, Tripp, Wilson parts just because 1911s are cool.

The Mosquito is almost as good as my Jennings J22.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I've got some 10s, and here are my thoughts.
    I bought a G40 put a 6moa RMR on it and ring 8x11 steel at 100 yards if I do my part. Great for ranch hunting, and can hunt deer in MD with the right loads.
    Bought a Springfield Armory 5in TRP just because i found a killer deal and 1911s are cool.
    Decided I needed a dependable woods carry gun I wouldn't cry about if I dropped it in a creek so I got a G20, and love it for its purpose.
    I have just for the first time ever put my hands on a Tisas.( I feel a little dirty). Co-worker has one in .45 and I gotta admit I was impressed with it for the $500 he paid for it. I know some of the foreign made 1911s have has issues with everything, but I'm giving serious thought to grabbing a $600 D10
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/tisas-1911-d10-10mm-5-8rd-stainless-cerakote-black-1911-d10.html
    and fitting some Brown. Baer, EGW, Tripp, Wilson parts just because 1911s are cool.
    I had two Tisas 1911’s, still have the second. If you don’t mind putting in some tuning time thay are a goid deal at their price point. You would be content with a 10mm Tisas…as long it has the uundercut behind and below the trigger guard.

Last edited:

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County
    I have an older, 2011, Sig SP2022 polymer frame 9MM and it has been amazing!! Accurate and zero issues whatsoever. Ive prob had ~2k rounds through it.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    If one is wanting a long slide 10mm 1911 and scarity is an issue, simply buy a 45 long slide and tune it for 45 Super. Both cartridges work in the same power range. The upper pistol in pic is a 45 Super/SMC I built on a Springer frame. It is tuned for top power loads but it functions and shoots 45 ball excellently.

The bottom is Foster (Caspian) frame pistol I built in 10mm. It is best racked by cocking the hammer first. I bought the slide from a member on this site.

Both pistols have a square bottom firing pin stop with a top forward relief cut. The 10mm firing pin stop has a minimal radius at the bottom and a relief cut which leaves no slide “running start” at the beginning of slide movement. The 45 Super’s firing stop has a slightly larger radius and not as much of a forward relief cut. Both pistols use heavy mainsprings (26# in 10mm and 28# in 45S). Recoil springs are not all that heavy…18.5# and 15# (longer 6” spring). Fired brass is good. Both barrels are standard, unramped. No smilies with top end loads in warm weather. Either one will have you walking to retrieve brass.

Recoil in either is not 44 Magnum revolver recoil class. More 357 4” revolver class. The 6” is a heavy barrel and the 5” is a standard bushing barrel. So the weight helps mitigate recoil.

Additionally, there is the heavier bullet with same power factor as a lighter bullet phenomenon of yielding less abrupt recoil impulse. Given the very similar energy and power factors, the 45S 6” gun exhibits noticeably gentler recoil compared to the 5” gun.

The 6” gun was built specifically for Maryland deer season…and its cool.
    IMG_9555.jpeg
    IMG_9556.jpeg
    IMG_9557.jpeg

hpbyhermann

Mar 10, 2009
    Edgewater MD
    I really appreciate your comments! Please keep them coming! I definitely want a semi-automatic. I used to have a 629 44 Magnum revolver for my trips to Montana but sold it. This is for protection while camping in bear country and for range use. I currently own a variety of Sigs (P229. 40 caliber, P226's, P365's and P320 X-5) CZ'S, 1911's etc. Definitely leaning towards higher capacity.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I handled but didn't shoot my buddy's new Smith & Wesson m&p 10 full size. Was impressed with the fit and finish and overall proportions. Worth looking at.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I have a few 1911s including a couple of Colt Delta Elites and the Springfield TRP long slide. I do enjoy them and they feel good in the hand as well as soak up recoil even with the nuclear Underwood ammo. But the capacity of the Glocks is what won out for me. I’m leaving in the morning for the Gila National Forrest and I’m sticking with the G40. It soaks up recoil almost as well as the 1911s. Plus the holster works for all three Glocks pictured.

Attachments

• 6FEEBFE8-E39B-419B-A5D0-7214E4AE4B87.jpeg
      6FEEBFE8-E39B-419B-A5D0-7214E4AE4B87.jpeg
      389.3 KB · Views: 45
    • 7D0CA656-C712-4E6F-967D-A1AF4B8DD2B4.jpeg
      7D0CA656-C712-4E6F-967D-A1AF4B8DD2B4.jpeg
      245.4 KB · Views: 54

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members