Shotgun In The Trunk - How Much Trouble Will I Get In To?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Also look up laws for use of force....it'll be hard to think of a scenario in which an unloaded Shotgun in the trunk would be legal to use.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Also look up laws for use of force....it'll be hard to think of a scenario in which an unloaded Shotgun in the trunk would be legal to use.

Or a tire iron in the trunk.
    If you're in the car, drive away.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

It would have to be something that builds over time and leaves you cornered.

Stuck in Baltimore on the day of the Goodson acquittal is the only one I could think of.

Dec 31, 2012

I believe this falls into the SHTF category of use, otherwise I agree there's no practical way you're going to justify using it in this state.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

Stuck in Baltimore on the day of the Goodson acquittal is the only one I could think of.

Anytime travel is restricted would be a good time to use it. Think gridlock, road blocks, or traveling to or from car (ex. parking lot) or some psycho shooting people in an open area. Any one of those situations could build your defense up. Overall your car if not mechanically disabled should be used to attempt to flee or engage first (think run the bad guy over) and then if necessary pop the trunk/reach behind the seat.

OP a friend of mine uses a shotgun as a trunk gun and what he does is use velcro shotgun cards. These act as shell carriers that secure with Velcro (or if you're tactical hook and loop) to the reciever of the shotgun so even though the shotgun is unloaded, it has ammo on board and ready to use. He keeps two other velcro cards near the gun with carabiners so he can place them on his belt if he has time.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    Man, nothing is simple in good ol' Maryland! I appreciate all of the feedback. Now I'm thinking about whether to do it or not based on all of the possible shitty things that can happen.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Can anyone cite the law that states that keeping an unloaded long-gun in the trunk of a car is illegal.

You are looking at it from the wrong perspective. What you want, but won't receive, is a cite to why it is illegal.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If your LE friends tell you it's illegal, please ask them for a cite of the statute. The only statute is in the DNR regs and all it prohibits is loaded long guns IN or ON a vehicle. Unloaded not prohibited therefor legal

I'll find the statute
    ^^ this.. except a pistol, it is perfectly legal to carry a long gun or shotgun, unloaded (including any ammo in a mag in the gun) in your vehicle.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

yup. Another situation would be if there was a road-based disruptive terror attack. Imagine if a team of 4 worked a bridge. 2 lead cars stop just before getting off the bridge, with two trail cars just approaching. They could essentially work from outside to the middle and kill anyone in between relatively easy. You see how disruptive some BLM idiots can be when just whining in traffic... an attack like this in a gun-free state like md, with all the DC and NSA traffic could be a big deal.

...again though, this would be a VERY rare type of attack. If someone is carrying a gun in their car to have relatively available in the case of an active shooter(appalacian law-school), maryland laws make it difficult to help. A long-gun makes it difficult to help without getting off'd by any responding LEOs. For most all other threats, there's no stand-your-ground law here or castle doctrine outside of your home. You'd have to argue why it was impossible to just run-away. Kind've hard to say you didn't have time to run away if you had time to grab a gun from the trunk, load it, and then engage the threat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom