• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    To potentially knock the cost down, you could always make the rules a single elimination type event. You fire until you have an FTF or FTE. When that happens - you're out. Last one standing wins. I figure that should save the 1911 guys at least 1500-1700 rounds....:D

Now the Glock and Sig crowd might end up in a tie after 2K rounds. Since the firearms are foreign, I propose what any European's would do to break the tie - beer drinking. Most beers consumed wins. Edge....Chad ;)

I like the way you think! You're as twisted as I though you were!

I just can't see blowing 600+ dollars to confirm something I already know.

Just putting my money where my mouth is. I run my mouth a lot too.

I'm willing to spend the money on a new gun (since I don't have a Glock 21) as well as the cost of the ammo.

If I am wrong, I'll never say another negative thing about the 1911 pattern firearm online or at the store. And you know how hard that would be for me to do.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Just putting my money where my mouth is. I'm willing to spend the money on a new gun (since I don't have a Glock 21) as well as the cost of the ammo.

If I am wrong, I'll never say another negative thing about the 1911 pattern firearm online or at the store. And you know how hard that would be for me to do.

It's all good but you and I both know a 1911 can have problems with mags that the others don't as well as them needing to be cleaned and lubed regularly to function properly. I nor any shooter in their right mind can question the reliability of a glock, sig or HK vs a 1911. I will however say that a 1911 can shoot more accurately and be tuned better than any of those other brands. Not knockin your experiment cause it's your money and excuse to buy another pistol, but you already know the outcome.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I can jam a Glock on the first mag, FTF. With a 1911 it'll take a little extra thumb pressure, but I can jam in within 3 mags.

Intentionally jaming a gun is easy. Anyone can make something fail.

Proving reliablity is something that isn't as easily influenced by the shooter.

<snip>

I will however say that a 1911 can shoot more accurately and be tuned better than any of those other brands. Not knockin your experiment cause it's your money and excuse to buy another pistol, but you already know the outcome.

You know I've never said an ill word about the accuracy and ablity to tune a 1911. But that's not how this started.

Again, just putting my money where my mouth is. Maybe I do have an ax to grind against the 1911. There are a lot of 1911 guys who love to tout thier guns reliablity and argue the point. Just giving them a chance to prove thier point, nothing more.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I like the way you think! You're as twisted as I though you were!

This is coming from someone who has 1911's like you have Sig's......

Yeah. Like I believe that would happen.......... If you were REALLLLLLY serious, you should have to sell a Sig and buy a 1911 that you could NEVER sell. How's that?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    OK back from work and catching up . . . . . . . . . .

That alone is almost worth the $600+ ammo costs!

Come on, admit it. You won't have to buy 2000 rounds. Chances are you'll need maybe 800 rounds at the most!

It's only expensive for me !

Can't I shoot 9mm? Do we have a member with a 9mm 1911 ?

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    Jeep,

You're looking to buy a new Glock 21, I'm looking to buy a new 1911. Looks like we may have a match on our hands.

Shall we say pistols at dawn for the group shoot on 22 Feb?
    Who is buying ammo?
    Who is reloading mags while we shoot?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Jeep,

You're looking to buy a new Glock 21, I'm looking to buy a new 1911. Looks like we may have a match on our hands.

Shall we say pistols at dawn for the group shoot on 22 Feb?
    Who is buying ammo?
    Who is reloading mags while we shoot?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I am paying for my own ammo. Mag loading is up to the shooters. I'm a pretty fast mag loader, but I do think we will need someone to help load mags, If I had time I'd have a kid to teach how to carry ammo cans and load mags, but it's a little bit of short notice :lol2:

As most of you know I work for SHA, and since this shoot is Feb 22 there is always a chance that it may snow or ice in February :). If it does don't be pissed if I can't make it !

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    I've pinged the admins to make sure they are on board with our little side wager. We'll have to respect the RSO and such, but that's to be expected.

I'm buying the pistol and extra mags if anyone can assist in loading them. I've never timed it, but I can load a mag, too -- but 2,000 rounds is going to be a pain in the thumb!

I'm also taking donations to defray costs of ammo. :)

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I don't have the money or the desire to buy all the reloading components to burn through 2k rounds of .45 ACP in a day. What I will do is put my Colt 1911 up for a 1000 round challenge. That should leave me ammo poor enough for awhile. :)

I'll shoot my dirty Missouri Bullet Co. semi-wadcutter hard cast reloads. No cleaning of guns, and no excuses.

As far as I'm concerned 1000 rounds proves the same thing as 2000 rounds would. My Colt and your Glock will be filthy, and both will probably still be running come round 1000.

Oh, and as Huckleberry mentioned, if you could scare up 1000 rounds of grungy hard cast 9mm reloads for the Glock that might make things a little more interesting for team Austria. :D

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    What about us wheelgunners, I have a trigger that needs to be smoothed out, 2,000 rounds ought to break it in real nice:D

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    As far as I'm concerned 1000 rounds proves the same thing as 2000 rounds would. My Colt and your Glock will be filthy, and both will probably still be running come round 1000.

Oh, and as Huckleberry mentioned, if you could scare up 1000 rounds of grungy hard cast 9mm reloads for the Glock that might make things a little more interesting for team Austria. :D

Any gun should be able to shoot 1000 rounds w/o cleaning. That's just getting started. Ive been playing with my 2022 recently and I've ran 1200 rounds through her and she still looks clean. That's second 1000 rounds is the test IMO.

It's kinda like cars. Any car can easily do 100,000 miles. Doing the second 100,000 will show true durablity.

No second part reloads in any gun in my hands! I will never shoot ammo loaded by anyone but me. And since I don't reload, I guess I'll never have to suffer from sub-par ammo.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Any gun should be able to shoot 1000 rounds w/o cleaning. That's just getting started. Ive been playing with my 2022 recently and I've ran 1200 rounds through her and she still looks clean. That's second 1000 rounds is the test IMO.

It's kinda like cars. Any car can easily do 100,000 miles. Doing the second 100,000 will show true durablity.

No second part reloads in any gun in my hands! I will never shoot ammo loaded by anyone but me. And since I don't reload, I guess I'll never have to suffer from sub-par ammo.

I guess I don't see what makes 2000 rounds the magic number for testing reliability. By the time any handgun gets to 300-500 rounds it could benefit from a good cleaning and lubing, including Glocks. By the time you've hit 1000 or even 500 trouble free rounds I don't see what else there is to prove. By that point you've proven you have a reliable and capable sidearm that has fired far more rounds without cleaning than it would ever have to in the real world.

Just for grins, if I were a richer man I'd take you up on the 2000 round test. Unfortunately I'm not, and even my el cheapo reloads cost 6 bucks a box. I'm not about to spend $600 on FMJ 230 gr. ball ammo for one day's shooting, which is what I'd want to shoot if I were going to try and go 2000 rounds in a 1911. If I had that kind of money to throw around for a day's shooting, I'd get in the Class III game. ;)

Like I said, if you want to go 1000 rounds I'm game. What do you have to worry about? It's a 1911 and will choke on my dirty reloads long before 1000 rounds right? :evilgrin3

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    How about "Team 625"? - I'll bring my 3" "snubbie", as long as our reloaders don't bend our moons I think we'll smoke everybody:D

worst case we can resort to the pencil extraction method:D I don't have a 625, but UPS permitting, I'm picking up a 610 on friday. That would be intersting putting it up aggainst a GLOCK 20 or 22, KABOOM, and I win, click click, and I lose

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes

But if the driver can't keep it on the blacktop and between the lines then what good is that reliability. A cars durablity only lasts if you don't crash.

No car has won Daytona or Indy because it could go 2,000 miles. Cars win because they run the first 500 miles either the fastest, without breaking or the driver not crashing the car.

This shouldn't just be a test of reliablity, that would like running a race car on a chasis dyno.

This should be a match, a match with "clanging and banging" and counting only 10 ring and Xs. A match that could be lost by a shooter with a Glock because he got a little distracted and "limp wristed" one. 1911 could lose due to a broken extractor or firing pin.

To be fair, keep em Stock. Sorry no after market mods. Run them the way JMB and Gaston designed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom