Tavor or not Tavor..That is the question...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There's no top rail on the 9mm barrel assembly. Unless you're running the IDF model, you need to swap the top rail simply so you've got sights to shoot it with. (Although I guess you could get another Mepro 21 with a Tavor mount?)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    There's no top rail on the 9mm barrel assembly. Unless you're running the IDF model, you need to swap the top rail simply so you've got sights to shoot it with. (Although I guess you could get another Mepro 21 with a Tavor mount?)

Ill have to look at this more closely next time I have it out, I am going to try to wait it out to see if the price settles down a little.

Usually when I do that I get screwed, but I never learn!

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I havent tried taking the barrel out on mine yet but my understanding is you dont need to remove the rail on the 16" model, only tyhe 18" to clear the bayo. That said I hear you, I buy a lot of conversion kits and do very little converting! But 9mm in this would be a spectacular gun (and frankly a very good home defense platform).

What sucks is we now need to meet the 26" rule, or I would have bought a second one and left it in 9mm and used the other stuff for replacement parts.

The 9mm is 17" so its going to need a good 1.5" or so of flashider to be legal on a post "SB281" Tavor.

That said I still have to have this and plan on getting the 18" tavor with its "slightly" longer flashider to maintain compliance if when Duffy's gets an FDE model in and my wallet is fat happen to coincide.

Second Opinions? Does adding a 9mm barrel to a pre 11/1 Tavor qualify as "manufacturing" a new under-OAL firearm or simply "replacing" an exact length barrel on a pre 11/1 that one legally possesses?

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Second Opinions? Does adding a 9mm barrel to a pre 11/1 Tavor qualify as "manufacturing" a new under-OAL firearm or simply "replacing" an exact length barrel on a pre 11/1 that one legally possesses?

This is no different than swapping a upper on a preban AR lower, so you would be fine...

Also, Aimsurplus has these kits in stock now but no ship to Maryland...

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    This is no different than swapping a upper on a preban AR lower, so you would be fine...

Also, Aimsurplus has these kits in stock now but no ship to Maryland...

Well, not to muck it up too much, but any pre-ban upper is over the OAL minimum or it is NFA. So any AR barrel swap is either over the OAL or I have to get the stamp.

With the Tavor, folks are in possession of a rifle that no longer meets the length requirements for purchases and are grandfathered in.

So……….swapping a barrel creates…what?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well, not to muck it up too much, but any pre-ban upper is over the OAL minimum or it is NFA. So any AR barrel swap is either over the OAL or I have to get the stamp.

With the Tavor, folks are in possession of a rifle that no longer meets the length requirements for purchases and are grandfathered in.

Nothing. All the factory Tavors are < 29" OAL.

Now, if you had a post-10/1 purchased Tavor with extended FH and wanted to use the 9mm kit, you'd need to stick something permanently on the 9mm barrel to get the completed gun past 29" OAL.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Nothing. All the factory Tavors are < 29" OAL.

Now, if you had a post-10/1 purchased Tavor with extended FH and wanted to use the 9mm kit, you'd need to stick something permanently on the 9mm barrel to get the completed gun past 29" OAL.

This is what I was referring to

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD

Yeah you did muck it up! No one mentioned NFA, my comment was to make a comparison as it relates to the Tavor and since the Tavor 9mm conversion comes with a 17" barrel NFA is not relevant. Lets keep it simple please, the topic is a non nfa rifle swapping calibers!

the exact same rifle, but in a different caliber!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Tavor does make a MD complaint version that is 30" long....

I figured that would come along soon enough, I would rather pay for extra barrel instead of extra flashider (though the 18.5"s with a little extra flashider doesnt look bad, the 16"s look horrible)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

Ya I was thinking about this, if i could get an extra mount I would just set it up with a separate optic so I didnt have to play switcheroo and zero.

I always find conversion kits insanely appealing but rarely end up using them just because of the pain/time (accept AR's but thats super easy to swap uppers). At least with the tavor there shouldnt be a lot of risk in tear-down etc/wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom