Shotgun In The Trunk - How Much Trouble Will I Get In To?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    yup. Another situation would be if there was a road-based disruptive terror attack. Imagine if a team of 4 worked a bridge. 2 lead cars stop just before getting off the bridge, with two trail cars just approaching. They could essentially work from outside to the middle and kill anyone in between relatively easy. You see how disruptive some BLM idiots can be when just whining in traffic... an attack like this in a gun-free state like md, with all the DC and NSA traffic could be a big deal.

...again though, this would be a VERY rare type of attack. If someone is carrying a gun in their car to have relatively available in the case of an active shooter(appalacian law-school), maryland laws make it difficult to help. A long-gun makes it difficult to help without getting off'd by any responding LEOs. For most all other threats, there's no stand-your-ground law here or castle doctrine outside of your home. You'd have to argue why it was impossible to just run-away. Kind've hard to say you didn't have time to run away if you had time to grab a gun from the trunk, load it, and then engage the threat.
    Harbor tunnel would be even better than a bridge. If you weren't the lead car you would have time to access a long gun and shoot back. You can't back up so retreat won't be an option.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Got mixed responses. Not illegal but got lots on emphasis on the firearm not being loaded, both firearm and loaded mags must be inside their respective lockable hard case. One responded with a tip to include a 2A booklet or leaflet inside each lockable hard case.
    Sorry I call BS on that one. No such requirement for long guns, only requirement is the previously noted one about it being unloaded.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I carry a cased and unloaded AR in my trunk every day. F a shotgun.. Mags are loaded too.

This is perfectly legal.

Also look up laws for use of force....it'll be hard to think of a scenario in which an unloaded Shotgun in the trunk would be legal to use.

It would be hard to think of a scenario where I would need to get a gun out of my trunk where I would give a sh1t about it being legal. Just saying.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Not a bad choice but I suck with leverguns and question how fast I could load it under stress. Bonus points is that it's 50 state legal. Also, I hate buckhorn sights, much prefer a peep sight.

A 1-4 scope is the remedy for the buckhorn. Cuzz the stock iron sights are hard to use. Especially with aging eyes.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    This is perfectly legal.

It would be hard to think of a scenario where I would need to get a gun out of my trunk where I would give a sh1t about it being legal. Just saying.
    :lol: true, true. It is worth knowing the law still though so you can defend yourself properly against threats of violence AND legal threats.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    There's always a chance you will get a call from a friend to shoot some clays. Just like the SP told me about my permit, if you THINK you are going to do business, you can carry. Straight from the asses horse, I mean the horses ass, I mean mouth.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I carry a cased and unloaded AR in my trunk every day. F a shotgun..

Mags are loaded too.

I sometimes leave an M1 Garand in my truck for days on end, along with range gear, in case I want to stop at the range after work. Perfectly legal as long as I stay away from D.C.

But "F a shotgun." It's hard to imagine a shotgun being preferred over a rifle in any scenario mentioned. (I have often thought of the bridge or harbor tunnel scenario.) You need to be well within rock throwing distance for buckshot to be any good, and slugs aren't much better.

I'd prefer just about any rifle. The 336 isn't bad really, but an SKS and a chicom chest rig full of quality stripper clips would be a lot better. Clandestine's AR is probably adequate, as long as the bad guy doesn't duck behind a sapling... And of course, my Garand with a bandoleer full of en bloc clips can turn most cover into mere concealment at 300 yards and a lot more if it comes to that, halfway down the bridge.

Don't carry ammo in the little pocket on the zipper case. Get some kind of shoulder bag, chest rig, or bandoleer, something easy to grab and wear, or at least toss over your shoulder. Clip a pair of electronic earmuffs on the shoulder strap. And if you have some targets, you can always stop at the range after work if you have a spare hour.

This is all legal, but don't expect every LEO to know that. Assume they may confiscate the gun and hold you until someone else makes a decision. Also, I believe admitting there is a firearm in the vehicle is probable cause for a search, even without a warrant, so just don't admit there is any weapon in your car.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Here is a page from the MD DNR. Notice it only PROHIBITS loaded long guns IN or ON a vehicle. Therefore since an unloaded gun is not prohibited, it's legal. The rules come from the statute.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/general-hunting-regulations/

OK suppose for a minute you think you are safe carrying a "Hunting Shotgun" in your truck...

IF I were the cop & had occasion to stop you & look in your trunk, I ask you 2 things:
    #1. What game is in legal season in June at 10PM..???
    #2 Let me see your Merry-Land Hunting License...
    #3. And you'd say..???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom