Tavor or not Tavor..That is the question...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Get something else. Where are you going to get parts when it breaks?

Its another "wonder-gun" that does nothing special over other 30-50 year old platforms.

Get a soone to be BANNED Rifle you can get parts for:
    Direct Impingement AR
    AK 47/74
    HK 91/G3
    AR10/DPMS .308

Seems like good advice. If I can find a Colt SBR will probably go that route. Cheaper and more versatile.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Don't waste your money on such a non versatile weapon. It really is set up for close quarters only. Seems like you have to get a little to close for comfort to be effective. Being practical, go with an AR of some type...10,15, whichever. Whoever is on the receiving end isn't going to stop you to let you know how "cool" your rifle looks. This does not look like a rifle that would be comfortable in the prone position. When you realize that, you will realize that you really overspent....just MHO

So you have never used one?

And why should it be for close quarters only? It still has a 16" barrel. So will shoot the same ammo at the same velocity as a 16" AR.

And with optics, sight radius is not a player.

No reason the Tavor will not perform IDENTICALLY to a 16" barrel AR in most situations. And BETTER in some.

Prone with a long mag may be an issue, but it can be an issue with a long mag in an AR also. There is a reason the AR High Power shooters use a 10 round mag if they can.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    Never fired a Tavor. However I did contemplate the investment and fondled it on several occasions in my buddy's gun shop checking ergonomics. The bottom line is just what you said...prone with a 30 rounder felt unnatural. As mentioned before...IMO...money would be better spent on something in the AR line. The questions in my head when making the decision to spend that much were 1. what does it do that my much cheaper AR15 can't? and 2. if it does anything over and above, is it worth the extra cash? My answers were 1. It does less than the AR (going prone with a 30 is not as easy/natural). 2. Since it does less, why in the world would I pay more? More for less ...not in my house..lol. Just my opinion though. I'm sure if you have the time, you can be efficient with this or any platform. I just prefer "plug & play" so to speak.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It does more in some ways.

Shorter overall, so faster, easier handling in confined areas (home).

And how often will you go prone in HD situation?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The Tavor was designed as a rifle that is better suited for urban combat( CQB/MOUT) than the M4. It is not a tac driver, the M4 is a more accurate gun. But it excels in its intended purpose.

The Tavor is as short as an AK with its stock folded or a 10" AR SBR. Both give up something to get it short( ergonomics or velocity, plus added muzzle blast). the Tavor retains the longer barrel and has excellent ergonomics/ handling.. Especially in cramped spaces.

So, for a CQB\MOUT carbine, it is hard to beat .

JohnnyBmore

This is not a"FREE STATE"
    Feb 3, 2011
    I can't stand ARs (they make no sense to me and seem poorly designed)
    the Tavor feels fine in Prone , and great Everywhere else. Balance is Awesome , and its AOL is perfect for HD, car, or Urban movement .. I can hit targets as fast as I want well over 100 yrds.... and operating the weapon becomes pretty fast a natural quick!!
    Being an AK guy that was always the main draw back for the AR for me .. just does not feel NATURAL ...

So yes I believe this to be the Best Urban or close quarters weapon one could buy ..

On that note I still really like Side folding AKs ....

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    Side folding AKs are awesome! I just picked up my Sig 556R a few weeks ago. I know it's not an AK...I have one of those also, but it's a side folder that shoots the 7.62x39 AK round with less recoil.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I genuinely don't understand the issue with shooting the Tavor from the prone position. From the bench, sure, but prone? Doesn't seem like it should be worse than any other rifle.

As for long range work, the IDF uses TAR-21s with either 3x ACOGs or M21s w/ 3x magnifiers as DMRs, so they seem to think you can get them to acceptable accuracy to 500m.

rcbusmc24

Sep 24, 2013
    Inherent to bullpups in general, any work done will still have to overcome the long trigger linkage, I love my AUG's but even with the work I've had done to them they still equal out to a rather standard AR trigger pull. There will probably be no DMR type package for that gun due to no perceived Israeli Mil need for it. All of their current issue DM rifles are nothing but standard M16's and M4's with standard internals and barrels with nothing more than a fixed 4 power ACOG attached rather than one of their Mepro 21 sights. Any units that are issued Tavors will be likely equipped along the same lines. Any demand for a DMR variant would come entirely from US shooters and they are having a hard time keeping standard models in the stores.

There are several other problems out there with the Tavor that are manifesting themselves if you actually run the gun hard. It really has trouble making it past 200 rounds without a good cleaning/ relubing and will start to have multiple FTE/ FTF at that point.

Of course if you are buying one just cause it's cool and do not ever plan on running it hard then no real problem. Spare parts will be your only problem at that point.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    Personally, I passed.

If you already have every AK, AR-15, M1A etc. you want - go for it. But since the thing is probably going to be available after October 1 in some form, I can't justify spending that kind of $$$ on it right now. As it is, there is stuff I'm not getting and want that is definitely gone after October 1 (e.g. the VEPR in 7.62x54R). When cool stuff like that is not ever going to be in my safe, it is not even hard to pass on stuff I can probably buy at some point down the line.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Personally, I passed.

If you already have every AK, AR-15, M1A etc. you want - go for it. But since the thing is probably going to be available after October 1 in some form, I can't justify spending that kind of $$$ on it right now. As it is, there is stuff I'm not getting and want that is definitely gone after October 1 (e.g. the VEPR in 7.62x54R). When cool stuff like that is not ever going to be in my safe, it is not even hard to pass on stuff I can probably buy at some point down the line.

Thats good advice, I had most of my wishlist and since availability isnt guaranteed and once you get past a 20" barrel the utility wanes. Still love the way it melds with my shoulder, I have had women who were less satisfying than running this thing!

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Eh, ~$1900 is a bit much for a design that doesn't really offer any major improvements over the AR-15 or FN SCAR. And comes with a crap trigger out of the box.

all you need to do is take out the ancillary trigger spring and it works great.

You end up with about a 5.5-7 pound trigger. Still heavy for a rifle, but nowhere near as bad as the 12 pound plus pull you start with.

That atrocious pull is a reliability thing, so that even with crap in the module it will still reset when the rifle cycles.

zombie killer

Sep 11, 2013
    I was straddling the fence for a while but I went for it and hopefully pick up my Hebrew hammer early next week!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This does not look like a rifle that would be comfortable in the prone position.

And your eyes are WRONG. I just got to play with a Tavor and tried prone, WITH a 30 round magazine, and NO PROBLEM. Looks like a 40 would work also. Longer than that might be an issue. But it is an issue with an AR also.

Think about it, the action is about the same height above ground on the AR and Tavor in the same shooting position.

It is bullpup and SHORTER, the action is not at the bottom of the rifle.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Bullpup with balls. Whats not to like?

Attachments

• tav3.jpg
      tav3.jpg
      70.4 KB · Views: 128

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Holy crap this gun is sweet...

Picked mine up yesterday and I have to say it far exceeded my expectations. Will try some run-n-gun with it next weekend. I think it will do great.

The ergo and size make it fit perfectly and points naturally.

And for those with the prone issue- why don't you just use a 20 rounder when shooting prone?

I have other guns for the long long shots, but I think this will do great at everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom