• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    I'm just making a prediction from how much I abused my first Glock and yet it has stayed nice and reliable for so long. Having never owned a 1911 before, I can only guess about its reliability.

I guess that the 22nd will answer those questions for us!

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I think some are taking this a little to seriously. James and I both know it's all in good fun.

I'm a mouthy guy about 1911's due to my interactions with them. So now we have a chance to put 2 guns head to head and see what happens. Again, it's all in good fun.

While the ammo maybe expensive I don't get out to shoot as much as others, so I do stock up inbetween shooting trips. I spread out my ammo expense over months. I won't be bringing lots of ammo for many different guns for this shoot. The 45 ammo will be the bulk of the cost for this trip.

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    you people want anyone filming this? We could make youtube history.

We aren't doing it for speed or accuracy, so I can only imagine that a four or five hour video of shooting and reloading won't be much fun.

But hey, if you wanna volunteer your time, we could both use some help reloading mags! :)

txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    We aren't doing it for speed or accuracy, so I can only imagine that a four or five hour video of shooting and reloading won't be much fun.

But hey, if you wanna volunteer your time, we could both use some help reloading mags! :)

How about I just shot(with the camera) you guys in the beginning get an interview from each participant, show the ammo, guns, you shooting a little and then we have a post 2k round report. Then people who see it can draw their own conclusions.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Chad,

We're all just having fun breaking some balls. :D I know it's all in good fun. I'm going to get over to Continental hopefully in the next couple weeks when you are working and fondle one of those Colt WW1 repros.

I'll PM you and find out when you are working. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    my factory referb sig p220 has seen atleast 3-4K threw it before a cleaning, only one re-lubing of the slide during that time (actually it was to try out some mil-comm, good stuff BTW) and after all that I only had one FTF and that was due to the mag having such a build-up on it, so it wasn't even the gun! After all that I finaly gave it a quick once-over... after 8 patches it was just starting to become a lighter gray :o
    So I will gladly put my p220 with who knows how many rounds threw it total over its life against anything... however I have neither the ammount of ammo on hand nor the $$ to buy it. I can put up maybe 500rds of my own, but would need someone with the remaining.
    Also I would need a hand reloading mags after a while :)

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I think some are taking this a little to seriously. James and I both know it's all in good fun.

I'm a mouthy guy about 1911's due to my interactions with them. So now we have a chance to put 2 guns head to head and see what happens. Again, it's all in good fun.

While the ammo maybe expensive I don't get out to shoot as much as others, so I do stock up inbetween shooting trips. I spread out my ammo expense over months. I won't be bringing lots of ammo for many different guns for this shoot. The 45 ammo will be the bulk of the cost for this trip.

You work part time for a gun dealer with one of the finest commercial indoor ranges in the area but you don't get out to shoot as much as others? Do you get discounts on guns and ammo?

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Mr. White, I think you are selling your 1911 short. The 1911 was designed for and saw the harshest of environments, including knee deep in mud trench warfare of WW1. If you read some of the tests that were performed during the adoption of the 1911 it might surprise you. Did you know that prior to its adoption the government ran a test 1911 for 6000 rounds without a failure?

Only in recent years has the 1911 developed an undeserved candy assed reputation for being fussy. There were two primary reasons for this. One was trying to overly tighten up the gun to make it a match piece. The other problem was cheapening of the manufacturing process by the clone manufacturers. Even Colt went through some dark days with quality slipping a bit at times.

Keep in mind that a gun made for civilian consumption is not necessarily the same animal as a gun made under government contract with government inspectors gauging and checking parts/guns as they come off the assembly line. Modern day gun manufacturers seem to increasingly pay less attention to quality and let the end user be the "quality control department." Some designs are more tolerant of this than others. The 1911, being a product of the era of hand fitting is not one of them.

:thumbsup: Well Said, Sir.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    You work part time for a gun dealer with one of the finest commercial indoor ranges in the area but you don't get out to shoot as much as others? Do you get discounts on guns and ammo?

It's hard to get out on the firingline for some shooting. I have been working OT a lot and not there. And when I am there we are just to damn busy to break away and go shooting.

I do get to buy guns at cost, that's a pretty cool perk.

The ammo I buy online most of the time. I can usually equal what we pay for the ammo if I dig around online for deals, even with the shipping. Gun dealers don't get the deals on ammo everyone thinks.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    OK so this is interesting.

Neither one of us can find the guns we want! I was on the phone today and the G21SF as well as the Springer 1911 are on back order.

Have no fear! SHOT is this weekend and hopefully everything will be shipping with in 2 weeks and we can get our guns for the 22nd ! And all will wonder at the Glocks ablity to eat round after round and keep on going!

terryhimself

Oct 19, 2008
    Bel Air
    Glock Vs 1911

I can not comment on the .45 Glock, but when Balto. City Police were first testing 9mm. for possable adoption they borrowed a Glock 17 from the shop where I worked. They were interested in testing the pistol. We were asked if they could do a test involving fireing the pistol without cleaning. The test would end with the first jam or broken part. I was later informed the test
    ended when they ran out of ammo at the 4,000 rd. mark.
    No jam, no broken parts!

Crxflippr

Foolish Mortal
    Oct 23, 2008
    Frederick
    To ease the burden of paying for ammo why not let anyone that is willing to pay for a portion of the rounds, shoot what they paid for, less a few rounds for letting him shoot your gun. So if Mr.Pink gives you money for 100 rds, he loads and puts 80 down range. This way you get financial relief, and a little physical break. And anyone willing to put forth money isn't donating it, they're paying for rounds they are going to get to shoot. Everyone wins.

araugh

Laser Nerd
    Sep 2, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    I'd chip in 100 rounds for the 1911 if I got to shoot a bit of it. I don't see the 1911 winning, but it'll still be fun to shoot.

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    That makes sense to me. But I want to get decent ammo for this competition, so I'll probably buy the whole 2,000 rounds up front and if you want to throw some of it downrange, I'll tally up the cost per round and you can buy as many as you'd like.

Magtech is about $0.35/rd right now, so maybe I'll hold a $2.50 load-your-own-mag special.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    OK, so it's proving to be a little more problematic then I though to find a G21SF. I spoke to 2 distributers yesterday, both said they had nothing, and had no idea of when the gun would be coming in.

So I called Glock and said WTF? I got the standard bull shit blow off that the distributers had already been told and past along to me. "Government Contact"

WTF? Who is buying all the G21SF's ?

I still stand by my origional statement. My G34 will do it and ask for more. But due to current political climate causing panic buying and limiting the avablity of Glocks, I may not be able to do the 45 Glock vs. 45 1911 test. And until I have a G21SF at work, with hte paper work submitted, I am not ordering ammo.

I'll still do the 9mm Glock vs. 1911 test though.

Plus it hasn't snowed this year. WTF? I need snow to pay for all this stuff!

THINK SNOW !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom