Thinking about a 10mm pistol. What are your favorites?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I have, and like, my Delta Elite which seems to shoot pretty well with a few different kinds of ammo. A while back I acquired a Springfield XDM Elite 4.5. It didn't group well for me. My XDMs in 9mm and 45 have no such issues. I have not shot it but once, So I have bought some other ammo to try. It doesn't seem unwieldy to shoot. So I'm hoping trying other ammo will lead to a better result.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Lol. I know a couple people who like their Mosquito. I know way more who bitch about them.

I accept that all the people with horror stories didn't make them up . But Littlefoot's Mosquito works .

( Ironically , also had a friend who's .22lr Jennings had a fairly nice trigger , was reliable , and better than expected accuracy .)

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I accept that all the people with horror stories didn't make them up . But Littlefoot's Mosquito works .

( Ironically , also had a friend who's .22lr Jennings had a fairly nice trigger , was reliable , and better than expected accuracy .)
    I have a friend who has a Hi Point he really likes and can't understand why people are so critical of them. Cheap and shoots very well. He is not a "cheap gun" kinda guy. He mostly has decent to really nice stuff. I have shot his Hi Point myself and really can't lodge any complaints.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I have a friend who has a Hi Point he really likes and can't understand why people are so critical of them. Cheap and shoots very well. He is not a "cheap gun" kinda guy. He mostly has decent to really nice stuff. I have shot his Hi Point myself and really can't lodge any complaints.
    $200 at Sportsman's Warehouse---generally good reviews for this

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I don't understand what you disagree with our the question.

I have had good luck with Sigs. But everyone has their own experiences and tastes. Hence agree to disagree.

I think he meant aesthetic (appreciation of beauty or taste) instead of ascetic (religious discipline or self denial).

You said "couldn't pay me to own a sig"..

So his question is, why not? Do you object to Sig's engineering, design, or something about the company itself?

I'm also curious. I respect your opinion but I've never, ever had a bad experience with a sig (P229, P220, P938).

This.

My experience with Sigs on the commercial side are not good. I believe the commercial products they make, ride on a reputation of past quality that no longer exists.

I'm sharing my experience. People are going to buy what they like regardless of what I share. They couldn't pay me to own one of their firearms.

Can you elaborate? I am not trying to start an argument and genuinely would like to hear of your bad experiences.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back at the Hi Point pistols .
    They're reliable ( with FMJ) and neigh indestructible . There are lots if anecdotal stories of Gun Guys picking up a used one for dirt cheap on a lark , just to see how long before they broke . Invariably , several thousands of rounds later , they gave up , with no visable signs of undue wear , or loss of accuracy .

That said , they are Ugly , spotty at best feeding jhp , Ugly , ungainly , Ugly , unnesessarily bulky , Ugly , ill balanced, Ugly , embarassing to be seen with . And Ugly . Did I mention Ugly ?

Sure , Ugly is as Ugly does . Glocks are " normal ugly " , but generally that is taken as " plain & business like "

But Hi Points aren't " normal ugly " , they are AMC Pacer level of hidious .

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Back at the Hi Point pistols .
    They're reliable ( with FMJ) and neigh indestructible . There are lots if anecdotal stories of Gun Guys picking up a used one for dirt cheap on a lark , just to see how long before they broke . Invariably , several thousands of rounds later , they gave up , with no visable signs of undue wear , or loss of accuracy .

That said , they are Ugly , spotty at best feeding jhp , Ugly , ungainly , Ugly , unnesessarily bulky , Ugly , ill balanced, Ugly , embarassing to be seen with . And Ugly . Did I mention Ugly ?

Sure , Ugly is as Ugly does . Glocks are " normal ugly " , but generally that is taken as " plain & business like "

But Hi Points aren't " normal ugly " , they are AMC Pacer level of hidious .
    And customizable to light speed levels of hideous.

cerakoted-stormtrooper-white-graphite-black-and-gold-hipoint-10mm.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I alluded to my G29sf above , and multiple reasoning above .

In summer of '13 I had made up my mind about the repugnant nature of HQL , and was going to fill in my check list that summer .

My reasoning was with a Glock , with addition of 4.5 inch aftermarket bbl , and G20 mags & magazine sleeve , it could be the functional equivalent of a G20 , but with stock bbl and flush magazine was a Compact- ish big bore carry gun . Plus the ability of aftermarket bbls to shoot .357 Sig , and .40 s&w conventional rifling to shoot lead bullets of indifferent hardness .

small shot

Aug 20, 2020
    IDK how many 1911 format pistols are in caliber 10mm, but that's where I would start.
    Look into Magnum Research 1911s.. they offer a 10mm version. Bul armory makes them for MR. It is a lot of bang for relatively low buck. Usually around $850ish + tax/transfer.

I haven't seen a single complaint about these and have put 600rds through mine. No need to tinker/F* with these.

Attachments

• KeyFeatures-MR1911G-1024x652.jpg
      KeyFeatures-MR1911G-1024x652.jpg
      55.3 KB · Views: 45

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    In the past 30 years, I've owned and shot multiple 10mm handguns, including a few revolvers. With that said, I still own multiple 10mm single stack 1911s, including the TRP Operator. If you want a knockaround pistol, the SA XDM10 gives you the same round count as the Glock and you can get magazine extensions for it. Also available with slides cut for optics. I have the 4.25" barreled version. I think I'll be picking up the S&W ported M&P, as it will help with muzzle rise with real 10mm loads.

CameraGuy

Floaty Potato
    I picked up a G20 recently for something better than my m and p subcompact 9mm when in the woods. I’ve done some range shooting with it and it’s nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be to handle with a hot load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom