• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    worst case we can resort to the pencil extraction method:D I don't have a 625, but UPS permitting, I'm picking up a 610 on friday. That would be intersting putting it up aggainst a GLOCK 20 or 22, KABOOM, and I win, click click, and I lose

I think the 610 would be OK, you maybe worse for wear after 2,000 rounds of 10mm. What would hurt worse, elbow or rotator cuff after all those big booms? May need to throw some IcyHot Pads in the shooting bag:lol2:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I think the 610 would be OK, you maybe worse for wear after 2,000 rounds of 10mm. What would hurt worse, elbow or rotator cuff after all those big booms? May need to throw some IcyHot Pads in the shooting bag:lol2:

2,000 rounds of 10mm would probably hurt the wallet worse than my arm, although 40S&W out of a 6" N-frame ought to fel like a BB gun compared to 44 mag or even "real" 357mag loads

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I'd be up for an IDPA style match, 1911s vs. the field. I'm not running a bone stocker as JMB designed it though with tiny little sights, a hammer that bites your hand, and a grip safety that can chew the webbing of your hand up after a couple hundred rounds.

If we do this, lets make it fair and let the 1911 folks enjoy some benefits of technological advancement, just like the Glock folks. This would include decent sights, beavertail safeties, extended thumb safeties, for the 1911 folks. I'm not talking compensators, or mag well funnels big enough to do an oil drain on a Freightliner. I'm talking just basic mods for a carry gun.

We are getting ahead of ourselves though. With all the people we typically have at the frostbite shoot, I don't see any way such a match could be done there with such a big crowd. It wouldn't be fair for a bunch of us to be monopolizing the pistol range like that.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I'd be up for an IDPA style match, 1911s vs. the field. I'm not running a bone stocker as JMB designed it though with tiny little sights, a hammer that bites your hand, and a grip safety that can chew the webbing of your hand up after a couple hundred rounds.

If we do this, lets make it fair and let the 1911 folks enjoy some benefits of technological advancement, just like the Glock folks. This would include decent sights, beavertail safeties, extended thumb safeties, for the 1911 folks. I'm not talking compensators, or mag well funnels big enough to do an oil drain on a Freightliner. I'm talking just basic mods for a carry gun.

We are getting ahead of ourselves though. With all the people we typically have at the frostbite shoot, I don't see any way such a match could be done there with such a big crowd. It wouldn't be fair for a bunch of us to be monopolizing the pistol range like that.

Probably couldn't get everybody to agree on the match rules by Feb 22:D

Could even open it up the match up beyond Glock vs 1911, maybe Ruger P90 vs 220? Here Siggy, Siggy, Siggy I've got a friend from Prescott that wants to meet you.:lol2: BHP & CZ-75 vs XDm & M&P for the 9mm welterweight crown

Could be a helluva good time if we can workout the details and get past all the B.S.

Last edited:

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I agree, it sounds like great fun. We could possibly have a Maryland Shooters IDPA day down at Delmarva sometime after the big frostbite event. It would be a lot of fun if we could get a dozen or so people to turn out for a friendly handgun competition, and rent out the pistol portion of the range for a day. I wonder if old Zeke would go for that?

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    What about us wheelgunners, I have a trigger that needs to be smoothed out, 2,000 rounds ought to break it in real nice:D

I'll bring my GP-100. We'll run Smith vs. Ruger until.... well probably until one of us runs out of ammo or gets tired of pulling the trigger. Probably be kind of boring after a while... :D

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I agree, it sounds like great fun. We could possibly have a Maryland Shooters IDPA day down at Delmarva sometime after the big frostbite event. It would be a lot of fun if we could get a dozen or so people to turn out for a friendly handgun competition, and rent out the pistol portion of the range for a day. I wonder if old Zeke would go for that?

That sounds like a kick ass idea. I'm in! Hell, I won't even clean the glock inbetween!

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    And what's this I see about you wanting to exchange your guide rod? Would you mind holding off until after the 22nd so we can test one bone-stock brand-new polymer against a bone-stock brand-new 1911?

Or maybe bring the steel replacement with you so you can continue when/if the plastic one breaks?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    And what's this I see about you wanting to exchange your guide rod? Would you mind holding off until after the 22nd so we can test one bone-stock brand-new polymer against a bone-stock brand-new 1911?

Or maybe bring the steel replacement with you so you can continue when/if the plastic one breaks?

Well if you buy a bone stock mil spec, the way JMB designed the gun, w/o a full length guide rod, no beaver tail, no extended controls, no updated/upgraded sights, no trigger job, no match barrel bushing, no tuned extractor & no lowerd and flared ejection port, then I will shoot with a bone stock Glock. :lol2: :D :lol2: :D

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Well if you buy a bone stock mil spec, the way JMB designed the gun, w/o a full length guide rod, no beaver tail, no extended controls, no updated/upgraded sights, no trigger job, no match barrel bushing, no tuned extractor & no lowerd and flared ejection port, then I will shoot with a bone stock Glock. :lol2: :D :lol2: :D

I've got a 14 year old P14 that fits those parameters. Has less than 50 rounds through it (Canuck can verify). I MIGHT be able to be convinced to put it up. As long as someone buys the ammo (they can pull the trigger). And since I'm really a Glock guy, Jeep-feel free to add/hang whatever you want :thumbsup:

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I've got a 14 year old P14 that fits those parameters. Has less than 50 rounds through it (Canuck can verify). I MIGHT be able to be convinced to put it up. As long as someone buys the ammo (they can pull the trigger). And since I'm really a Glock guy, Jeep-feel free to add/hang whatever you want :thumbsup:

Nope, you have to get your ass out there again! Good to have you there last time (I needed your tail gate as bench to fix a AR blown up by unknown reloads, won't make that mistake again :D)

I should have never agreed to the 45 thing, and had stuck to my propossed 9mm Glock part of the origional challenge! My wallet hurts. No wonder I've never been a big 45 fan ! OH well, live and learn !

I wanted to use the ammo & new gun money for a Sure Fire 5.56mm Suppressor ! For now I'll have to live with the knowledge that i proved a point. :innocent0

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007

What's wrong with Glock's manufacturer's options vs. Springfield's manufacturer's options? I think we should get our guns straight from the factory. Bring all the steel replacement parts you think your little plastic toy will need, but at least see how long it takes to break what the tupperware factory sends!

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    What's wrong with Glock's manufacturer's options vs. Springfield's manufacturer's options? I think we should get our guns straight from the factory. Bring all the steel replacement parts you think your little plastic toy will need, but at least see how long it takes to break what the tupperware factory sends!

I am sure the Glock would run just fine with the factory guide rod, all of our rentals have ran fine for years on the origional design factory plastic guide rods. I like the metal guide rods. It's a personal opinion.

All of the options I listed were aftermarket upgrades at one time. The fact that they have made thier way into a production gun dosen't make them 'factory'.

Currently Glock does not feel the need to make these upgrades avaliable as a factory item, however the aftermarket is supporting the gun with these upgrades. The same way the 1911 was supported by the aftermarket in years past and currently.

Funny how a Glock dosen't need multipul part replacment and machining to be upgraded from the origional design, yet the 1911 needs a gun smith with a mill to make the upgrades.

Just saying . . . . . . . .

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    The only point I get out of this thread is that JeepDriver has more money to spend on ammo than the rest of us.

Like I said, if you want to accept I'll show up with 1000 rounds of cast reloads, and a 1911 that isn't out of spec clone junk like you are used to seeing at the shop. ;) 1000 rounds should offer the Glock plenty of opportunities to fail.

I don't want to step on Mr. White Rabbit's toes. If you are interested in doing the full 2000 round challenge then I'll gladly step aside and let you take the lead. I'll even help you load the mags. :)

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The only point I get out of this thread is that JeepDriver has more money to spend on ammo than the rest of us.
    QUOTE]

After getting the bill for all that 45, he probably wished the 2,000 round challenge was between a MKIII and Buckmark:D

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007

Like I said, if you want to accept I'll show up with 1000 rounds of cast reloads, and a 1911 that isn't out of spec clone junk like you are used to seeing at the shop. ;) 1000 rounds should offer the Glock plenty of opportunities to fail.

I don't want to step on Mr. White Rabbit's toes. If you are interested in doing the full 2000 round challenge then I'll gladly step aside and let you take the lead. I'll even help you load the mags. :)

No worries, trbon8r, this isn't a private match between me and JeepDriver, anyone is welcome to bring and shoot whatever they'd like.

I'm still game for the full 2000-round stress test that Jeep suggested - it's a good excuse for me to add a 1911 to my collection and an excellent way to get accustomed to the new addition.

Frankly, my money's on Jeep to win this match. The Glock is designed for harsh environments and while the 1911 is a reliable weapon, I don't see how it can hold up to the dirt as long as the Glock can. I hold no fantasies that I'm actually going to end the day with fewer failures, but at the end of the day, I'll know a lot more about the intricacies of my new acquisition and have a great story to rib Jeep about in the future (or receive ribbing, as the case may be).

Come one, come all. Just count your FTLs and FTEs and we'll compare round counts at the end of the day. Just remember, for 2,000 rounds, Jeep and I (plus anyone who wants to join!) will be firing for almost five hours straight.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Mr. White, I think you are selling your 1911 short. The 1911 was designed for and saw the harshest of environments, including knee deep in mud trench warfare of WW1. If you read some of the tests that were performed during the adoption of the 1911 it might surprise you. Did you know that prior to its adoption the government ran a test 1911 for 6000 rounds without a failure?

Only in recent years has the 1911 developed an undeserved candy assed reputation for being fussy. There were two primary reasons for this. One was trying to overly tighten up the gun to make it a match piece. The other problem was cheapening of the manufacturing process by the clone manufacturers. Even Colt went through some dark days with quality slipping a bit at times.

Keep in mind that a gun made for civilian consumption is not necessarily the same animal as a gun made under government contract with government inspectors gauging and checking parts/guns as they come off the assembly line. Modern day gun manufacturers seem to increasingly pay less attention to quality and let the end user be the "quality control department." Some designs are more tolerant of this than others. The 1911, being a product of the era of hand fitting is not one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom