Shotgun In The Trunk - How Much Trouble Will I Get In To?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Can anyone cite the law that states that keeping an unloaded long-gun in the trunk of a car is illegal.

They can't, because there is none.

OP, also bear in mind any local ordinances. Baltimore, Rockville, and Leonardtown are the three cities in Maryland that have casing ordinances. while the penalties may not be heavy, you will still lose your gun.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• dnr.JPG
      dnr.JPG
      123.8 KB · Views: 1,033
    Good to go in Baltimore city as well. Note the bolded parts

§ 59-1 Carrying long-barrel firearms.

(a) Carrying prohibited — in general.

(1)It shall be unlawful for any person to carry in any vehicles or about his person, except in his
    place of abode, fixed place of business, target range, gun show, historic reenactment, or civic
    event held on a National Monument or a Historic Shrine or parade for which a permit has
    been obtained, any rifle, shotgun or other firearm the barrel of which is over 14 inches in
    length.

(2)Provided that this subsection shall not apply to:

(i)marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies while in the performance
    of their official duty;

(ii)policemen or other law enforcement officers;

(iii) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard or
    organized reserves when on duty;

(iv) holders of special police commissions issued under Title 4, Subtitle 9, of Article 41
    of the Maryland Code, while actually on duty on the property for which the
    commission was issued or while traveling to or from such duty;

(v)uniformed security guards, special railway police, and watchmen who have been
    cleared for such employment by the appropriate governmental agency, while in the
    course of their employment or while traveling to or from the place of employment;

(vi) guards in the employ of a bank, savings and loan association, building and loan
    association, or express or armored car agency, while in the course of their
    employment or while traveling to or from the place of employment;

(vii) manufacture, transportation, or sale of weapons to persons authorized under law to
    possess such under the laws of the United States;

(viii) transportation of firearms unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or rack designed
    for that purpose;

(ix) antique firearms, meaning:

(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion
    cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and

(B) any replica of any firearm described in subitem (A) if such replica:

1.is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional
    centerfire fixed ammunition; or

2.uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no
    longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily
    available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

(b) Carrying prohibited — intent to commit crime.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry in any about his person any rifle, shotgun, or other
    firearms the barrel of which is over 14 inches in length with the intent to use the rifle, shotgun, or
    other firearm in the commission of a crime against the person or property of another.

(c) Penalties.

Any violation of the provisions of this section shall be deemed a misdemeanor, subject upon
    conviction to a fine of not more than $500 or to imprisonment for not longer than 60 days or to
    both fine and imprisonment, in the discretion of the Court.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    Never ask a cop what's legal... they are not required to know the laws, and most don't.

Look it up yourself if you don't want to pay an attorney. Most simple law questions are easy to find the relevant statutes for, in the Google age.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    As for the OPs plan:

-moisture is going to be the enemy of any gun carried in the trunk. Unless you want to check/clean it on a weekly basis, pack it in a watertight sock with a desiccant pack
    - keep the ammo separate, use hunting ammo, keep it in the box with the antlers or birds on it
    - use a cheap field shotgun in case it gets stolen/confiscated

Remember to stay out of DC. Don't speed in school zones. Shut up. Don't consent to a search.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    Understand about corrosion. The pump is a cheapo RIA M5 with nickel finish. Looks like a marine finish.

If the ammo is in a side pocket of the case am I good??

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

Legally: absolutely
    Cosmetically: less so.

Keeping them completely separate doesn't limit you in any way and can reduce the chance of someone's heart rate going up when they find gun and ammo together.

H&J Legacy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    It's legal if not loaded, meaning an empty chamber AND Magazine tube. But how would anyone know it's in the trunk?

keep your mouth closed. don't consent to a search

/thread

Got mixed responses. Not illegal but got lots on emphasis on the firearm not being loaded, both firearm and loaded mags must be inside their respective lockable hard case. One responded with a tip to include a 2A booklet or leaflet inside each lockable hard case.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Got mixed responses. Not illegal but got lots on emphasis on the firearm not being loaded, both firearm and loaded mags must be inside their respective lockable hard case. One responded with a tip to include a 2A booklet or leaflet inside each lockable hard case.

They are confusing interstate transport rules called FOPA. If the OP is planning on interstate travel, he will have to abide by that as well.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville

I believe you are mixing up a couple of different concepts here -- handgun transport which requires an enclosed holster and the interstate rules for transport which requires lockable and separate ammo.

Someone can correct me, but I don't believe long gun requires a locked case or separate ammo, just not loaded.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    RIA M5 nickel

Understand about corrosion. The pump is a cheapo RIA M5 with nickel finish. Looks like a marine finish.

I have the same one. Cheapo in price but I like it a lot. Got it off of galleryofguns.com and had it sent to United Gun Shop about a year ago.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I had this M5 for a few years and never fired it. I'm gonna fix that ASAP. It looks and feels pretty smooth!! Hell, for $200 it feels like a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom