• Which is the better 9mm Pistol??

• M&P9

Votes: 105 82.0%
    • SR9

Votes: 23 18.0%

• Total voters

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    why so much hate on the sr9 ? i happen to like it alot fits me like a glove , havent manged to fire or even hold a m&p, im sure its a great gun but jeez so little love for a great american made handgun bewilders me, i suppose im one of the few outlaws on the forum thatll stand by the sr9 with my life which may mean jack to yall but means everything to me.

One of the weird things about internet forums--ask which gun(s) are the most underrated, and you will get Rugers coming up all over the place. Do a google search to see this for yourself.

But do a "this gun or that gun" thread, and the Ruger will never be recommended. (well, revolvers will)

I do always give Ruger a look-see first, simply because they are an true American company, and not simply incorporated in America. They do historically emphasize reliability over fit and finish, and the designers seem to be restricted by fairly severe price points. But the low price point is probably why they can sell so many units, and make their profits. /shrug

I have no doubt the SW M&P is a good gun, but since I don't own one yet, I can't really give an educated pro's and con's between the two. But I can tell you that I am really enjoying my SR40, and am 1.2K rounds in so far, and for the price, would definitely buy one again. Actually, for a .40 in particular, I think Ruger may have knocked it out of the park with this one, due to shooting characteristics of the gun that seem to completely eliminate the "snap". WAY less muzzle flip than the XD40, for instance.

Practically every review on the SR9 or SR9c is glowing, so its not like they made a pile of dog-poo. I'd say the only way to tell which you prefer is to find a range where you can rent both, and give them some quality time.

Gundahar

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I voted for the SR9 because I think you'll like the ergos but in all reality the M&P is a fine weapon and it's astounding aftermarket support will serve you better.

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    I have never fired the Ruger but it certainly is a nice looking handgun. I own two M&Ps and will get a third in 45ACP at some point. Like many others have said, shoot them both and decide.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    One of the weird things about internet forums--ask which gun(s) are the most underrated, and you will get Rugers coming up all over the place. Do a google search to see this for yourself.

But do a "this gun or that gun" thread, and the Ruger will never be recommended. (well, revolvers will)

I do always give Ruger a look-see first, simply because they are an true American company, and not simply incorporated in America. They do historically emphasize reliability over fit and finish, and the designers seem to be restricted by fairly severe price points. But the low price point is probably why they can sell so many units, and make their profits. /shrug

I have no doubt the SW M&P is a good gun, but since I don't own one yet, I can't really give an educated pro's and con's between the two. But I can tell you that I am really enjoying my SR40, and am 1.2K rounds in so far, and for the price, would definitely buy one again. Actually, for a .40 in particular, I think Ruger may have knocked it out of the park with this one, due to shooting characteristics of the gun that seem to completely eliminate the "snap". WAY less muzzle flip than the XD40, for instance.

Practically every review on the SR9 or SR9c is glowing, so its not like they made a pile of dog-poo. I'd say the only way to tell which you prefer is to find a range where you can rent both, and give them some quality time.

Gundahar

Yup. In the back of people's minds, there is still a bias against Ruger for a variety of reasons. I know some people who will never buy a Ruger because of "The Ruger Letter", even though the author is long dead and the company has obviously steered in a different direction. Ruger's renowned durability and ruggedness often comes at the expense of weight and often includes unnecessary "extras" (lawyer triggers, loaded chamber indicators, etc.) and that's another turn-off for people.

But if you need a gun that will absolutely, positively go "BANG" every time you pull the trigger, will stand up to tons of abuse, and won't break the bank, Rugers are generally a hard choice to ignore.

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    I know this is a old thread but still relevant for me i picked the m&p purley for slightly better quality because i that is what i thought you were looking for. But imho i like the sr9 better. So my preferance is the sr9 but both are very close for me

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    It seems to me that the knowledge in this thread is very slim when it comes to the sr9. The sr9's trigger and sights are miles better then the m&p. The saftey on the sr9 is very sturdy, the grip of the m&p is slightly better but the sr9 feels amazing in the hands also.

I really dont think you should have anything to say about a gun if you have never touched it let alone seen it, or even shot it, just say you have no opinion on it

As for the loaded indicator, take it out and grind the tooth down a little or all the way simple fix for an amazing gun. i have shot both of these guns and am going to again to make my choice on which one i want because i have gotten past the hole m&p has more accessories thing its is now down to what is more fun for me to shoot what will i bring to the range more.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Glad to see the poll results. This really shouldn't even be a question. M&Ps are pretty legit. When's the last time you saw a Ruger semi-auto in a cop's holster?

I'm sorry but I've never seen a Ruger centerfire semi-auto I didn't absolutely hate. Un-ergonomic, cheaply made, and as far as I can recall virtually every one they've made has been recalled for one reason or another.

Ruger really isn't a company known for innovation. I think all of their guns are rip-offs of something else. I would go on and I know a lot of people like Ruger but IMO they suck.

ETA: Holy Zombie Thread. Still. Screw Ruger.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Strange to me that Ruger makes some great guns, and my favorite revolver (GP100), but they've never made a pistol that I've liked.

Granted, I've never shot the SR9 and just handling it, seems like the best they've made so far. Like some car company's do, I think Ruger needs a pistol image change and make something first class. While many other company's are skimping and making ever cheaper (in price and quality) pistols, Ruger could change the paradigm by making a fantastic pistol by cutting their margin and restoring faith in the Ruger name.

(sorry I think I just kinda bashed Ruger by rooting for them) :)

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    I have never fired either one but I ordered the SR9 from Bud's today! After doing some research and fondling both, the SR9 just seems a better fit for me.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    After holding both, I went with the SR9.

I must say that it is, by far, the most comfortable pistol I've ever held. Its thin profile fits my (admittedly small) hands like a glove. I also shoot it very accurately.

That said, the loaded chamber indicator is pretty ridiculous and I'm not a fan of mag disconnect safeties. I actually dont mind manual safeties (it was a selling point for my wife in this particular case) and feel that the SR9 safety is designed well.

The gun has been 100% reliable with several hundred rounds through it. I only cleaned it once (when I first got it), so I would say it has impressive reliability so far.

Not knocking the M&P at all; just dont think the SR9 gets enough love. Hold one and you may be converted!

SR9 was also a good bit cheaper; I found mine for ~380 shipped online.

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    Does any department use the SR9?

Might be a reason other than better marketing.

have you actually looked into most deparments requirments for a handgun?

because the number one reason it will not be used by a deparment is because of the manual saftey. also my father inlaw's deparment allows them to buy what they like as long as it is on there list and three of the guys there carry a sr40 my father inlaw carries a kimber ultra.

it has nothing to do with reliability it has to do with, ruger needs to come out with a safteyless sr9 and i will bet that more deparments will pick it up. :D

research........

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Well the poll results are pretty telling...

The M&P9 is on my wish-list now, along with a XDm

Last edited:

Ppat

Jun 2, 2012
    Ive own a sr40c and have owned a m&p 9, the trigger on the ruger was much better than the m&p. The m&p was mushy and the reset wasnt even noticeable. Ergos go to the m&p but the ruger wasnt that bad... It was a compact and the m&p wasnt so not really fair. I shot them both pretty well, neither had any issues... You couldnt go wrong with either.

Btw i picked up my sr40c for $400, the m&p was $520

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom