• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Diamonddoug

Feb 2, 2013
    Jackson County TN
    Had to ship some guns to my ffl dealer before going into Canada last summer.
    UPS would not take them went to 3 different UPS drop locations no go. Went to one fedex and they shipped them no problem, Had to ship overnight though

Broder

Jan 13, 2013
    I just tried again at the same store. This time for a scope I sold in the classifieds. They refuse to take it and told me I would have to take it to the UPS hub for shipment. The store in question is at 2657 Annapolis Rd, Hanover, MD 21076 if anyone cares. I am done with UPS.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I ordered a MK12 SPR upper from High Caliber Sales and informed them that UPS is the best option for me since they deliver after work when I am home. He emails me the next day with the same problem you had. A UPS store and they will not accept gun related items. Yet before I moved to Alaska, UPS would always deliver uppers that I had purchased through BCM. Even some things I've ordered here for my shotgun were delivered through UPS. I certainly agree with you not using them any longer as it seems to be more of a hassle. Their loss.

EvilOlive

Salty Marine
    Dec 13, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    UPS

I shipped a CZ down to Cajun Gun Works via UPS. I packed it myself, declared the value as $1k (and purchased the insurance) I handed the guy a copy of the FFL for the ship to address. When the guy asked the contents (for the form) he chuckled when I answered "Miscellaneous Parts".

-EO

Broder

Jan 13, 2013
    The UPS store is NOT UPS.

They are a private owned company. A friend of mine owns a few loctions.

The UPS Store is UPS. The below is straight from the about page on their website.

The UPS Store, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of United Parcel Service (“UPS”) of America, Inc., is the world’s largest franchisor of retail shipping, postal, printing and business service centers. The UPS Store® and Mail Boxes Etc.® together comprise nearly 4,700 independently owned locations in the U.S., Puerto Rico and Canada, providing convenient and value-added business services to the small-office/home-office (SOHO) market, corporate "road warriors," and consumers.

I realize that the individual stores are franchises but the company is wholly owned by UPS. The stores are branded UPS, they use UPS software and paperwork, they have to comply with whatever agreements they made with UPS when they bought their franchises, and they represent UPS as official agents.

UPS at a minimum seems to have a subsidiary that doesn't like the second amendment and is actively trying to make it as hard as possible to ship gun related items.

anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    I will stand up for my local UPS store. Maybe it is franchise by franchise, but I use the one on rt 29/briggs chaney from time to time. Never had an issue. At least one or two guys there seem very 2a friendly.

For full firearms, had to use hubs, but that was ok. Stuff I bring in is already in boxes, though, so maybe that's it.

Last edited:

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    I've shipped firearms through the UPS center in Frederick with no problem, never used A UPS Store. Also get a shipment of ammo weekly (or so it seems with backorders starting to be processed) from UPS, never a problem.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Okay without going through 3 pages, can I go to FedEx or UPS and ship a couple boxes of ammo to someone? Need to do it asap.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    according to UPS policy yes.

affix an ORM-D label first.

Attachments

• ORM-D.jpg
      ORM-D.jpg
      5 KB · Views: 94
    • orm-d-black.jpg
      orm-d-black.jpg
      4.7 KB · Views: 94
    • ORMDLabel.gif
      ORMDLabel.gif
      8.8 KB · Views: 94
    • orm-d-white.jpg
      orm-d-white.jpg
      5.8 KB · Views: 92

Broder

Jan 13, 2013
    After looking into this issue more it appears that whats going on at the UPS Stores is the result of people obfuscating the contents of their packages to ship firearms and restricted items in violation of the law and UPS trying to prevent the aforementioned people from doing these things.

I talked to the UPS Store corporate office and they told me they put restrictions on firearms related items because the local stores were not adequately screening the packages or were obfuscating the contents of the packages to allow items to be shipped illegally. The UPS hubs have better screening capabilities and employees with more knowledge of the company's shipping policies and the relevant laws.

So, maybe I am not done with UPS. lol

JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    It must be nice when a company can turn away business because they object to the shippers rights as an American citizen. As far as putting miscellaneous parts on a shipping label, this doesn't mean anything if that particular package goes through an X-ray machine. Maybe us legal gun owners will have to setup a "pony express" route to get our firearms delivered to where they are supposed to be.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    It must be nice when a company can turn away business because they object to the shippers rights as an American citizen. As far as putting miscellaneous parts on a shipping label, this doesn't mean anything if that particular package goes through an X-ray machine. Maybe us legal gun owners will have to setup a "pony express" route to get our firearms delivered to where they are supposed to be.

The franchisee locations are run according to a contract with the franchisor, UPS. I've seen similar agreements, and they are typically very one-sided. Generally, franchisees have few rights and can have their agreement/investment/livelihood terminated without compensation at almost any time and for the smallest reasons. Franchisees tend to err on the side of caution when they are not absolutely sure of the rules. The last thing they want, in this climate, is to be caught doing anything the least bit shady involving firearms. When they are not sure of the rules, and are running really scared, this is what happens.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    can't ship gun stuff at the non-hub locations... I just shipped out 1k 5.56mm at the main hub at UPS in Sparks

UPS policy allow everything except firearms to be shipped from a UPS Store. So if a franchisee opts not to do it, that's not in compliance with the allowed policy.\

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
    • Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
    • When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
    • See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.
    No specific prohibition on parts shipments through a UPS Store

From their Cond of service

Firearm parts, which do not constitute firearms as defined under federal law (including without limitation Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code), and which otherwise comply with federal, state, and local law, will be accepted for transportation.

Broder

Jan 13, 2013
    UPS policy allow everything except firearms to be shipped from a UPS Store. So if a franchisee opts not to do it, that's not in compliance with the allowed policy.\

[/LIST]
    No specific prohibition on parts shipments through a UPS Store

Their policy on firearms related items is constantly changing and is not uniformly enforced. The lady at the counter called the corporate headquarters in front of me and was told all firearms related items must go through a hub. A few weeks ago the same store (different lady) called the corporate office and was told that scopes are acceptable to ship yet denied me from shipping a scope yesterday.

After talking with the UPS Store corporate headquarters I no longer believe they are engaged in political activism against the second amendment. I think criminals and lawful gun owners have been obfuscating and lying about the contents of their packages to skirt the law. The problem is exacerbated by the franchise business model and the general lack of firearms and policy knowledge by their employees.

The UPS Store's de facto policy on firearms related items is when in doubt send them to the hub. Which is probably a wise policy given the political climate and how their business is organized.

Regardless, it has been a frustrating experience dealing with them and anything firearms related but at least its good to finally understand what's going on.

Pistoleros45

Jan 26, 2013
    Landover, Maryland
    I had a problem with the UPS Store in Prince George's County. They did not want to ship my Savage rifle back to Savage Arms for repair. It seems that the UPS Stores, which are independent from UPS, have a policy not to ship firearms. I simply took the rifle to the UPS Distribution Center and they had no problem shipping the rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom