• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broder

Jan 13, 2013
    Has anyone had any problems shipping gun related parts and accessories using the UPS store? I just sent a TWS dog leg rail that I sold in the classifieds and got some resistance from the people behind the counter.

The lady first told me that they were not allowed to ship any gun related parts except for scopes. I explained to her what the rail was and showed her the original USPS box, tape, and label that it arrived in from TWS. She then asked a co-worker if it was allowed and the co-worker told her that only scopes can be sent through UPS. She then called the corporate office to see if it was allowed to be shipped and the corporate office told her that no gun parts were allowed to be shipped except through the hub. I told her I would just take it to the post office since it was closer and she offered to go ahead and send it but list the contents as "metal parts". I am not knocking the lady behind the counter. She was trying to help me but there seems to be some inconsistency at UPS as to what types of firearms related items they are willing to ship. The inconsistency seems to be partly driven by politics.

I did some googling and this seems to be a fairly common occurrence with the UPS store. There doesn't seem to be any problems when going through the hubs.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with UPS?

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    It is my understanding that the UPS stores will NOT ship firearms. I just sold a gun out of state and they told me that I had to go to a UPS Customer center to do it. I believe UPS Stores are privately owned/Franchises and that may be why.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    It is my understanding that the UPS stores will NOT ship firearms. I just sold a gun out of state and they told me that I had to go to a UPS Customer center to do it. I believe UPS Stores are privately owned/Franchises and that may be why.

The UPS Store is NOT UPS. I tried to send a rusty Garand back to SOG. I had to take it to a HUB and still took 3 people to tell me I could ship it. I even had a copy of my C&R FFL in my hand if they wanted it. When all was said and done, anybody can ship back to the dealer or manufacturer.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    UPS stores are franchises and you are always better off going to a real UPS depot/shipping center.

Example:

I tried to ship a bass guitar at a UPS Store and they wanted $275.00 to ship it to CA, and they said since it was in a case....duh....that counted as my own packaging and UPS/ they were not responsible for any damage even though I was going to pay them to box and pad the shipment.

I walked out. I drove 20 minutes to the real UPS in Burtonsville, MD, paid only $55 to ship the same item and there was no BS about them not being responsible for damage.

As far as guns, they can institute any policy they want to regarding non-FFLs, but we ship out guns using UPS almost every day with no special marking or handling ; however, we do ship overnight so they spend less time on loading docks asking to be stolen.

Most of our distributors only ship handguns via FedEx.

UPS Stores.....never again.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    I had the same problem with UPS in clarksville. Went 5 min. Down the road to fed ex shiped out with no problems.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Fed Ex stores are owned by Fed Ex. UPS stores are not owned by UPS as mentioned

UPS policy:
    Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
    • Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
    • When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
    • See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.
    1.gif

theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    I had an issue at the UPS store in Columbia trying to ship both my M1 Garand an M1 Carbine to Fulton Armory. Was told since I wasn't (at the time) an FFL holder that I couldn't ship it directly to them and I had to explain to the guy that it was going to repair so it didn't matter. Took about 20 minuets,but I was able to get it shipped. FedEx never gave me any issues with shipping guns.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

The UPS Store is NOT UPS. I tried to send a rusty Garand back to SOG. I had to take it to a HUB and still took 3 people to tell me I could ship it. I even had a copy of my C&R FFL in my hand if they wanted it. When all was said and done, anybody can ship back to the dealer or manufacturer.

UPS stores are franchises and you are always better off going to a real UPS depot/shipping center.

Example:

I tried to ship a bass guitar at a UPS Store and they wanted $275.00 to ship it to CA, and they said since it was in a case....duh....that counted as my own packaging and UPS/ they were not responsible for any damage even though I was going to pay them to box and pad the shipment.

I walked out. I drove 20 minutes to the real UPS in Burtonsville, MD, paid only $55 to ship the same item and there was no BS about them not being responsible for damage.

As far as guns, they can institute any policy they want to regarding non-FFLs, but we ship out guns using UPS almost every day with no special marking or handling ; however, we do ship overnight so they spend less time on loading docks asking to be stolen.

Most of our distributors only ship handguns via FedEx.

UPS Stores.....never again.

Ged Ex stores are owned by Fed Ex. UPS stores are not,

UPS policy:

[/LIST]
    1.gif

This is very well covered with the preceding posts.:thumbsup:

ACMAN

Jan 24, 2011
    Maryland
    UPS stores will not ship ammo or any gun related part. The best thing to do is set up an account with UPS online. Print out the shipping lable yourself. Schedule a pick up for a few dollars and you will be good to go.
    Fed Ex/ Kinkos stores are manned with Fed Ex employees. They will ship and receive guns and relate items.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The UPS Store franchises have a policy of not shipping guns or gun-related parts. They are independent franchises, not part of UPS proper. You need to go to the nearest UPS shipping depot to ship guns. A UPS depot is a large warehouse/distribution facility. It should not be confused with an independent hole-in-the-wall store with kids at the register.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Good info all, thanks. Sounds like FedEx is the way to go.

That could be a very expensive mistake. FedEx does not sell insurance on valuable goods. If you declare an item's value to FedEx, pay more to ship it at that value, and FedEx loses it, then you will not be reimbursed for anywhere near the declared value. UPS sells insurance and will reimburse you at declared value if you pay for the extra insurance and they lose it.

On a side note, if nobody mentioned it yet, never ship a gun without requiring a signature upon delivery, even if you are given the option to decline requiring a signature.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    On a side note, if nobody mentioned it yet, never ship a gun without requiring a signature upon delivery, even if you are given the option to decline requiring a signature.

UPS policy requires a signature"
    About Documentation and Labeling
    • The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.
    • The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not identify the contents as containing a firearm. Labeling, including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document, must be non-descriptive.
    1.gif

Aldwyn

Not All That Bad, Really.
    Dec 20, 2012
    Columbia, Md
    Bought a gun off gun broker, and the seller tried to ship it at a UPS store last week. They wouldnt do it... insisted he had to take it to UPS or have UPS come pick it up. This of course, caused a 3 day delay in shipping. :tdown:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I haven't had a problem at the UPS depot since they got a new counter person that knows the laws. Hate having to pay $65 to overnite a handgun because they can't trust their employees. I shipped a handgun to a dealer last year and called him the next day to be sure he got it. UPS left it at his door, lucky I called. As far as insurance, UPS is terrible about paying ins. claims. Most dealers I know use USPS for this reason and it's cheaper. We peons are stuck with UPS stupid rules. My local Fed Ex Store ships fine. Will even do long guns. So will my PO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom