• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I shipped, via the UPS place at Staples, a CZ82 off for refinishing. I had the pistol field stripped and packed nicely. When they asked the contents, I told them machine parts for refinishing.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    Is there a problem with UPS stores handling deliveries of gun parts?? I just received e-mail notofications of two deliveries from Palmetto later this week. Usually UPS delivers in our area late in the afternoon -- but to be safe I was thinking of redirecting them to a local UPS store where I could go and sign for both packages --- but this thread has me wondering if that is such a good idea.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Parts should be ok-as long as it's not the firearm. But some posts here say it could be a problem. But according to UPS policy, it's OK.

DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008
    The Dictatorship of Maryland
    The UPS issue with firearms is simple. You don't say it's firearms. "Car Parts" or "Machine Parts" are both perfectly acceptable. If anyone ever decides to make a deal about it you can honest say it's the truth as well. James Bond has guns built into his cars! :D

GoldenRing

Dec 19, 2012
    If you had a bad experience doing business there, write a review on google maps. That will really learn em and also let other's know whats up

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Federal law and UPS policy require you to declare as a firearm shipment if it contains a firearm.

Advocating on this forum breaking the law is a really bad idea.

Broder

Jan 13, 2013
    The UPS issue with firearms is simple. You don't say it's firearms. "Car Parts" or "Machine Parts" are both perfectly acceptable. If anyone ever decides to make a deal about it you can honest say it's the truth as well. James Bond has guns built into his cars! :D

According to their corporate headquarters that is the main reason the UPS Store stopped accepting gun related items. People have been lying about the contents of their packages which results in firearms being illegally shipped. That creates problems for UPS.

They have been trying to deal with the issue by having the local stores call headquarters to verify whether an item can be accepted but in most cases the people answering the calls know nothing about firearms. So if they don't know the answer they just tell them to take it to a hub. This has resulted in inconsistencies on what is being accepted for shipping at the local stores.

The laws are dumb and should not exist but that aside it seems that gun owners are largely responsible for the problem.

saltyphotog

Feb 19, 2012
    I tried to ship a SKS tapco stock, bipod, tapco mag., and muzzle break. The woman at the UPS Store said that because it was plastic and not a traditional wood stock they would not ship it. Off to Kinkos and Fedex I went and no problem. I will never voluntarily use UPS again. What can brown do for me? Not a damn thing!

Broder

Jan 13, 2013
    I tried to ship a SKS tapco stock, bipod, tapco mag., and muzzle break. The woman at the UPS Store said that because it was plastic and not a traditional wood stock they would not ship it. Off to Kinkos and Fedex I went and no problem. I will never voluntarily use UPS again. What can brown do for me? Not a damn thing!

According to their headquarters they are trying to keep people from shipping complete firearms illegally. You can see just from this thread that it is a common practice for gun owners to obfuscate the contents of their packages to skirt the law. This is illegal and UPS can get in trouble for shipping restricted items in violation of the law. Regardless, they are not handling the situation very well. I would not be surprised if they just stop accepting anything gun related from private individuals in the future. The gun laws are about to become so different from state-to-state its probably going to be too much hassle for anyone in the shipping business to try to screen items at the level necessary to be in compliance.

The root of the problem is unnecessary and poorly designed gun laws. Followed by gun owners trying to skirt the unnecessary and poorly designed laws. Followed by a giant shipping company having problems figuring out what is legal to ship.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Seems like a solution is to take your shipment to a UPS ship depot rather than a UPS store. The business model is such that the knowledge level seems to vary greatly between franchisees.

Not an ideal solution but perhaps less frustrating. Since Fed Ex will only ship to or from an FFL, your options are somewhat limited if shipping to a non FFL.

And lying about shipment contents in violation of Federal law is just plain stupid IMO.

27 C.F.R. § 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.
    Title 27 - Alcohol, Tobacco Products and Firearms

§ 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped: Provided, That any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of that trip without violating any provision of this part.

racerbob66

Nov 19, 2009
    North East, MD
    I wouldn't leave any weapons at a UPS store from what I've seen at my local stores. Boxes are left out in the open, they're strewn all over the place. I only ship from a distribution center by my own choice, I simply don't trust the franchise stores.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I wouldn't leave any weapons at a UPS store from what I've seen at my local stores. Boxes are left out in the open, they're strewn all over the place. I only ship from a distribution center by my own choice, I simply don't trust the franchise stores.

Good plan but firearms are not supposed to be shipped from a UPS Store anyway. Just ship from a UPS Distribution Center.

No more hassles.

:thumbsup:

Bigrascal

Sep 7, 2012
    Chase
    Just put it in a U.S.P.S. Flat Rate Box, If it fits it Ships, cheaper and will be there in 3 days or less even if it's to Cal.

OOOP's NO GUN PARTS to Cal.....

Bigrascal

Sep 7, 2012
    Chase
    Depending on where you are shipping it to the U.S.P.S. will be the ones for final delivery anyway.....
    U.P.S. only delivers to the Big Metro areas that are financialy benaficial to do so. The rest they dump onto the Post Office to deliver.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    I ended up missing the delivery at home (first time in ages UPS delivered in our neighborhood by mid-afternoon). Went online and redirected the package to be held at the hub/distribution center -- instead of the local UPS store. The hub is only a minute or two from where I normally park to take the subway to work. Picked it up by 8:05 this morning. I would agree that misrepresenting what is in the package is not the way to handle this and will probably cause more problems in the long run.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Depending on where you are shipping it to the U.S.P.S. will be the ones for final delivery anyway.....
    U.P.S. only delivers to the Big Metro areas that are financialy benaficial to do so. The rest they dump onto the Post Office to deliver.

I'll repeat. Only an FFL can ship a handgun via USPS. If UPS deos it, they're viloating USPS regs for firearms shipments from non FFL's. Please provide a cite tht a UPS shipment containing a firearm from UPS is turned over to USPS for delivery. USPS is violating their own laws if they accept a package containing a firearm from a non FFL from UPS.

shiloh228

Dec 25, 2012
    Ballmer County
    I throw the BS flag on this. I live in the woods, and the Big Brown Truck comes here all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom