• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    better link this thread to arfcom, glock talk, and m1911.org.....

no wait NO don't do it until its over since most of the yahoos on those forums will be like BS, BUT BUT BUT, and there will be many bitch fights.... well wait, i dont have to explain, we should all know what will happen

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Well, since my sleep-deprived brain helped start this, I'll put my Springer to the test.

So what are the ground rules other than no cleaning allowed while firing? Factory or reload? If factory, what brand? Who will be shooting? Is it only the people who are supplying the firearms? Finally, and most importantly, who's gonna buy me 2k rds of .45ACP? ;)

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Answering my own questions -

So what are the ground rules other than no cleaning allowed while firing?
    Perhaps run it like the M4 vs. HK416 vs. FN SCAR vs. XM8 dust test (minus the dust, of course)? http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=324325

Factory or reload? If factory, what brand?
    I'm thinking factory for consistency. Otherwise the reloads are going to have to come from the same person/batch. I know a lot of ya are reloading fools, but I doubt any one person wants to do up 4k rds for this challenge.

Who will be shooting? Is it only the people who are supplying the firearms? Finally, and most importantly, who's gonna buy me 2k rds of .45ACP? ;)
    Personally speaking, I can't afford that much unless Smokey and Dan want to sponsor me (though I am willing to sit in a BassTracker wearing RedHead waders, a GC t-shirt and thong, and a MDShooters logo painted on the back of my head in order to defray costs :D). I'm thinking as long as we can get the same brand and weight of ammo, whoever brings some for the challenge is welcome to join in.

Let's have some real fun with this: Glock vs. 1911 vs. Sig vs. XD vs. Hi-Point vs. whatever other semi-auto you can think of. Cost of ammo alone may prevent the full out challenge, but it's a thought.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I'll be shooting Mag Tech. It's what I have the most of.

Since an ammo problem thread is what started this, Pick what ever brand your gun likes.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'll be shooting Mag Tech. It's what I have the most of.

Since an ammo problem thread is what started this, Pick what ever brand your gun likes.

That's fair. Bring whatever your gun shoots best.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm a fan of the 1911 .45, but this isn't even going to be a contest in my opinion. I've got a grand old 1911 .45 that digests most ammo just fine, but I still get misfeeds from time to time, and I would NEVER put it up against a Glock, XD or any Sig - I just don't see how there could be any way it would come out on top.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Remember this is Baltimore and Baltimore does not always go with the "Sure Thing"

Remember '66 World Series Dodgers and Orioles, '71 Series with Orioles and Pirates, Colts and Jets in SB, Whole String of Triple Crown Winners that couldn't get past the Preakness(Remember Big Brown hype?)

I have a boot in both camps since I own G17, G22 and currently on the hunt for a G21SF. I also have 7 1911s or variations.

Each one is unique, I use or have used each one for dedicated purposes. In the Mud Field gun - I go with a Glock. Pin or Bullseye, I favor my 1911s. Does anybody play golf with just one club or driver? I have bet my life on several of my collection and would do so without asking should it be a Glock, 1911 or BHP.

As for 2,000 rounds, I have better things to do with 2,000 rounds than wait for a FTE or FTF. As for challenges, how about 2000 rounds of reloads though a stock Glock? I know that doesn't give me any warm and fuzzy feelings. Also, anything but 230 Ball through some of my 1911s is doomed to failure.

As for wasting money on 2,000 rounds of ammo right when ammo may become a scarce commodity once our new neighbor down in DC moves in on 1/20/09 is a little bit ridiculous. We also have a state legislature ready to gives us a real legislative firefight. How about using all this talk and energy to fire off 2,000 emails and letters to every member of our state legislature and those fine folks on Capitol Hill that seem hellbent to drive this country and our personal freedoms and liberties into the ground.

How about a nice IDPA match? Run what you brung and may the best marksman win. Winner shoots a Glock than Glock is king for the day, if a 1911 wins then so be it until the next match. Have some challenging strings, relays or side matches like shooting Bullseye with that stock Glock or getting that shiny 1911 a little dusty and dirty. You can still have fun, talk your smack and not have to burn up 2,000 rounds to make a point that doesn't really mean doodily squat.

Just my .02

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Herm...

Yall got an author for an article? This sounds like it SHOULD be submitted to a magazine for just a little bit of coverage.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Herm...

Yall got an author for an article? This sounds like it SHOULD be submitted to a magazine for just a little bit of coverage.
    I'll volunteer to write an article - I was never a journalism major, but I would gladly take on the task of putting together an article if this challenge actually comes to fruition.

As for challenges, how about 2000 rounds of reloads though a stock Glock? I know that doesn't give me any warm and fuzzy feelings. Also, anything but 230 Ball through some of my 1911s is doomed to failure.
    Oddly enough, my 1911 (I only have the one) really likes 200 gr lead semi-wad cutter reloads, and shoots those better than some of the 230 gr jacketed RN I have tried. Granted, those were remanufactured, but theoretically it should all be made to the same spec.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I'll volunteer to write an article - I was never a journalism major, but I would gladly take on the task of putting together an article if this challenge actually comes to fruition.

Oddly enough, my 1911 (I only have the one) really likes 200 gr lead semi-wad cutter reloads, and shoots those better than some of the 230 gr jacketed RN I have tried. Granted, those were remanufactured, but theoretically it should all be made to the same spec.
    Oh, I was offering to write an article. :lol: Whatever.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Oh, I was offering to write an article. :lol: Whatever.
    Oops - sorry. That's fine by me - I didn't realize by what you wrote that your intention was to pen the article yourself, only that it should be done, and since I enjoy writing I figured I'd make the offer.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Oops - sorry. That's fine by me - I didn't realize by what you wrote that your intention was to pen the article yourself, only that it should be done, and since I enjoy writing I figured I'd make the offer.
    Well, no reason we couldn't "collaborate" on it, because sometimes I get side tracked with life.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    OK, so it would seem this is going to be a 45 vs 45 thing.

I'm going to have to buy myself a Glock 21SF for this since I don't have a Glock in 45. OH Damn, a new gun, how upsetting! I will say, I am going to install a steel guide rob in the Glock as well as night sights. That will be the only modification I will do to the gun, they are the same one's I have done to my 34, and I feel the steel guide rod is a nessary upgrade for a high volume of fire gun.

I figure that should take 3 to 4 hours with mag changes and reloading to shoot 2000 rounds.

Different shooters are welcome, and quite possibly nessary, But a failure is a failure, no blaming it on a shooter. Misfires don't count since that's an ammo problem, only failuers to feed and extract count against the gun.

so what are you going to do with all that once fired brass:innocent0

Who said there will be brass ?

Maybe I'll keep my Mag Tech and go cheap, I might just show up with Wolf or Blazer ! :lol:

EDIT:

WOW, $607 delivered for 230gr Blazer.

I should have looked at the cost of 45 ammo before proposing this. It's going to cost me more in ammo then buying the gun!

OH well, there is snow coming in and I'm already looking at 20 hours of OT for tomorrow night.

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    i'll throw in 50 bucks...just need 11 more people and it should help you some. we dont need one of our favorite continental workers to take off because he blew out his shoulder working OT at the shop. may ask to throw a few downrange though. never shot a 21 before.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    To potentially knock the cost down, you could always make the rules a single elimination type event. You fire until you have an FTF or FTE. When that happens - you're out. Last one standing wins. I figure that should save the 1911 guys at least 1500-1700 rounds....:D

Now the Glock and Sig crowd might end up in a tie after 2K rounds. Since the firearms are foreign, I propose what any European's would do to break the tie - beer drinking. Most beers consumed wins. Edge....Chad ;)

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    OK, so it would seem this is going to be a 45 vs 45 thing.

OH well, there is snow coming in and I'm already looking at 20 hours of OT for tomorrow night.

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!

Does this mean ammo's on you? sort of an early tax rebate thing? :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom