Votes: 105 82.0%
    • SR9

Votes: 23 18.0%

• Total voters

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Which is the better pistol??? Cost wise they are about the same. If I had to choose between these too...Not an option is Glock, FNP, H&K etc etc

-If you had $475 to spend, which pistol would you chose and why?
    -Which has a better package as far as mags and accessories in the basic package?
    -Which has a better trigger?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The M&P has more accessories available than the SR9. The only holster I could find for the SR9 last year was the Serpa. Magazine availability is higher for the M&P as well. S&W is seriously behind the M&P for competitions, too. But have you tried shooting either of them yet? I loved the grips on the SR9, did not like the M&Ps.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I've never even seen the SR9, let alone fired one. But I have two M&Ps, so I voted for the Smith.

I think the Ruger is a shade bigger. I vote against the mag safety , and I'm leary of the manual safety, too. I think Ruger copied the trigger safety from the Glock though. That was smart. I think Smith's version of the trigger safety is less safe than Glock's.

The Smith has a lot of aftermarket support, but the Ruger is new- there should be more accessories, holsters, etc in time.

I'm just not a big Ruger fan. I have a couple of their products, and they're okay. There is something blah about them though. A certain lack of je ne sais quois, you know. Like there's no there there.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    M&P by far is the more proven platform as far as instructor/competition endorsement and actual use by police/military.

S&W also seems to be standing behind the platform and devoting resources to improving the design (upgrading striker and extractor design, etc.)

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    M&P is more adaptable with backstraps. I really like the trigger on the M&P, even before I had the new spring and reset kit put in it. Out of the box the SR9 just seems real stiff and gritty. I think the factory sights on the M&P are better and no safety.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If you're not going to own the Glock, you may as well go with the company that tried to copy it. M&P it is.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That was the Sigma, although the M&P still has some areas where one could make that assertion.

But look at it this way, is S&W paying Glock because of the M&P, I think not...

Jack Gordon

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2011
    Places Unknown
    There's small things on pistols that ruin it for me. With the Sr9, #1 is that godawful loaded chamber indicator sticking out of the slide. It just looks sooooo cheesey. I understand some may like it or maybe not even notice it but i do. #2 isn't a huge thing, but manual thumb safetys aren't for me either. I don't own an m&p yet but a 9mm fullsize will probably be my next purchase.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Never fired or even held the Ruger.

But I'm such a MP fanboi that I went ahead and voted for them.

I own both a compact and a full size MP40 and will likely add a MP9 full size shortly as I want a 9mm handgun.

My full size is an early model without any of the upgraded features.

I have almost 500 rounds through it without issue.

My Compact is also an early model without any changed parts. It's over 600 rounds without issue.

I like them.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    FPS, I have a 9mm M&P Pro. If you want to try it, you supply the ammo and you can shoot it at either Free State or Continental.

I want two more S&W M&P's.

I'll buy Ruger wheel guns and .22 handguns, not 9mm pistols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom