• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Well, I'm incredibly lazy and/or stupid, the only thing that would really bother me at a gun shop is if some other guy was looking over a firearm, glanced over at me, squared up and then aimed the gun at me like Homer Simpson, with or without the dry firing

I can't imagine this ever happening but that's probably the only thing that would get me hot and bothered inside a gun shop

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well, I'm incredibly lazy and/or stupid, the only thing that would really bother me at a gun shop is if some other guy was looking over a firearm, glanced over at me, squared up and then aimed the gun at me like Homer Simpson, with or without the dry firing

I can't imagine this ever happening but that's probably the only thing that would get me hot and bothered inside a gun shop
    I had an old geezer try out his new can on his new AR at Engage one time... pointing it down the counter line directly at me. The Engage guy just sat there and watched. I took two steps back out of the 'line of fire'.

While I was attending my FIL's Arlington funeral service, the 21 gun salute was fired in our direction. Naturally I knew they were firing blanks, but watching those rifles pointing in our direction(though upwards) still gave me the heeby-geebies every time they fired.

Last edited:

fwgj

MDS Supporter
    Apr 18, 2022
    Up County MoCo
    I bet you'd be fun to watch at the Paintball/Airsoft field.
    Still snap at ‘em. Muzzle plugs in between rounds. Masks/goggles on. Barrels in safe directions off field. Don’t want to lose an eye on the paintball field just like I don’t want to catch a bullet at the range.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I agree with the other posts that it's our responsibility for our safety. First action upon being handed a gun is to clear it. Then there's never a problem

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Last gun shop I was in the employee opened the slide of the handgun I wanted to see, but handed it to me with a mag still in it. Logically we both knew it was unloaded but I ejected the mag immediately. Felt odd to inspect it with the mag in.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    For the first time in my recollection I went into a gunshop and the sales guy pulled a couple pistols out of a display and handed them to me without checking/clearing the chamber. I assumed this was standard practice but admittedly I havent been into much more than half a dozen shops.
    Would you:
    A) not say anything and just check/clear it yourself,
    B) say something,
    C) check it yourself and when done shopping leave and not come back

I was probably still in diapers when it was ground into my brain: “Never accept any firearm that has not been cleared by the ‘hander;‘ tell them, “YOU SHOW me, it is clear.”

IT WORKS very effectively cuz they’re left standing there, somewhat uncomfortably, sorta like someone who has reached out to shake someone else‘s hand and … empty air …

I was still in grade school the first time I had to tell a schoolmate, “Dana” who was showing me his family’s Marlin lever guns and went to hand me one he‘d just grabbed out of the closet … “Uh-uh. YOU SHOW me, it is clear, first.”

Familiarity breeds contempt.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom