• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    So why are they using the copycat rifle tests on an SBR if they call them pistols in the same document?

The only copycat pistol test is see is if it has a fixed magazine of > 10 rounds.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Because the definition of SBR includes the word rifle. Idiotic, but here we are.

Here is my reading of that. Rifle is a defined term. Short-barreled rifle is a defined term that is a subset of specific types of rifles, but are statutorily included in the definition of handgun and excluded from the general definition of rifles.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    If they are going to say a short barrel anything is a handgun (MD Law) and is also subject to the copycat tests of a rifle then all handguns should be subject to that same test in which they will all fail.

aaronn

Aug 8, 2013
    Baltimore
    I spent some time this morning on this topic. IAAL, but not this type of lawyer, generally. I'm still trying to understand why I can't SBR my post 10/1 dedicated 9mm AR down to 25.5" OAL. It shouldn't fall under the purview of copycat, and I don't have to worry about the roster if it's for personal use. Not an ALG either, from what I understand. What am I missing?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I spent some time this morning on this topic. IAAL, but not this type of lawyer, generally. I'm still trying to understand why I can't SBR my post 10/1 dedicated 9mm AR down to 25.5" OAL. It shouldn't fall under the purview of copycat, and I don't have to worry about the roster if it's for personal use. Not an ALG either, from what I understand. What am I missing?

I also have no idea how they think the copycat test applies. Except for OAL, I do not see any issue with what you proposed. Form 4s are what get the big ole screw you with this, Form 1s much less so.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I also have no idea how they think the copycat test applies. Except for OAL, I do not see any issue with what you proposed. Form 4s are what get the big ole screw you with this, Form 1s much less so.

The OAL doesn't apply to a handgun either

aaronn

Aug 8, 2013
    Baltimore
    Exactly. The only issue is MSP interpretation on that right now.

I thought <26" isn't a problem.

ERWOS stated upthread that any post 10/1 receiver would be banned from being an SBR, that's why I asked. I have a feeling we're just talking past each other.

Jul 23, 2013
    I don't understand why the police and political leadership of this state don't start tackling and providing assets to areas of the state besieged by crime.

Instead they target the group of citizens that by in large are the most law abiding group in the country.

Crazy stuff but the liberal's mind has never been their strong point.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I don't understand why the police and political leadership of this state don't start tackling and providing assets to areas of the state besieged by crime.

Instead they target the group of citizens that by in large are the most law abiding group in the country.

Crazy stuff but the liberal's mind has never been their strong point.

They don't want to do away with crime. It is the impetus in their quest for control by the continued infringements on the rights of law abiding citizens.

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Welp, guess ill have to wait on all that till I can find a new place out side of the state till I can buy the fun toys again. I have been seeing all the help the NRA has been doing during this.....oh wait there hasn't been any help. Thanks NRA you losers, Ill let the SAF use my money. Its just like NY all over again :/. Thanks MSP for upholding my constitutional....oh nvm you don't give a shit about your oath to protect anyone's rights.

SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    I start with a handgun on the Handgun Roster. I add a stock. Then suddenly it becomes a center fire rifle subject to Copycat provisions. Then magically, somehow, it turns back into a handgun when I am transporting and/or selling it. Sorry Charlie it can’t be both ways. It’s either a handgun or a rifle, not both. MSP has no business taking the most restrictive language from all the laws and applying it in this manner. It’s overstepping and …, well I won’t say any more.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I have been seeing all the help the NRA has been doing during this.....oh wait there hasn't been any help.

Except, for, you know, the liaisons that they had working with us in the state house right up until the final votes.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    5.56, yes. .300 and 7.62x39, no. (Well, Omega supposedly makes one for 7.62x39, but I've never seen it for sale.)

Wouldn't a 5.56 work in a .300 BLK? Since the brass is made from 5.56, it just might fit. Does it have to be specifically approved?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Don't think so. The 300 blk bore is essentially .30 caliber, while the 5.56 is about .22. Would be a less than snug fit IMO.

The case is necked down. Bore sizes are different, even with almost identical chambers..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom