• ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Three sad points that stick out to me -

1) Maryland has run off so many good companies and employers over the past several years, it seems the GA doesn't care anymore - they just raise the taxes on everyone left in the state who actually works to make up for it (eventually there is no more money to redistribute).

2) Do these legislators think by supporting MOM they will go "to the next level" and be rewarded? Can't they see that MOM is a self absorbed a**hat that only cares about HIS career and could care less about the legislators and citizens of MD? How about politics as usual!

3) The people who work for a living in this state/country are being run around by the people who vote for a living.

This system cannot sustain itself. Eventually they will be left with a bunch of people sucking off a government that has forced it's taxpayers to leave the State. Then they are hosed. In fact, they are probably already hosed. Give them time.

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    Can someone help me with something -

-how can it be constitutional to require somoene to pay $ and submit to licensure regime to exercise a constitutional right that has been affirmed by the SCOTUS? Isn't the inclusion of the fee and licensure simply to possess a handgun (which may be the defense weapon of choice) a violation of the DC SCOTUS case?

-it also screams of the "poll taxes" that were used to prevent folks from exercising their constitutional right of voting in the past which was struck down as well.

-this seems to be ripe to be shot to hell by the current SCOTUS - so why are these folks wating EVERYONE's time an energy to help MOM get another date with Bloomberg?

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD

-how can it be constitutional to require somoene to pay $ and submit to licensure regime to exercise a constitutional right that has been affirmed by the SCOTUS? Isn't the inclusion of the fee and licensure simply to possess a handgun (which may be the defense weapon of choice) a violation of the DC SCOTUS case?

-it also screams of the "poll taxes" that were used to prevent folks from exercising their constitutional right of voting in the past which was struck down as well.

-this seems to be ripe to be shot to hell by the current SCOTUS - so why are these folks wating EVERYONE's time an energy to help MOM get another date with Bloomberg?

They just don't care. They think they are above the law and can do what they want without repercussion. Thats why our numbers and donations to NRA, MSI and SAF are so important. It will help us bring this back to SCOTUS and win there if they beat us in the current battle.. I pray we have a great turnout in Annapolis.. I wish I could go

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I mean, "isn't that enough" to motivate a person to help stop it. I guess I am disappointed that Beretta can be placated with an inch. Or that someone would see a $25 fee vs a $100 fee as a victory. I know I am preaching to the choir.

Jeff Reh quoted papa Beretta during his testimony, the Beretta family is fed up.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Let's see what happens. ;)

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    :thumbsup: Check going in if'n this passes.

Still can't believe they would vote on this monstrosity on Good Friday! As bad as Health Care on Christmas Eve!

Another note: what does the secretary of MD know about firearms training? Can only imagine what THOSE requirements will look like.

Goin' broke defending our civil rights -
    -cost of ammo
    -contributing to SAF, GOA, NRA, MSI, MSRPA, and pro-2A pols
    -time off dealing with this nightmare

Alsmost seems like they want us to spend all of this money now.....is there a part 2 coming after they have exhausted us all?

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Goin' broke defending our civil rights -
    -cost of ammo
    -contributing to SAF, GOA, NRA, MSI, MSRPA, and pro-2A pols
    -time off dealing with this nightmare

Alsmost seems like they want us to spend all of this money now.....is there a part 2 coming after they have exhausted us all?

it's the hiked gas tax. grand scheme all along. tax us into oblivion.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Any chance this is politics??? Meaning its so bad that only a few in the GA would support it, wasting lots of time with more amendments etc??? Right now time is on our side, if this gets hung up long enough the senate won't have time for committee.

Time is on our side but they know exactly what they're doing. Yea, the strategy is amend, delay, obstruct. They know that. If they have the votes it'll pass without significant amendments. Even if it's amended the Senate can accept it 'as is' with a floor vote. I've also heard special session tossed around. If it gets to the senate I'll be pushing my rep to filibuster but I'm not hopeful. Best bet from what I can tell is put the heat on today and get the joint committee to vote this damn thing down. This is not the day to sit back and wait!

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    With regards to the ammo ban on minors: Scott Shellenberger, the SA for Baltimore County, flat out admitted to me, off the record, that the restrictions on ammo posession could be interpreted to ban all shooting by minors. He told me that he wouldn't interpret that way, but that the fact that there was room for interpretation at all was an issue.

So while there may be some legal ambiguity about supervised shooting, what is crystal clear is that unsupervised shooting and ammunition possession by anyone under 21 is absolutely against the law. No hunting by yourself. ROTC target practice? Try it, and you'll go to jail. Got a round in your gear bag when you get back from your deployment to Afghanistan? Thank you for your service now face this way for your mug shot.

I really think Beretta is simply fed up with Maryland. They see themselves as bringing tons of skilled jobs and income into the state, and getting thanked for it by being figuratively flipped the bird by Annapolis every year. They've pretty much had it. And they're family owned, still, after all these years, so no board of stockholders to spend months convincing first. The old man says go and they're going. And I understand that the old man has had it with Maryland's ********.

Well it would be DARNED useful if he would come out and explicitly say that BEFORE the vote. After the fact when we have lost our rights, it's sorta too late, now isn't it?

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    They just don't care. They think they are above the law and can do what they want without repercussion. Thats why our numbers and donations to NRA, MSI and SAF are so important. It will help us bring this back to SCOTUS and win there if they beat us in the current battle.. I pray we have a great turnout in Annapolis.. I wish I could go

This. During the showdown between Cruz and Feinswine, she flat out stated that legislators don't have to worry about the constitutionality of what they propose and pass.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Spoke to Smigiel about this. He made sure they new that flash suppressor does not equal muzzle brake.

So... We'll see how it ends up being interpreted by MSP, but brakes are *supposed* to be ok.

Makes me wonder about suppressors (silencers). Will they be considered flash suppressors too?

Now, I hate to ask this, but does G&S stand for?

knownalien

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    their whole approach is from a "hunting/sport" perspective and as such they have written these laws. They will fail when SCOTUS tells them that we have the right to defend ourselves just as much as any other person be they civilian, millitary, or LEO! Cops can get IIIA vests which will easily defeat pistol ammo. So tell me that LEO's were telling lawmakers that "hey, cops are dying out there from hollow points . . . or copper bullets!" B.S.!!!

And of all the features they want to ban, which feature, had it been illegal, would have prevented Sandyhook? Or any other crime?!! or even mitigated it?!!!

but everything they want to ban does fall lockstep with one agenda: make sure the civilians are WELL behind the gov't in terms of firepower. Why would that be necessary? If the gov't decides to kill me, am I just supposed to go down peacefully?

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    I really think Beretta is simply fed up with Maryland. They see themselves as bringing tons of skilled jobs and income into the state, and getting thanked for it by being figuratively flipped the bird by Annapolis every year. They've pretty much had it. And they're family owned, still, after all these years, so no board of stockholders to spend months convincing first. The old man says go and they're going. And I understand that the old man has had it with Maryland's ********.

I heard this from a good source that Beretta has bought LAND in Virginia so they're "done" doing business in MD .......................

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012

They haven't let the law stop them yet. The whole reason for this is to make it as hard and confusing as they can to get people to decide not to buy a firearm. Then, they will put you in prison for a mandatory sentence. Remember, they cry that the prisons are full and can't hold anymore. They will run our taxes through the roof to make up for the lost corporate taxes...all to say they did something to prevent crime and increase safety. :mad54: By the time this makes it to the SCOTUS, the GA will have retired or moved on and they won't care even more than they don't care now.

I have contractors in my house today so I can't make it down. Thank you all for going today to stand up for all of us. I hope to see you next week when the call comes again, but hopefully you guys can get it stopped today.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    After reading whats in this draft and after listening to Delegate Luiz Simmons phone town hall last night .... im at wits end with our representatives. He flat out said he did not know what made an assault weapon an assault weapon so he was going to use features to define it like a flash hider but could not articulate how the features made the weapon more deadly. On top of coming right out and saying he thinks this bill as it is in draft form does not go far enough. He also flat out said he was in favor of forcing us to turn in our guns which is a nice way of saying confiscation. Sprinkle in "I don't under stand why people need those thing"s and "i feel" " public safety "

Anyways im just ashamed that this person represents my district but more ashamed that the people who were calling in for the most part really had no idea what was going on so in the end I guess he represents the majority of people in my district.

BamBam

Free Man
    Jan 23, 2013
    Sykesville, MD
    As far as "flash suppressors" go, when this came up in the subcommittee meeting even the Governor's hatchet lady (Stacey) said this has nothing to do with muzzle brakes or compensators. Just military style flash suppressors like an A2 cage. Still a stupid thing to outlaw, but it leaves some other devices wide open for our legal ownership by definition.

As for amendments - I wish someone put an amendment to exempt veterans. A good argument based on military experience to handle military style weapons. Honestly, we all need to be exempt and this whole bill should get flushed .... BUT... I think we need to propose something that sounds patriotic and nice that the Democrats will have to vote against, which will further hurt their chances for re-election. MAKE them vote publically against veterans.

That is what Obama has been doing on the federal level kicking out asses the whole time. He proposes giving free shit to everyone and makes the Republicans vote against it. Leaving that voting block hating us in the end. We need to learn from the Democratic machine.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    "Hope springs eternal," You can hope all you want, but good luck on that.

My hope relies on the Lord! It's the only thing one can count on - nothing else. It's a constant!

Mr H

Banana'd
    Very bottom of fax page 12, the "Am. 5" bracket.

A person who lawfully possessed or place a verifiable purchase order for an assault long gun...

I believe this is the 'grandfathering section'. Does this mean 'in my hands' or are the months and months worth of guns working through the MSP count as well? Before anyone claims that the intent is clear, even if the wording is not, remember that the interpretation of this law could be by SA Brian Frosh.

That, on the surface, appears to indicate that handgun purchases might be terminated before receipt??!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom