Votes: 105 82.0%
    • SR9

Votes: 23 18.0%

• Total voters

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Ive own a sr40c and have owned a m&p 9, the trigger on the ruger was much better than the m&p. The m&p was mushy and the reset wasnt even noticeable. Ergos go to the m&p but the ruger wasnt that bad... It was a compact and the m&p wasnt so not really fair. I shot them both pretty well, neither had any issues... You couldnt go wrong with either.

Btw i picked up my sr40c for $400, the m&p was $520

Install (or at least fingerbang) any one of the various Apex Tactical trigger sets in an M&P and let me know what you think of the Ruger after that.

There's a reason you see a lot of competitive shooters moving to the M&P as well. They are IMO the Glock for people who don't like Glocks. I'm invested in the Glock pistols (have several mags, tons of holsters that will fit the 9mm/.40 S&W/.357 SIG guns, completed the Glock Armorer's Course) so I haven't been an M&P owner at all, but I believe while the M&P could use some improvement out of the box (grip texture sucks as well) - it's a viable contender as a duty or competition gun. I can truly say I've seen the Rugers and my evaluation as a gunsmith is that they aren't as good. That is my opinion though, so take it with a grain of salt as I'm sure you will. ;)

Last edited:

Ppat

Jun 2, 2012
    Install (or at least fingerbang) any one of the various Apex Tactical trigger sets in an M&P and let me know what you think of the Ruger after that.

There's a reason you see a lot of competitive shooters moving to the M&P as well. They are IMO the Glock for people who don't like Glocks. I'm invested in the Glock pistols (have several mags, tons of holsters that will fit the 9mm/.40 S&W/.357 SIG guns, completed the Glock Armorer's Course) so I haven't been an M&P owner at all, but I believe while the M&P could use some improvement out of the box (grip texture sucks as well) - it's a viable contender as a duty or competition gun. I can truly say I've seen the Rugers and my evaluation as a gunsmith is that they aren't as good. That is my opinion though, so take it with a grain of salt as I'm sure you will. ;)

I understand the apex trigger kits are very popular and all, i havent shot one but i have heard they are great... But most people dont want to buy a gun then have to spend more money for the trigger they want... (one reason why i now own a PPQ). So for me, in my opinion i think the ruger has a better trigger. But my opinion is useless, everyone is different, and one guns trigger can feel very different to two different people.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I understand the apex trigger kits are very popular and all, i havent shot one but i have heard they are great... But most people dont want to buy a gun then have to spend more money for the trigger they want... (one reason why i now own a PPQ). So for me, in my opinion i think the ruger has a better trigger. But my opinion is useless, everyone is different, and one guns trigger can feel very different to two different people.

Gotcha. Yeah personally I hated them. But I love the PPQ. It's the not-so-poor man's H&K P30. The First Edition ones were badass. Wish I could have picked one up when they were released.

I know I was hating on Ruger's centerfire semi-autos, but they do make good stuff. A 10/22 Takedown is on my semi-short list lol.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Just picked up mine :D

Attachments

• 20120617_194443-1.jpg
      20120617_194443-1.jpg
      74.7 KB · Views: 103

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    I can truly say I've seen the Rugers and my evaluation as a gunsmith is that they aren't as good. That is my opinion though, so take it with a grain of salt as I'm sure you will.

Just out of curiosity what is it about them that you found to be sub-standard? I've got a Glock 26 and an SR40 and from the end-user's point of view I find them similar in some ways: very high level of mechanical reliability (no failures on the SR40 in 3K rounds), decent but not match accuracy, typical striker triggers, can feed a wide variety of ammo, etc.

Not being argumentative, just curious where the failure of the gun lies, as it isn't apparent to me from a shooter's perspective.

Gundahar

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom